Enter to Win: FREE DVIGear DVI+HDCP 2x1 Switcher!

What features are most important to you in a compact DVI or HDMI switcher?

• Suggested List Price

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Physical Size and Appearance

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Number of Inputs / Outputs

Votes: 44 62.9%
  • Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • Type of Audio Connectivity

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Ability to Scale Resolution of Output Signals

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Guaranteed to Handle 1080p HDTV

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • Other (please specify in thread)

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
<SPAN id='nointelliTXT'>DVIGear wants your opinion about DVI and HDMI signal distribution! We’re giving away a DVI + HDCP 2x1 Switcher to two (2) randomly selected winners ($249 MSRP) that respond to the question below. Each switcher will be delivered to the winner at absolutely no charge. The winner will be invited to participate in further DVIGear product design discussions.

To enter, take the poll above and then post your more specific response to the question below:

If you could design a compact DVI or HDMI switcher product, what features would be most important?

Please take into account all factors that you feel are important such as:

• Suggested List Price
  • Physical Size and Appearance
  • Number of Inputs / Outputs
  • Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs
  • Type of Audio connectivity
  • Ability to Scale resolution of Output signals
  • Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV
  • Other (please specify)
Extra BONUS for Audioholics Readers!!!
Don't want to wait for the contest? As they say, “seeing is believing”. Order any of DVIGear's switchers now through September 30, 2005 and you’ll get a special Audioholics 5% discount off your normal cost. Please use order code AH-0905 when you enter your order to ensure your 5% discount is correctly applied.

READ MORE about the new DVIGear Switchers and Splitters </SPAN>

Contest ends September 30, 2005. Winners will be drawn shortly after.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
I am in the market right now for HT upgrades. I am looking at a 42" LCD and a projector. For this prodict I would look at function first then Price. I think all listed a important in some way. Thay are ranked below for importance. 1-6 are very important but mostly, I would want it to be able to handle two destination divices and be 1080p compatable. How it looks is far less important.

* Suggested List Price 6
* Physical Size and Appearance 7
* Number of Inputs / Outputs 5
* Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs 2
* Type of Audio connectivity 4
* Ability to Scale resolution of Output signals 3
* Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV 1

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
Features

I'm really looking for a an all in one solution. I'd like to switch my sources with a very simple setup and switch both HDMI/DVI and the digital audio with it. One hookup to the Receiver and one to the TV/Projector. I've been looking at the Gefen solutions so I know that what I am looking for exists.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
I'm looking for a fairly basic switch, and right now price is the biggest factor. I just added HD service from my DBS provider, and already had a DVD player with DVI output, so a 2 in, 1 out unit with IR remote would be perfect (for now, anyway - who knows down the road. Maybe I should get a 4x1?).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
As great as DVI is, HDMI seems to be a step ahead and much more solidly focussed on the A/V market instead of the computer market. DVI and computers seem to go hand in hand these days. But, HDMI has that whole "Hey look! I've got your audio right here!" thing going on.

HDMI also has the smaller connection heads which make them easier to get through walls for custom installs.

No, nothing wrong with DVI, but there is no question in my mind that HDMI, or something better, is the future of A/V and the reason why DVI is so quickly being replaced.

While price is very important, it has to have a price along with guaranteed performance. If it can't handle 1080p... then I would wonder if it had the headroom to take 1080i or 720p cleanly. I almost think that 2x1 is a joke... Just as receivers with 2 component inputs are almost a joke. Next year we will all be looking for our HD cable/dss box, HD disc player (or upconverting DVD), along with a X-Box 360 or PS3 gaming system. It seems like having two inputs is a guaranteed way to plan for obsolesence.

At a significant price for some as well.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
I agree with all, and this has been said before. I really like the HDMI, however something needs to be implemented for a locking type of connection. HDMI, is certainly the way to go. Specially when installing behind a wall, up to a projector.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Everything on your list has some importance to me, but cost and the number and type of connections is most important. It would also be nice if the thing would automatically switch to whichever source is active, though I have a feeling that would probably come at a cost I would not be willing to pay.

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
I think a good hdmi switch will have 3-4 inputs and 1 output. It would be nice to have a toslink and/or coax digital audio cable out to hook up your receiver to the mix as well.

Also if it could have a sort of signal sensing switching so that the output is tied to the active input and/or an IR remote control would be a great plus.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Switchers

I would be interested in an HDMI switcher that meets the following criteria in order of importance:

1. Function: 2-4 inputs, 1 output. HDMI or DVI. 1080P capable
2. Features: IR remote and / or serial interface.
3. Price competitive: < $300

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
An HDMI switch really needs a goodly number of 'gazinnies, maybe 3 or 4 to go with one 'gazoutie'. An ir remote would be irresistable, especially all at 200 bucks. :) The future......oh, please make my life easier!

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
The ir or even better rf remote sounds like a great idea....

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
The things of most import to me would be:

• Price per input.
  • Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV without degredation.
  • Remote switching somehow. Auto-trigger based on inputs would be fine.

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
so far great comments. I also agree HDMI is the wave now. however you will still

have to offer dvi till it is gone. so the number and types of inputs is important now. also price always matters.

V

v1nce

Audiophyte
Most important to me is number and type of inputs, remote control, and signal quality. HDCP compatibility is a must.

P

Packk01

Audioholic Intern
Switcher

My Plasma has only 1 DVI input and my receiver has none. I have 2 DVI sources, however, Cable box and DVD player so the number of inputs is most important to me.

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
I am currently using a switcher of this type with remote and am very pleased with the performance. I have one issue that I have not seen mentioned yet. The weight of the product is very light and cables light as they are can move it very easily during set up it kept sliding backward as the cables weight hanging behind it were pulling the unit. :eek: I had to zip tie one of the cables to keep it in place. Some sort of rubber feet or adding a little heft to one of these little gems would help keep them in place. I only have a 2 in 1 out and could see the problem worse as more connections are added.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
I would expect a switcher to have a minimum of three inputs. Keeping the price very reasonable would be a big concern. If the price gets too high it makes more sense to just go ahead and upgrade the preamp or receiver instead.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
4 inputs that can handle 1080P and at a reasonable price.

S

soundsfine

Audioholic
Of course price and functionality are important, but it also helps if it looks good too. It should not become the focal point of the rack!

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Types of inputs and outputs would be first.
remote Interface second
cost third.

westcott

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis