Enter to Win: Intimus 5DB Dipole/Bipole Surround Speakers from Aperion Audio!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Aperion Audio wants you to win!

Aperion Audio is giving away the chance to one (1) pair of Intimus 5DB Dipole/Bipole Surround Speakers to one (1) eligible forum member! The speakers are available in Gloss Black or Medium Cherry (winner's choice). At $345 each, this contest represents a $690 value!

Read the Audioholics take on the Aperion Intimus 5DB Surround Speaker in our review of the Aperion Intimus 6T-DB Hybrid XD system.

Features:
  • Dual 5.25” Woven-Fiberglass woofers deliver excellent bass and lush mid-range sound
  • Dual 1” custom designed silk-dome tweeters for smooth, clearly defined highs at even the highest volume levels
  • Anti-resonant cabinet
  • Wall mounting brackets
  • Furniture-Grade finish
  • Ten year warranty
  • FREE SHIPPING - a $35 value per pair
  • FREE lifetime technical support
  • FREE speaker care kit

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence and 3) Answer the following questions in the thread below.

Contest Questions:
The process of where you can find and buy great audio products has changed a lot over the past few years… some good and some not so good! How have the changes impacted how you research and buy audio gear? Please tell us about your experiences.
  1. How do you research home audio gear?
  2. Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)
  3. What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)
  4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?

Note this contest ends on September 30th, 2010. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Audioholics!
2. Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)
Usually online through an authorized retailer, usually found through amazon. If I go to a retail store, it's only to check it out in person, or to buy used equipment.
3. What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)
A nearby record store where they sell all kinds of used speakers and electronics, with some records of course lol. The employee who I've talked to on multiple occasions is extremely helpful and courteous, and he doesn't believe in snake oil either!
4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?
It is very important to get the best value without skimping on quality. Best deals are usually online, or mom and pop shops like the one mentioned above.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
    Honestly I do most of my research right here. Audioholics' Pro Reviews are about the only pro reviews that I take seriously, and I have a lot of respect for my fellow members.
    I tend to buy online. I buy commodity items like electronics from discounters and speakers/subs from trusted retailers or more commonly internet direct manufacturers.
    I had a very specific audio challenge and an internet direct manufacturer worked with me to modify their offering and solve my problem. While that was the best I have yet to get less than stellar service from an internet direct company.
  4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?[/quote]
    Critical! I don't have a ton of money but I'm not shy about spending for good gear as long as I can get absolute top value for my money.

J

jhanley

Junior Audioholic

Through the web. Using sites like Audoholics and vendor sites.

Since price is a big consideration I buy 90% on-line.

I've yet to have a "great" experience buying A/V gear either on-line or at a local store. I hate to say it, but my best experience was buying wire/cable from Bluejeans. Fast service, knowledgeable folks and good product value.

Value is more important than price. So far the best price is on-line.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1) How do you research home audio gear?

From Audioholics reviews & forum, HTM, S&V

2) Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)

Either online or from local HT store, whichever gives me the best price; the stores are home theater stores

3) What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)

Buying my huge speaker system & TV from my local store, which price-matched the online store; the salesman was friendly, no pressure sale, the whole transaction was simple; they also gave me a 0% interest financing for 3 years

4) How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?

It is extremely important; the best price is usually online; however, the local stores can give me 3 yrs 0% financing, can may be even more important

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
How do you research home audio gear?

Basically AH articles or asking in the forums! Demo'ing whenever possible.

Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)

My last major buy was Best Buy because I had a discount for all my Def Tech gear. Otherwise, online.

What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)

The Def Tech buy, because I already knew what I wanted and got done in a couple minutes.

How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?

Very important, I spend a lot of time deciding on the cost/benefit decision. Online I usually find the best prices unless a B&M has a sale going on.

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic

Almost exclusively online forums... reading real users experiences with the product

Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)

Wherever I can get the best price... I like to support local businesses, and several of my purchases have been local... my favorite store went out of business though and I hate best buy

What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)

My receiver, I bought local 6 years ago. It was an open box super closeout, but the sales staff was extremely helpful, and even gave me a better price

How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?

Very, usually online

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Contest Questions:
The process of where you can find and buy great audio products has changed a lot over the past few years… some good and some not so good! How have the changes impacted how you research and buy audio gear? Please tell us about your experiences.

I start looking and asking questions here and then on to a few other web sites, I always come back here before my purchase and ask again,excellent member knowledge.
2. Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products?
(How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)I buy mostly online from a few different vendors they usually have the best prices and the shipping is always as fair as can be expected, sometimes it's even free which is always nice.
3. What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)It would be my last purchase of the SC 27 AVR, I got a call back,courtesy call before I bought to answer some of my questions about warranty and such, I got a call back 15 minutes after I paid to re-assure me of the quality of the item, not B-Stock, not a return just to tell me about the spectacular deal I was getting and about the warranty again and the return policy, then another phone call the next morning giving me the tracking number, three calls to my cell phone in 24 hours, great CS.
4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?We all shop for the best price just short of it being "if it's too good to be true it's a scam" that being said , the best deal on an additional piece to our HT puzzle is always welcomed and those deals are usually internet only.

Last edited by a moderator:
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Contest Questions:

I get recommendations from forums like this. Google the product to get as much info as possible and then try to find a way to hear them before buying, or buy them from someone who has a good return policy.

Usually someone who has a great reputation for quality products and good customer service.

The best “buying” experience I had was at a Tweeters. The Salesguy answered all my questions, knew what he was talking about, and left me alone with the equipment for an hour to play.

Cash is tight, so value is important. Service also has a value as does the ability to return product that I end up not liking. I do a lot of research here and online to find the best of both worlds.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
#1. How do you research home audio gear?
I usually come to forums first to get an idea of what is looking good from other people who might have the same kind of gear. Then I go to audition if possible.

#2. Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)
I buy online now. I check all the online sources and then take the one with the best price and customer service.

#3.What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)
My best experience was when I got my B+W 801's. I bought them from a studio and took a road trip to Jersey. The people were very friendly and I got a great deal.

#4.How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?
It is very important but not a dealbreaker. I will spend more if the place I buy from is reviewed well and has great customer service. Usually I find the best price by searching the internet and then calling around to local stores to see if they have what I am looking for and can match the price.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I try to find good reviews like the ones done here with actual measurements taken, even though I don't understand all of it. I also check out user reviews or informational threads like on avsforum.

Online retailers, like amazon. Decent prices, good customer service, and fair return policies are what draw my attention.

Well, I haven't made all that many audio purchases, and the ones made in actual stores were nothing special. I guess I'll go with getting my RC-10s (from vanns). No hassle, I got the color I wanted, the price was right, and they were shipped quickly.

Price is very important, but I wouldn't go with a shady looking or poorly rated store or dealer just to save a few bucks. I'd like to know the people I'm buying from stand behind the products they sell and are there to support customers with whatever issues they have. When it comes to actual price searching, I just check various webstores and a/v forums, unless I'm searching for used or discontinued gear. In that case I check audiogon or ebay or craigslist in addition to the forums.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Mostly through reading reviews and getting opinions of other users. Amazon gets some decent reviews from owners, sometimes, but professional reviews from specialized sites (such as AH) is a great way to get some intimate details which may be lacking. I still look at the magazines (S&V/HT) for reviews as well, and I do get into BB to listen/view some items from time to time just to get a feel for something. Asking, on a good forum, is typically a good way to get some good opinions.

A lot I buy direct, but Amazon is a typical starting point for many products. They have a decent return policy, and good shipping policy (Prime member). I have returned stuff to them without issue or restocking fees, and have been generally happy. Manufacturers I have gone direct to I have done so due to very good reviews. Visual Apex is my choice for projectors, but I have heard good stuff from others as well. Monoprice for cabling, every time.

Best is hard to say. I like Monoprice and Visual Apex. I like to browse, check prices, etc. But, when I buy, I don't want to get flooded with SPAM, and I want to not be hassled. A simple order confirmation and follow up delivery notice was about all I have gotten from these guys. It was really a pleasure doing business with them. Plus, no lines like I have in stores.

It's extremely important. I've used Craigslist and Audiogon as well as eBay to get phenomenal pricing on stuff. I've used Google Shopping to find best prices online from reputable stores and I typically hold very little allegience to a single store. As with product manufacturers, there are a lot to choose from, and sometimes finding the 'best product' in each category requires buying from 20 different manufacturers, with best pricing coming from 20 different stores/locations.

gregcss

gregcss

Audioholic Intern
1. How do you research home audio gear? professional review sites such as audioholics, avrev, etc. AND forums such as the audioholic forum or AVS.

2. Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?) in the past it was at a specialized dealer but i am currently looking at internet direct.

3. What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?) I've only purchased a few times from specialized dealers, some better than others, friendly staff I suppose though i already new what i wanted.

4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price? Very important, i do want to get good equipment and will pay for it but dont want to pay twice the amount for markups. Internet direct companies such as emotiva, ascend, etc seem to offer great equipment for a great price.

L

LimiterOne

Enthusiast
That depends, but as of now the first place I go is Audioholics, to see if there are reviews or forum opinions on what I'm looking at. After that I'll usually Google for reviews and follow the links. If I can find it locally to audition I will definitely check it out live.

If I can find it at Amazon and trust it for shipping, I'll generally order from there (Amazon credit doncha know). I have made purchases at the big box shops as well as locally-owned stores as well.

Buying a speaker set from Orb Audio was very rewarding due to simplicity, timely order arrival, and my satisfaction with the product.

4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price? Very important, as I'm on a comparatively limited budget... and I typically, though not always, find the best pricing online, whether used or new.

C

chkngreez

Enthusiast

Auditioning, internet, magazines

I typically audition something in store, then find a better deal online.

When I bought my pro amp to run my diy sub. Knowing I would have all that power at my disposal just gave me goosebumps.

Price is very important. I usually bargain shop on the internet and have one store price match another, then another and so forth until the bottom line is met.

J

Jason626

Enthusiast
1. How do you research home audio gear? Internet searches, Manufacture product pages, Forums, and if able to go see something in person.

2. Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?) I buy alot from online simply becuase of prices and promo/discounts. If a retail store nearby has what I want for same price I'll go with them that way theres no shipping delay/concerns and returning items whether defective or not wanting doesn't put me out for shipping costs and delay on getting a product back right away.

3. What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?) I think like with any purchase having good sales help that shares as much information they can give you and explain that information so you can understand it. Simplicity is always great as well.

4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price? extremely important. For me, It's really what it comes down to.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
A: I usually start on these forums. Then I may check Cnet. I also google the product to see what owner's are saying.

A: I would say half the time I buy from Amazon and the other half of the time would be second hand on Craigslist or Ebay. I never purchase from retail stores.

A: My best experience is buying from Axiom. Brent (the gentleman I usually speak with there) is extremely knowledgeable, helpful, and professional.

A: The best price is the most important thing. A close second would be confidence that who I am buying from stands behind their product.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
1. Online forums (Audioholics, AVS, ect) mainly, but also online review mags (Affordable Audio, HT Mag, Sound & Vision, Soundstage, ect.), especially for speaker/sub measurements and AVR test bench results.

2. I buy online, either new (various authorized retailers and ID companies) or used (Audiogon, ebay). Where I buy from new depends on who has the best deals and who has good customer service and return policy.

3. I've had several good experiences with online retailers. The biggest keys are fast shipping, properly packing products for shipping (seems silly, but not all places do this), and no hassles with returns or damaged/defective items....basically, keeping the process of buying audio headache free.

4. Value for my money is really #1 on my list when it comes to buying audio. Between the forums and quick net searches, it's not tough to come across good deals out there.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Initially, I research in online forums (Audioholics, AVSForums, etc.) and online review magazines. I then attempt to audition the gear via a retailer if possible.

I usually buy from a large electronics store (new) or online (new/used) depending on what I consider to be a better deal. My large electronics store is usually Fry's (but occasionally Best Buy). My online dealer is usually Amazon. However, I do get used/refurbished gear from E-bay, Audiogon and Craigslist, too.

My best experience was buying two Infinity Primus speakers at Fry's Electronics for $99 and tossing them into the back of my Prius. I felt like I got a steal for some great towers at a white van price. (My best video purchase involved stuffing a 52" rear projection DLP still inside the box! into that same Prius to the amazement of several Texans who felt I needed a pickup truck or SUV to haul the box away!)

I find the best price through research. I check online retailers (E-bay, Audiogon, Amazon, Audioholics Store, etc.) and comparatively shop at retailers (Target, Wal-Mart, Fry's, Best Buy, Costco, Sam's Club, etc.) I typically find the best prices at Fry's then Amazon for new gear. I find the best prices for used gear on E-bay.

Q

q2bon2b

Enthusiast

Combination of online research via forums, reviews, magazine and word of mouth from fellow audiophiles.

It depends. I have bought from B&M stores, chain and specialty and lately, have also been purchasing a lot online. My last big purchase were hi-end speakers from an ID, so that was online.

Accurate and honest information, as well as accommodating approach of the stereo store, that clinch the deal for me on a previous purchase.

Value for the money is naturally an important point to me. Best price is a factor but I factor in other intangibles like reputable customer service, return policy, warranty and service center availability. I generally research online first and then make my buying decision. Online dealers generally have the best price but I also frequent B&M stores that can sometimes price match or offer great value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis