Enter to Win: iTunes from Impact Acoustics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
The Impact Acousticsteam wants to spice up your music collection. To that end, two (2) random winners will be selected from folks discussing the topic described below to receive a $50 gift certificate for iTunes.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:
  1. Do you use your IPOD or MP3 in your main audio video system?
  2. Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?
  3. What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?
Note this contest ends on February 28th, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jake51s

Junior Audioholic
1. Yes
2. Yes, I am currently using a modified xbox and XBMC with a 200GB HD for MP3 storage. Soon to be upgraded with a HTPC.
3. I think for the most part hard drive based music storage systems are a nicety but far from perfect. With any HT system above a HTIB it is very easy to pick out a compressed file compared to a CD, especially at higher volumes. To get around this files need to be either encoded at a much higher bitrate, i.e. 320k, which uses much more storage space, or not used as a primary listening source. They sure are fun though!

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
1. Yes, I use my ipod nano in my main system. I have a Denon AVR-4306 that has a proprietary connection scheme for an ipod.

2. No, I don't have a music server. I may purchase one in the future, but it isn't a priority right now.

3. I like the convenience of having all my music in one spot with the ability to easily create playlists and manage my collection as I see fit. I like the portability of my ipod. I can take music from home to work very easily with it. I like CDs, but I think they are way over priced. I'd rather spend that money on a DVD. Therefore I use Itunes to look for new music (great in this application), and then if I find something I really like I will consider buying the CD. Otherwise I buy individual songs from Itunes periodically.

R

Randos

Audioholic Intern
1. No I do not use my iPod or any other portable MP3 player in my main audio system. However, I do stream MP3s and FLACs directly from a server.

2. Yes, we (my roomate and I) have put together a 1 terrabyte digital media server for serving all of our music and DVDs.

3. I think hard drive based storage solutions are fantastic if incorporated correctly and the ripping of the digital source (DVD, CD, etc.) is done properly. As it stands now, the DVDs and CDs I purchase are ripped immediately to the server and then stored away somewhere incase the server should ever crash (though a RAID-5 array will be hard to lose entirely).

pappekak

pappekak

Enthusiast
1. Yes an iPod Mini.

2. Don't own one yet. I want to buy (or build) a server that stores both music and movies. We have a lot of movies we want to have instant access to.

3. I think MP3 players and iPods will be going to upgradeable flash memory in the next couple of years. Need to hold more music? Buy a larger SD memory card and slide it in. As far as music servers / HTPCs I am very excited about them, especially HTPCs. The great thing about HTPCs is they can serve as a DVR and mass storage for movies and music.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
No, I haven't gotten around to it yet. My wife and I both use our IPODs for the gym. The new videos on iTunes are sparking my interest for travel.

2. Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?
Not hooked up to the HT yet, I have a dedicated drive on my home desktop that stores ll our music for the ipods.

3. What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?
They are getting better as time goes. From what I know the software is the lagging factor at this point. The hardware seems solid enough. If they can get the software to actually add value to music listening (like itunes with downloading song and album data) I think it would help push HD based systems into more HT. Not really knowledgable on the subject, but those are my current perceptions.

G

gmoneyreece

Junior Audioholic
1- no, my wife has a ipod mini that she uses to work out and in her car

2- yes, xbox 360 connected the office media center edition pc for streaming all digital content to my denon 5805. i buy most of my music from i-tunes, convert it to an audio cd, and then rip it back onto my pc as mp3 files. this is a bit of a hassle but really the only way to have full RIGHTS OVER THE MUSIC I PAID FOR.

3- i like hard disc storage for media over traditional disc formats. it is much more convient and easier to use. that being said, i listen to alot of multi-channel audio (dvda, sacd) on my system too, and there is no current hard drive solution for high quality audio. Because of the lack of multichannel formated audio i do still need to use itunes. i have not purchased a standard CD in over 2 years.

B

briggek8717

Audioholic Intern
Yes.

I have a 2nd computer that I use as my MP3 server and have a Turtle Beach Audiotron that can see any MP3 on my network and play it through my receiver.

I really like having the convienece of having all of my music at my fingertips without having to swap CD's or anything.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Contest Questions:

1. No, I do not have MP3's on my main system but I do have satellite radio.
2. No, only a PC
3. I think that media center PCs will eventually become easier to use and in smaller form factors and will take the place of dedicated music servers in the home theater system. Portable devices, however, will remain popular for use on the go or in the car.

C

CooLJ92

Audioholic Intern
Do you use your IPOD or MP3 in your main audio video system?
Yes I do. Nice to play it on Neo and DTS Music surround sound

Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?
No, but interested.

What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?

I think they are great. Elimates the hassle of inserting CD's to hear music. Nice to create playlist of favorate songs too. Can't leave home without my iPod when I travel.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
jcPanny said:
Contest Questions:

1. No, I do not have MP3's on my main system but I do have satellite radio.
2. No, only a PC
3. I think that media center PCs will eventually become easier to use and in smaller form factors and will take the place of dedicated music servers in the home theater system. Portable devices, however, will remain popular for use on the go or in the car.
Ditto but, I'm very old school. I like to see my wall of cds & dvds In the home. It's just easier to scan and pick out what strikes my fancy. I'll change slowly and the systems will get easier I just have to push myself more.

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
1. I have a small MP3 player wich I sometimes connect to my home theater system through my receiver.

2. I currently do not have a music server. I would like too but until I can get high quality audio from it easily, i'll continue using multi-channel formats (SACD, DVD, etc).

3. The best part about having a home theater PC or music server is the ability to store all of the media in one location. This provides for easy access as well as quick selection/playlists, etc. The down side is the lack of quality from common forms of digital MP3's.

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
$50 in music "rental" wooo hooo!

1) No

2) I use a SA TiVO with the music and photo streaming from my PC

3) I wish my tivo could handle a more lossless format than MP3 320 kbps. When the $/GB magnetic storage gets more affordable I am going to try a lossless (PCM) setup for music streaming. The CD will be archive only.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
(1) Do you use your IPOD or MP3 in your main audio video system?

You betcha'

(2) Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?

Yes, I do, an older G3 as a music server

(3) What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?

The wave of the future...oh wait, the future is here ;) I think that music servers (as prices come down) will be the standard, with MP3 players as secondary units.

L

lbjazz

Audioholic Intern

I use MP3s OGGs and FLACs in my system.

I use my computer for music storage. I can't say that I understand the need for a dedicated digital music server. A standard computer can do just as much or more for less money. With wireless networking and the plethora of new wireless music transmitters for home audio, I simply do not understnad what the draw of such epensive devices are. Like I said, a computer can do just as much for less money, and actually be used as a computer.

3. What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?s

The portable players are great for travel and daily use. I have a Creative Zen Touch that I like and my next big purchase is a SonyEricsson K750i that plays mp3s and has a MS Duo slot. (not to mention a pretty good 2MP camera) HTPCs are great too, especially if you store everything in a lossless file type such as FLAC.

Hanse18

Hanse18

Audioholic
1. No, My entire family has iPods but we have no direct connection to our home theater.

2. I happen to be building ours right now. It will be used for storing music, movies, and tv shows via PVR.

3. I have viewed the transition towards digital technology (in music as well as other media such as movies) as inevitable. It seems we all have a craze for making things as small as possible. First it was cell phones, and now that they are microscopic, manufacturers are turning to the digital music players and making them as small as possible, and then claiming it can hold however many songs... as long as you rip them at like 1 bit / sec lol. Of course the general public doesnt really notice the difference between a compressed audio file and the original cd track anyways, so i think this is definitely the future... at least until companies figure out how to beam music and tv shows directly into our heads (i think i may have stolen that idea from someone else here... sorry lol).

T

talannar

Junior Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
The Impact Acousticsteam wants to spice up your music collection. To that end, two (2) random winners will be selected from folks discussing the topic described below to receive a $50 gift certificate for iTunes.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:
Note this contest ends on February 28th, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

1) No, I do not use my IPOD that way.

2) I have music on my computer, but I don't have it hooked up as a music server. It't not a priority for me right now.

3) I have no problem with HD based players. If they really wanted to make them flexible they could use removable media, but that media isn't up to it yet. I won't be surprised to see a 100 gig MP3 player come soon to mass market. That's a lot of music.

B

bhdtv

Audiophyte
Do you use your IPOD or MP3 in your main audio video system?
No, just the car and at work (cheap computer speakers)​

Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?
I currently use home PCs. I may explore the possibility of a server later. I have concerns about where rights management is going, but the idea of instantly-accessible high-quality music storage is certainly attractive.​

What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?
I like the idea a great deal, provided that the music is at least CD quality and the video is HD (or at least when the source is).​

R

rr2465

Junior Audioholic
Answers

1. Yes - I use my iPod with my home theater, car and portable speakers at work.

2. No digital storage and probably no purchase in the future. Everything is from the ipod or itunes. Why change?

3. As much as I've always loved CD's and LP's - to be able to have a portable music device that you can quickly plug into an amp and get any music list or set you want - totally awesome. I never thought I'd like it this much.

P

PSU80

Junior Audioholic
1. My iPod is occassionally used with the main system but not primarily.
2. Don't have a music server that stores music directly although I use my Tivo to wireless stream music from my Mac G4.
3. I think a music server would be great provided there is no give up in quality relative to CDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis