Enter to Win: FREE DVIGear DVI+HDCP 2x1 Switcher!

What features are most important to you in a compact DVI or HDMI switcher?

• Suggested List Price

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Physical Size and Appearance

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Number of Inputs / Outputs

Votes: 44 62.9%
  • Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • Type of Audio Connectivity

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Ability to Scale Resolution of Output Signals

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Guaranteed to Handle 1080p HDTV

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Other (please specify in thread)

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randos

Audioholic Intern
Most important would be type of/# of inputs followed closely by price. I don't have the budget at the moment for a new receiver so a switch would be my next option. Look/size is a plus but not a necessity.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
A remote would be key for me. Without one id rather wait until I get a new receiver.

N

nowonder

Audioholic Intern
Number of inputs is obviously the big winner here, but I actually have another concern.

Maximum cable length.

I have been reading that some products have problems driving 30+ft hdmi cables, even when using a very high quality cable. With home theaters catching on, this is going to become more common. My theater has a 40ft hdmi run to the projector, if the switch was documented to work at my length, I would be much more likely to buy.

edit: Just read the article, see it's good up to 65ft! Very happy to see this.

--nw

S

ssu

Enthusiast
Hi,

I found a HDMI switch for $199.99. It is a 2 port IN and 1 Out. It includes the remote and 2 cables of your choice. They were nice enough to let you choose either HDMI or HDMI-DVI cables before shipping.

I used it with my LG DVD and Samsung TV and worked fine.

www.octavainc.com

Hope this helps.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Either remote control and/or auto-sensing switching. One or the other is a must.

PPertierra

Audiophyte
What I would design...

I love the fact that HDMI came around. There was tons of confusion between the different DVI protocols and types (DVI-D,DVI-I, etc.) HDMI became a standard for hometheater and took the guesswork out of compatability issues and if you had the right type of DVI cable, etc.

I would design a switcher that would convert to the display's native resolution, or bypass it altogether (if you have your own scaler) and one that would identify the device being active and then route the signal where it's supposed to go (ex. when a dvd is played, it would route the signal to the display. when an SACD or DVD-A would be played, it would route it to the AV processor/ receiver). Another function would be to have some form of volatile memory (flash) to store settings via USB through your computer. A program could be created that would allow you to specify the devices you have and your setup and then flash the settings to the device. Cool, huh?

Sincerely,

Peter Pertierra :)

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
multiple factors

I love the idea of having a device which can essentially add hdmi inputs to my television without having to purchase a ver expensive home theater receiver. The more inputs the better. Also, the ability to support 1080p will be important to me so I can use that ability when HD dvds, blu ray ect are released. I don't really care how big and bulky it is as long as it has lots of functionality.

chriscmore

chriscmore

Junior Audioholic
My take on it:

Suggested List Price: This will be a stopgap product until processor/receiver/PJ evolution grows enough inputs where people don't find themselves needing a switcher. As such, a switcher is a need, not a want or performance enhancement. So, since it's a need, minimize the pain, and hence minimize the price. Now about $200 seems like an early-adopters price point, less later, and then basically worthless as switchers aren't as needed (e.g. RCA audio switchers)

Physical Size and Appearance: Small and basic. Early adopters have nice equipment, so make sure it's not a black wart on a otherwise gleaming rack of audio jewels.

Number of Inputs / Outputs: Possibly a couple models of 2, 3, or 4 inputs, but 1 out should be fine. Mostly people need these to support a one-cable install.

Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs: Mix it up, offer various versions. Let the user configure and order what they need.

Type of Audio connectivity: See above

Ability to Scale resolution of Output signals: Don't see a need

Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV: 720p is the major size of the market, but in a couple years 1080p will be needed for most. So, it'd be smart to do 1080p from the start.

Cheers,
Chris

N

Nozferatu

Enthusiast
HDMI switcher

I would like to see one thin. Less than one inch high.
Not like the KVM (Keyboard Video Mouse) switchers.
One that can be placed ontop of another component and be very unabtrusive.

Discreet codes are important.

I like the idea I read about locking them in.
I remember seeing a power center, one of those power strips that sit under a monitor that allowed you to open a hatch place the cable in and close the hatch so that it firmly kept the cables from moving.

CRAZY IDEA
I am not sure if this exists Can you controll the split better.

e.g. Can you take a a/v source and isolate the audio and video signals to the point you can see there format types on screen (1080i/480p and dts/etc..) and then build in audio delays that can be designated by the source format. :cool:

Just a thought!

Noz
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=95973#
Cool

C

cganesh75

Audiophyte
I prefer HDMI switcher

I would prefer having a HDMI switcher. I would like it to support audio and 1080p. I would like it to be under $200. automatic scaling of video is a must.

S

susan1215

Audiophyte
The price and functionality are the most important factors to me.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
as long as it worked, all id want is something for a good price.

mlbillow

mlbillow

Audioholic Intern
Definetly, cost and the number and type of connections are the most importing things to me.

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
A nice 2x1 HDMI switcher would be nice, but I'd like to know that it won't be obsolete if/when 1080p really makes it onto the scene. There's nothing I dislike more than finding out my gear is obsolete...Thanks Atari 1200xl...thanks for nuthin'! :D

Jason

F

fteixeira

Enthusiast
In the next 6-9 months I will be in the market for a switcher. Ideally here's what I'd like to see (in order of importance):

1. Number of inputs (ideally 3 HDMI, 1 DVI). I don't want to outgrow my gear. With HD-DVD/Blu-Ray coming, game console, DVD, sat/cable, ota tuner.... you need 4 inputs.
2. Cost. If the switcher is feature packed (most of the items on this list), a price od $350 is reasonable. Too much more than than that, I would start looking at out-board scalers.
3. HDMI out. HDMI is becoming the standard. DVI out would be nice.
4. Digital audio switching. A must through HDMI, but should have Coax and optical as well. This will be ideal if using a receiver/pre-pro for your audio processing.
5. 1080p capable. 1080p displays are slowing coming onto the market. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray may offer 1080p. I do not want my gear to be obsolete.

T

Topher

Junior Audioholic
Auto detection of signals

For me, auto signal detection & switching would be the most important, if this is possible. I don't need anymore buttons to push to watch tv. (And I don't need anymore buttons to have to teach to my girlfriend.)

S

sapphire9800

Audiophyte
-the promise of increased compatibility and operability
-easy access to two video sources
-quality of picture and hardware
-instant change between sources
-flexibility in source and display compatibility
-compatible with dvi and hdmi
-retail price of 300usd
-toslink audio

functionality and pricing are most important
value is also very important

:p you guys rock, peace out!

J

jehelmes

Audiophyte
DVI / HDMI Switcher

Suggested List Price: $99.99

Physical Size and Appearance: 17" wide for stacking (with typ. receiver or DVD player) & in silver or black to match 99.9% of DVD players.

Number of Inputs / Outputs: 4 in / 1 out

Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs: HDMI only (backward compatible with DVI, adapters can be used.)

Type of Audio connectivity: none (we all have AV receivers with plenty of these, but no HDMI or DVI).

Ability to Scale resolution of Output signals: not for $99

Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV: again, not for $99 (but remember that the 1080i HDTV standard will likely last as long as the pathetic 480i NTSC standard).

Other: I have a HR10-250 HD DirecTIVO (HDMI out) & a Denon DVD-1600 (DVI out) sharing a Sanyo Z2 (DVI in). Current switching solutions are available for $200-250. However future Xbox360 & PS3 purchases will obsolese that in less than a year. A current 4x1 is $350, which could fit the bill for a while, but 3 or 4 bills buys an awful lot of DVD's or HD PPV's that I can enjoy after about 10-20 seconds of manual labor. Yes it's a bit of a pain, but it doesn't hurt me enough to justify a $350 switch.

This reminds me of the last AV input dilemma--component video. Before AV receivers finally caught up with the times, solutions were few and far between...and very expensive, e.g. the $350 JVC 555. Fortunately word got out that a simple $20 AV switch did a perfectly fine job as long as you coordinated the red-green-blue and the red-yellow-white. But when Pelican introduced their "HD System Selector" for just $99 list, I rushed to my local Best Buy...and picked up an open box model for $83. This little gem can switch 8 sources, including 3 HDTV component video sources with optical digital audio and ethernet. If they can build a unit bristling with AV jacks for under $99, I can't see why an all-HDMI switch couldn't be profitable for $99.

Yes a $300 model would be VERY profitable, but the customer base would be largely made up of guys with motorized projector screens that drop down in front of fireplace-mounted plasma screens (you know, for daytime viewing). Meanwhile a $99 unit ropes in the masses of guys who hope they have enough left over in the checking account after the mortgage is paid to tap the ATM and buy a new toy for their basement.

Build a $99 4x1 HDMI switcher and they will come (at least until the AV receiver manufacturers decide to join the 21st century and add HDMI jacks to the plethora of mostly unnecessary AV jacks.)

M

mbtlriley

Audiophyte
I think having a high quality switcher would be ideal for me, since I own a pre-pro (Integra Research RDC-7) and a DVD player (Integra Research RDV-1) that do not come with DVI or HDMI inputs or outputs. I hope the unit would be able to take a component connection and convert it to a digital signal. Maybe that's impossible, I don't know, but it would be cool. I am interested in buying a 1080p, Lcos T.V. and I hear that they perform better with a digital connection. If your unit does such a thing, I would be honored to receive one and become one of your promoters. Thank you for the contest and the opportunity to win such a great product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis