Enter to Win: iTunes from Impact Acoustics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt34

Matt34

1. Do you use your IPOD or MP3 in your main audio video system?
Not yet but plan on too.

2. Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?
No, maybe.

3. What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?
Very convenient, couldn't live without it now that I have experienced it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AV Novice

Audiophyte
Do you use your IPOD or MP3 in your main audio video system?
Nope. Too hard to pry out of kids' hands.

Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?
I have one. It's simply a computer we used to not use. Works great as a music and picture server.

What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?
They're a great tool. As technology continues to consolidate I think music will be a differentiating factor. What with email, phones, handheld bar code scanners, RFID and music all coming together, the workforce of the future will be very different from that of today.

Last edited by a moderator:
sbader2

sbader2

Junior Audioholic
1. I don't use my iPod in my main A/V system but I do use my PC (connected through optical to my receiver)

2. My PC is basically a media server. Since I got my PowerBook I have no use for the PC. I have loads of hard drive space on the old PC so I keep all my music stored on there.

3. I have a 20gb iPod and I absolutely love it. This is my second iPod. The ease of use is just phenomenal. I also love using my PC for media at my house, just out of the pure convenience. Of course, the quality of basic MP3s are not as good as the originals but its something you just have to live with. I find it very annoying to go through different CDs, load them in and what not. Also, being able to pick a playlist quickly is very nice.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
No

2. Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?
I could definetly see me hooking up either an Ipod or a home PC to my receiver to playing stored music through my system.

3. What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?
I believe the provide an excellent single place to store a ton of audio, as well as a large assortment of different types of audio. I have so many CD's it's not practicle for me to store all my CD's in my living room now. It's much easier to convert them to digital format, and connect that media to a home audio system.

M

MrMezz

Enthusiast
[*]Do you use your IPOD or MP3 in your main audio video system?
I use both in my audio video system. I plug my IPOD in from time to time but prefer the MP3 format.

[*]Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?
I expect to buy a music server in the future.

[*]What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?
I love the hard drive based systems. I am unable to spend the necessary time to get everything arranged the way I want. However, you can beat the convenience once everythings loaded.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Okay; here are the answers to your questions.

[*]Do you use your IPOD or MP3 in your main audio video system?

I don't have an IPOD and MP3 files are not of high enough quality for serious listening let alone archiving.

[*]Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?

I don't have one and I don't see one for me in the near future.

[*]What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?

I am a computer professional and I know for a fact that hard drives are not a reliable medium for long term storage of any kind of valuable data, music or otherwise.:cool:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Tom Andry said:
I do not use my portable MP3 player as part of my main home audio system, but I have considered the Crestron iPod interface... maybe.

Tom Andry said:
Do you have a music server (home component) that digitally stores music and if not, is that a component you'll be purchasing in the future?
Yes, I currently have an iMerge S1002 which is a few years old but is a 40GB digital music server for two zones. Not quite as nice as the Audio Request products but a good deal better than Escient for digital music serving. Hopefully the iPod will come out with more digital serving interfaces that allow it to dock and serve a lot better than currently allowed.

Tom Andry said:
What are your thoughts about hard drive based music storage systems such as portable MP3 players, IPODs and music servers/ home theater PC's?
I believe that digital is the present and the future. There are those who simply look at digital music, especially mp3, as a horrible trend in music, but the reality is that when albums and tapes were both available, tapes were very popular for one main reason: Portability. Music has always been something to take with you, to listen to on the go. The very first music wasn't something for the privacy of the home, but was the musician on stage, singing to a group. It is still the same - music is a public spectacle and home use is secondary. I enjoy having it available to me in my home and quality is not my #1 concern. Having my music, the stuff I like most, right at my fingertips... convenience... that's what it is all about. I believe this is the case for almost all people in the world. A very small handful are after quality above all else, and they still have CDs available as well as lossless encoders available. Heck, a terrabyte of storage comes around $500.00 these days and that'll give you (roughly) 2,000 albums of uncompressed original CD quality. Unbelievable really, and I've been onboard for quite a while now.

N

Nate552

Enthusiast

1. Yes
2. no
3. hard drive mp3 players will continue to face the challenge of th flash drive. As the size of flash drives increase they will over take hard drive players. But of course music servers will remain hard drives. I'm not sure how the home theater pc will turn out. Most people don't want a pc in their living room and don't have the home network to support it. BUt as WiFi becomes better maybe it will change.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
1-Not at the moment, I do have a DVD player that will play MP3s (and I use it for that function quite often)
2-Basically yes, I have all my music stored on the main computer, which on occasion I will hook up to the receiver. But I usually just put 500 songs on a dvd-r and play it in my dvd player.
3-My setup works fine for me, I am debating on getting a dedicated MP3 player (but it must support WMA)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
1.) Yes, Creative Zen Micro (screw you apple)

2.) Yes, my computer. Hooked up to receiver with Digital Coax cable.

3.) They are handy for the gym, and can hold enough songs to choke something... large. It's hard finding players with a nice sounding headphone out, apple Ipods suck, and have no EQ (with bands). So far, Only creative has been good.

Basically, Apple can go to hell, along with Bono.

SheepStar

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Hey SheepStar, you did notice this contest was for Americans only, eh? Aaah, what the hey, even if I can't win either . . .

1. Only once in a while will I connect my iPod to my receiver and put it on shuffle while I clean the apartment or cook dinner.

2. Nope. No desire to.

3. I really like portable mp3 players. I love my iPod -- goes wherever I do, and it's nice to have a couple thousand songs in my pocket. Music servers, though, not so much. I don't keep much music on my PC's hard drive. I wouldn't mind having a home theatre PC, though. Might be fun. But then again, I don't want to have to boot up every time I want to watch a show or a movie. I like the on switch on my components.

cheers,
supervij

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hey SheepStar, you did notice this contest was for Americans only, eh? Aaah, what the hey, even if I can't win either . . .
I know, but I wanted to get a shot at apple in. :D

SheepStar

Senior Audioholic
I own an MP3 player. I really do not buy into Apple's I-tunes because they are too restrictive. You are limited to I-pods only for portable playback. If your computer crashes and you loose your origonals you have to repurchace them

For home media players any old computer can be am MP3 server. I mean ANY like an old 486 running windows 95 shareing its drives on your LAN or running Shoutcast server is plenty fast enough for one or two streems.

I am lookig for a nice easy to use player/streem receiver that could be put in an audio rack. The ones I have seen are just too expencive and require propriatery server software to be used on the server.

As for hard drive based protable music devices. I just don't need to carry 50 gigabytes of MP3's every where I go. I have a 1 gigabyte MP3 player and thats more than enough space for me.

R

rahuls

Audiophyte
Yes, I do use IPOD in my main audio video system.

No I dont have one and I am not thinking of purchasing one in future

I think Ipod shuffle with their compace size and easy portability are a great choice and provide best value for the amount of money you invest to but it.

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic

Have music server attached and use winamp with ASIO bitperfect digital audio

Yes i have a PC connected via TOSLink to my receiver and VGA to my hdtv. Winamp visualizations are awesome at 50"

i like the idea, can have a huge amount of storage, with redunancy if you use a raid solution with easy rapid access to all of it, also easy to stream music all around the house using a PC

H

heikie

Enthusiast
I have a laptop that is connected to my 802.11g network that accesses mp3s on my openbsd 3.8 server running samba.

I currently use my laptop for this. I have been looking for something more portable with a better audio outpu and more resistent to network interference.

I think that they are excellent. I currently use my laptop for this but, it is hard to put a laptop in your pocket and go for a bike ride.....
The ideal for a person such as myself would be something with lots of storage and wireless connectivity.

bwood

bwood

Enthusiast

sometimes i hook my laptop up to the stereo

not a dedicated one, use laptop when i really want it

i think they are a good idea if you make sure you have near lossless compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis