Enter to Win: FREE DVIGear DVI+HDCP 2x1 Switcher!

What features are most important to you in a compact DVI or HDMI switcher?

• Suggested List Price

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Physical Size and Appearance

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Number of Inputs / Outputs

Votes: 44 62.9%
  • Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • Type of Audio Connectivity

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Ability to Scale Resolution of Output Signals

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Guaranteed to Handle 1080p HDTV

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Other (please specify in thread)

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

biorep

Audioholic Intern
# of inputs. Will xbox 360 have dvi/hdmi? I'd like to run console, dvd, and 811 reciever to tv either hdmi/dvi

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I along with most others, went with price, number and type of inputs/outputs. It doesn't have to look pretty, since it just gets jammed under the tv cabinet anyway. Though it would be nice to have a component sized box that i could stack with my other components.

Number is important, since you wouldn't need a switcher if you had a lot of inputs on your TV to begin with. Type needs to match whatever TV you pick.

M

mawst95

Audioholic Intern
Price. Doing what it says well with some forward thinking.

Matt

D

dombrain

Audiophyte
In the receiver or externally

For me the question comes down to whether I want my receiver to be exclusively for audio or to perform audio and video. Currently, I'm leaning toward the latter and am interested in purchasing a Yamaha Rx-v2600, a pioneer elite vsx 74txvi or even a JVC 702b. The biggest drawback to any AV reciever solution, however, is that unless you're willing to go flagship you only get 2 HDMI inputs, which is clearly in adequate if you have an assortment of DVD changers, satelittle, plasma, Xbox, single disc player, PVR etc.

For me an ideal switcher would be 4 HDMI inputs, plus an assortment of component connections (forget composite and cut back on the S-video). The unit would then transcode and scale the output to 720p or 1080i with the potential for 1080p.

It would also be nice if you could find a way for the unit to be upgraded to Hdmi 1.2 and eventually 1.3 without having to throw away the unit (firmware upgrade or hardware expansion slot).

Ideal price point <$300.

jthomp27

jthomp27

Audioholic Intern
#1 - Suggested List Price - I need it to cost less than $100
#2 - Number of iputs - minimum of three (should handle DVD/HD DVD, Cable Box/Satellite Receiver, Game System
#3 - Support 1080P - that *should* be the standard in the not too distant future. If nothing else, PS3 and Blu-Ray will support it.

Z

zoran

Audioholic
Av Switcher

I think HDMI is the way to go, with full audio video support and UPGRADE capability from the manufacturer towards new specs that seems to be rapidly changing.

A bit more sturdy, secure connection will be appreciated.

At least should be compatable with 4-5 AV components at reasonable price!

T

TamaraDLeonard

Enthusiast
Price is first consideration, and the number of connections so that I can run all of my other components is very important. Also, the size would be a consideration.

J

jrfuda

Audioholic Intern
If you could design a compact DVI or HDMI switcher product, what features would be most important?

Please take into account all factors that you feel are important such as:

Suggested List Price
Physical Size and Appearance
Number of Inputs / Outputs
Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs
Type of Audio connectivity
Ability to Scale resolution of Output signals
Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV
Other (please specify)

My most important features are price, # and types of in/outputs, and ability ot be easily, and intelligently remotely controlled (discrete commands, no toggels, no scrolling though all inputs).

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
I agree with many others that the DVI connection is quickly being replaced by HDMI (a/v speaking) . I would hope to see an improvement soon from a reputable Co. (i.e. one that the masses will look to also) to upgrade HDMI to a locking type of connection. As I see it 4 inputs would meet my needs, 1 left for a yet to discover source (3 now are: DVD, DSS/cable, game console).

S

shperez

Enthusiast
I think the following points need to be considered:

1. - Total package has to be very attractive (price/performance) wise.
2. - Number of inputs and easy of use and/or configuration.
3. - Design and Physical appearance

majorloser

majorloser

• Suggested List Price5
  • Physical Size and Appearance8
  • Number of Inputs / Outputs10
  • Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs9
  • Type of Audio connectivity4
  • Ability to Scale resolution of Output signals4
  • Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV9
  • Other (please specify)
Must be DVI-I capable

All items are rated from 1 to 10

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
My wants pretty much mirror the poll results. Although the number of inputs is more important than anything else. I always like to be prepared. Having extra inputs now can be beneficial in the future. :cool:

D

dsegel

Enthusiast
In order of importance (1 being highest), this is what I would look for:

1. At least 3, preferably 4 or even 5 inputs and 1 output. HDMI only is OK. 1080P capable preferable.
2. IR remote switching
3. Price no higher than $350 list

J

jhstn58

Audiophyte
Another feature I would like is A/V sync. Receivers these days may set an audio delay when the audio is ahead of the video, but video devices do not have a similar function for use when the audio is behind the video.

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
It should come as no surprise that I feel hardware should be designed around a price point. It then becomes easier to figure out what features and compenents are required to meet that price point.

An item like a switcher should be a relatively inexpensive component, unless it is fully featured with:
Input: DVI, HDMI and firewire
Output: DVI, HDMI and digital audio out

Then it's worth $249. The current price is excessive for the product IMO.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Hmm. What can I say that hasnt been said already...Well...

1. A RS232 connection. I would like to be able to control a switcher using a AMX or Crestron controller. Instead of needing to use a IR sensor.
2. Rack mountable.
3. Multiple outputs...maybe...for dual projectors or plasma/lcd displays. (this is pushing it)
3. More input's (already been said a million times).

Reorx

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Hmmm

Yea um.......

More inputs.

Price point.

"Future Proof" 1080p compatability.

D

Devin79

Audioholic Intern
These switchers look great.

These would be excellent products to use for any home theater.
HDMI is what I try to use most of the time to make my audio/video connections.

Ax-man

Ax-man

Audioholic
Price point
Number of outputs
Appearance*
IR Remote would be a must!

*I'd like the switcher to blend in with my other components.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis