Enter to Win: Intimus 5DB Dipole/Bipole Surround Speakers from Aperion Audio!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jm78

Junior Audioholic
1. How do you research home audio gear?

I use mostly online research. I look at both forum advice (audioholics, avs, etc) and professional reviews. Many times if I'm interested in a product, I will google it to find out info.

2. Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)

I buy usually online. If buying from a new site, I check their returns and warranty policy first. No return period is a big red flag and would usually not make the purchase. The warranty length is not as important as returns but it tells me if a company is willing to stand behind its products. It could also signal a lack of quality. However, zero warranty is no purchase.

The downsides to retail are typically higher prices and pushy salesmen. Salesmen often are not looking out for customer's best interest and it shows. The biggest advantage of retail stores is they offer a listening environmnent. However, the last time I went to local Fry's store, the audio room wasn't even hooked up right.

3. What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)

Haven't had a great one yet. Perhaps it is because I cheapen out and not get what I really want. I will likely up my budget for my next home theater system purchase.

4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?

Price and value is very important. It is not just the cost of items but how well they compare to competitors relative to their price bracket.

I usually use a price checking search to find lowest prices. It really depends on the item to where the best prices are located. For instance, I love using amazon, but the item I'm looking for may not be sold there. EBay or craigslist has decent prices, but there are extra risks associated with buying used or from non-authorized dealers and I usually prefer buying new.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord

Online, AH and AVS

2. Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)

50/50 Online and local B&M. My local dealer is a good guy with great products but tries to push a little too much snake oil. Online varies.

3. What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)

When I got all my Paradigm gear, the dealer loaded it all up on some carts and we walked out into the parking lot and noticed I had driven my 350Z...We both just laughed. In my excitement, I drove the wrong car to the dealer.

The dealer really took his time and showed me all the speakers and left me alone as I listened to them.

4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?

Important. I can haggle most dealers down but it is difficult to beat online prices

E

echopoint

Audiophyte
How do you research home audio gear?
I usually research using the internet. I go to the websites of the companies, and download their literature and user manuals. Then I check reviews in online magazines, and read forums such as audioholics.com or avsforums.com

Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)
I used to buy in person in small stores specializing in high-end av equipment, but most of these are no longer in business. Then I switched to big box retailers that had product such as Magnolia Hi-Fi, or Best Buy. I haven't made any recent purchases, but I suspect in the future, they will all be online.

What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)
One of the best experiences was at a small local retailer that had a great selection of equipment that I could audition and a knowledgable staff.

How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?
Price is fairly important, as it's hard to find the personal service these days. I find good prices by comparison shopping on the internet.

808htfan

Junior Audioholic
Contest Questions:
The process of where you can find and buy great audio products has changed a lot over the past few years… some good and some not so good! How have the changes impacted how you research and buy audio gear? Please tell us about your experiences.
1) Online in forums and pro reviews. Also some customer opinions/reviews.

2) Usually online at Authorized Dealers.

3) Probably getting my subwoofer, simply because it completed my 5.1 setup.

4) Best price/value is usually most important next to quality for $. I usually find the best price online, though shipping to HI is so darn expensive.

J

jb5200

Audioholic

I pretty much research 25 hrs./day, 8 days/week online - mostly forums b/c that's where you hear real users reviews.

I usually can't afford full retail so I usually buy used on audiogon, this forum, or any other forum that has classifieds. Sometimes Ebay but very limited.

The best was I bought Paradigm S8v2 speakers from a guy in Indiana and I had a buddy that lived there so I drove down to pick them up. He was really awesome. He was selling his C5 also but I didn't have enough money to buy but he knew I wanted it, not to mention I drove 7 hrs. to pick up the 8's. He let me take the C5 anyway without paying for it and he let me pay over the course of the next few months when I got the $. BEST guy in the world!!!!

Like I said I usually can't afford brand new so I have to buy used so I try to get the most out of my hard earned $ - I usually find it on Agon or this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Flyinace2000

Junior Audioholic
How do you research home audio gear?
Professional Reviews and Forums

Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)
Online. I shop for value and bang for you buck. Online is where that usually is. I like DIY so i don't often need help from a retail location

What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…What made it a really great experience?)
Only really bought online. I do like a site with great user reviews. Amazon.com's reviews are top notch.

How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?

Value. I usually shop on the Audioholics store and/or amazon.

G

GACrabill

Junior Audioholic
- Read lots of online reviews and personal experiences of others.

- Some was purchased based on price from reputable online dealers. Some was purchased from a local custom installer whose price quotes were better than the online dealers.

- I was very surprised when a local custom installer was willing to give me a price quote for only the equipment -and- his prices were good enough to earn my business.

4a. How important is getting the best price or value for the money?
- Very important.
4b. How and where do you typically find the best price?
- Usually at reputable online dealers.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
1)How do you research home audio gear?
Online. This forum and professional reviews
2)Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)
Online or used through craigslist or ebay...its a pain
3)What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)
Things bought from PartsExpress so far. Their service and knolwedge of
the products they carry is excellent.
4)How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?
It is very important to me, I am patient enough to wait for the perfect deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis