Enter to Win: Intimus 5DB Dipole/Bipole Surround Speakers from Aperion Audio!

Status
Not open for further replies.
purdaddy

purdaddy

Audiophyte
Aperion Audio entry

1. How do you research home audio gear?

90% online, 10% in store/dealers. Only a couple decent dealers in town, and both expect to be paid a king's ransom.

2. Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)

75% of my purchases are done online. However, the larger ticket items have historically been purchased from the dealer in person.

3. What was your best home audio buying experience and why?

Haven't necessarily had anything great that could be written home about. I have landed some fantastic used purchases from Craigslist ads where I got to meet other HT fanatics and take their sweet gear at killer prices....

4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?

This is very important to me. I usually research what I want based on reviews and some in person auditioning where I can, and then it's a lengthy process of searching for those items in used, but nearly new condition to avoid paying retail where possible.

HtH (and I win ;) ),

-Patrick

G

Gatsby191

Audioholic
Contest Entry

I strictly use the internet to research any and all gear I am considering for purchase. And then, just before I 'pull the trigger', I post questions on this site and maybe one other site, to get the opinions of other AV fanatics like myself, just to make sure there isn't anything I missed, and to get the extra confidence I need to finally buy my new toy.

2. Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)
It has varied for me. I try to do everything strictly from internet retailers. They tend to have the best deals, and I haven't run into any arrogant sales people or customer service reps yet. I can't say the same for the 2 local BBs and CC I had visited in the past. I even pre-order all of my movies from Amazon.com now.(2 years and counting) I did however, purchase my speakers(except my sub)from a registered dealer who was a close friend.

3. What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)
It just so happened, that I purchased my subwoofer from Aperion Audio. I did my research online, and I then called them. It was the best experience I ever had on an AV purchase. The salesman listened to me go on and on, and remained patient. I received all the answers I was looking for. And then there was the 30 day in home audition they gave me, with the option of being able to send there sub back if I didn't like it after the 30 day audition. And they eat the shipping too. Happy to say, my Intimus Sub is still performing the same way it did on day one.

4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?
I think it's one of the most important things to consider when making an AV purchase. These are man toys we are talking about, and I for one, love my toys, and I have to save for quite a long time before I am able to buy a new toy.
As I mentioned earlier, I almost always(99.9% of the time)find the best deals on any gear I want, on the internet.
Joe B.

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
How do you research home audio gear? - Audioholics, AVS Forums and a general google search on reviews. If its gear thats available from B/M, I'll audition in person.

Where do you usually end up buying your home audio gear? - For the last 5 years, I've purchased everything online (Emotiva, B&H, Outlaw & Saturday Audio Exchange).

What was your best home audio buying experience and why? - I would say that all four of the above outfits were beyond expectations, as online retailers should be, but I'd give the edge to Emotiva. Called once and spoke to Lenny directly and he was very helpful.

How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price? - Sales, Sales, Sales...I do not have a problem buying last years model if the savings are substantial.

M

Monkeypimp

Enthusiast
Mostly through Forums and internet sites, although ocassionaly I visit peoples houses to hear their systems as well

Online retailer. Some Internet Direct companies or retailers such as Amazon or Bestbuy and Audiogon.

3. What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)
Best audio home buying experience was when I bought my turntable from an online retailer. I called and spoke directly to the owner of the company and he spent the better part of 30 minutes on the phone discussing the differences in the turntables that were within my price range and never once tried to push a particular brand on me.

It is very important to me to get the best price/value for my money. Typically best price is found through researching the internet.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
How do you research home audio gear?
Normally use the web and or forums.
Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)
Well known, good reputation for customer service, quality products.
What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)
My best buying experience is not feeling like I could have got a better deal somewhere else, after the fact. Getting a true competitive price and not finding it 2 or 3 months down the road at a substantially lower price. Feeling like you could have gotten a better item for the same price ruins the buying experience everytime.
How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?
The best price or value ranks #1 with me. I don't ever have a good time giving away money to a retailer when i could have saved at another location. I usually find the best price by researching the web.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

godan

Audioholic Intern

forums and review sites

whoever has the best price

none, haven't bought anything in years (broke)

very important, find the best price going to nextag and the like

the grunt

the grunt

Audioholic
Online. Partly based on the “feel” of the companies website (some raise red flags). Also based on professional reviews. Some armature forum reviews but only if I’ve read enough of the armature’s posts to see that they don’t have an agenda and then I’m mostly looking for comparisons like which brands sound similar.

About 50% online (very cost effective and outstanding customer service), 40% retail big-box (convenient especially for items I might want to try out and return for something else), and 10% retail boutique (great for making comparisons especially of high dollar items that I want to try before I buy.

Local boutique. The owner had a passion for audio, was knowledgeable and didn’t try to BS me.

Overall value is more important than best price. I consider price but also customer service, convenience, and ability to “try before I buy.” I check online, local adds and browsing some stores.

M

mjmchugh

Enthusiast
All Online at manufacturere's sites mainly

I order online by best price, try to stick to reputable online dealers, , I may go to a retail store to see and listen, but I am a big "review" guy and rely heavily on reviews and in-house trial. Do not like big box stores, very occassionally I will go in for a purchase but I usually already know what I want. There is a small audio store near me I will frequent but usually products are above my price range
1) Online was-Small online speaker company with a risk free in home trial, and very knowledgable and responsive staff
2) In a store was a small high end audio store store in Wernersville PA and the knowledge and service was amazing

4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money?
Extrememly important on both accounts How and where do you typically find the best price?Online price comparisons mainly, although I will also stop in some local retail shops to see what may be on sale if local fliers are not online

Thanks

Mike

A

acacia987

Junior Audioholic
1. Online reviews for all except speakers. For speakers i would like to demo them along with reviews.

2. I usually buy from internet direct sites or through audiogon for used equipment

3. I bought a pair of speakers from Axiom and the process was extremely painless and packaging was superb.

4. Extremely. I am a value driven person. As long as it meets my minimum needs i usually go for the best value.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I don't research audio gear - I research HT gear :p

Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)
Mix - generally as the price goes up I buy local retail - but I ensure it is comprable to online prices

What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)
Most likley my first full HT set fo speakers (Def Techs). I bought them through a small local store. I must have gone to listen to them 20 times before I had the money to buy them. Owner was very patient and willing to let me take the time till I was confortable with the purchase.

How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?
Price plays into the factor, but it is more about not taking a hard sell aproach. I have found even in small local store this is becoming more common.

C

chkngreez

Enthusiast
Online reviews.
I usually end up buying online @ the best price I can find.
When I bought my first real receiver. I had a htib before, so buying the real deal was my best home audio buying experience.
Very important. I have a few websites that I have compete with one another to give me the best price.

W

waxey

Junior Audioholic
1.How do you research home audio gear?
I use the internet this forum user & pro reviews and the products web site.
2.Where do you usually end up buying your audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?)
Try and buy most everything on line or an authorized dealer close to me.
Had a bad experience with 3rd. party dealer from amazon;so now I google first if not sure of dealer.
3. What was your best home audio experience and why? (Was it the information you received,the sales person,the great coffee, the simplicity...what made it a really great experience?)
Buying my front and center speakers as the sales person worked with me on price for the fronts and the speaker company (Paradigm) to find a B stock center which he did.Saved alot of $$$.
4. How important getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price?
I think getting the best price & value are very important and are usually found on the internet.but for big ticket items like a t.v. I like using a local authorized dealer.

K

kokeshi

Enthusiast
nice speakers

1. How do you research home audio gear? I read stuff online.
2. Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?) Either online or in a store.
3. What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?) I am doing research now online; my best buy will be my next one- using information from this website.
4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price? Price is very important. Usually, the best prices are on the internet.

J

jgeorg5

Audioholic Intern
1. How do you research home audio gear? - I start with A/V forums like audioholics and the like and also look at manufacturer websites and A/V magazine websites.
2. Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?) - Online dealer or direct from the manufacturer
3. What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?) - I bought my sub direct from the manufacturer. I've had a few conversations with the people there (email and phone calls) and they have been really helpful.
4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price? - Getting the best value is very important, but as long as prices are realtively close, I will choose the one with the best after purchase support. To find the best price I will check the websites of authorized dealers and factor in things like shipping and taxes.

G

Guinness6

Junior Audioholic
Contest Questions:
The process of where you can find and buy great audio products has changed a lot over the past few years… some good and some not so good! How have the changes impacted how you research and buy audio gear? Please tell us about your experiences.

80% online in forums, searching and asking for advice, 20% in specialty stores, asking questions/soliciting advice and auditioning different speakers.
  2. Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?). 100% in-store, though I've been tempted to purchase some gear online, unheard.
  3. What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?). I went into the store thinking I was going to buy a HTIB system, but after talking with the sales guy about my habits and what I wanted to do in the future he talked me into a higher quality system. And I'm so glad he did! I fully appreciate it every time I turn it on. In short, it was the experience of talking to someone who knew what they were talking about and in a position to offer advice.
Good price is important, but I strongly feel you pay for the experience and knowledge of a rep (and its worth it).

Note this contest ends on September 30th, 2010. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck![/QUOTE]

gregt16g

gregt16g

Audioholic Intern
Audioholics & AVS

Online retailers

When I bought my receiver I got a great price on a great product....

Very important with a tight budget. Online, no doubt.

S

schaume

Enthusiast
contest

Go online and check out the audio reviews (Audioholics first of course!) from several different sites if possible.
Usually online (direct from the dealer vs Ebay vs other online certified dealers.
Best experience was from a smaller direct dealer (online over the phone) who went the extra step to take time with me to go over the options, set-up etc. I never felt rushed, or that my questions were too mundane.
Best price/value begins before the sale in my opinion (good research and matching needs vs wants), then spend some time online to comparison shop.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
The internet. Mostly AH.
The last couple of purchases were from the AH store. I found their service and pricing to be excellent.
Among the best was the puchase of my sub from SVS. The people I dealt with were very informative and the shipping and support after the purchase were flawless.
Bang for the Buck is most important thing for me. The best prices are usually found on the internet. AH, Amazon, sometimes even Fleabay :eek:

C

Catnap

Enthusiast
Read audioholics and AVSforum
2. Where do you usually end up buying your home audio products? (How would you describe the retail store or type of online dealer?) places recommended in forums and/or craigslist
3. What was your best home audio buying experience and why? (Was it the information you received, the sales person, the great coffee, the simplicity…what made it a really great experience?)Buying -online does not qualify as an experience. Getting it home and listening is the experience.
4. How important is getting the best price or value for the money? How and where do you typically find the best price? Very important. Shop around and/or buy used.

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
Reviews, particularly information from Audioholics members...

Prefer eBay, Amazon, or thrift/pawn stores - only if they have what I am looking for.

Recieved a great product online, the shipping was just GREAT - bought on a Friday and had it on Monday.

It's great to get a deal on something you are interested in, especially when browsing on eBay, Craigslist, or Amazon... these are the locations you can normally find the products you want at excellent prices - however, if they don't have what I want, I would go the extra yard and pay a bit more for the premium product that I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis