Enter to Win: $880 Wiring Kit from Impact Acoustics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
1) Yes.
2) Potential communications between devices (computer-AV gear-console-3telephone)
3) Picking the right cabling/structure to be future-proof with constantly evolving physical layer standards
4) None off hand
5) Myself

M

mattlewis

Audiophyte
1. Have you considered installing a residential structured wiring system?

Yes.
2. What aspect of a residential structured wiring system interests you the most?

Whole house audio
3. What is the greatest barrier you face in purchasing/installing a residential structured wiring system?

Waiting to build my new house.
4. What manufacturer immediately comes to mind when you think of the term residential structured wiring?

none
5. Would you install a residential structured wiring system yourself or would you hire an integrator?

install it myself.

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
Have you considered installing a residential structured wiring system? Yes, I would like to have one.

What aspect of a residential structured wiring system interests you the most? The ability to pump sound into many areas.

What is the greatest barrier you face in purchasing/installing a residential structured wiring system? Aesthetics

What manufacturer immediately comes to mind when you think of the term residential structured wiring? Don't know.

Would you install a residential structured wiring system yourself or would you hire an integrator? Probably need to at least use a consultant.

G

GaryZ06

Junior Audioholic
1. No
2. Ease of install and be pretty much invisible
3. Cost
4. None
5. Install myself

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
1. I have not due primarily to the time and cost involved.
2. The idea that everything is of high quality and very neat.
3. The cost.
4. Monster Cable (although they don't bring images of residential structured wiring).
5. Depends on the size of the room(s) and level of installation.

E-6

Audioholic Intern
A: I own a older home and feel I am the definition of DIY.
2. What aspect of a residential structured wiring system interests you the most?
A: Clean, accessibility.
3. What is the greatest barrier you face in purchasing/installing a residential structured wiring system?
A: Cost, time, lack of experience
4. What manufacturer immediately comes to mind when you think of the term residential structured wiring?
A: IA, Blue Jeans.
5. Would you install a residential structured wiring system yourself or would you hire an integrator?
A: I would attempt to install the wiring system myself. If completely overwhelmed would contract out.

"A wiring system would be nice for my new addition next year.":eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

borgunit

Audiophyte

Yes, most definitely.

Building for present and future use.

Worry of running wiring in existing walls/ceilings.

None

I think I would do it myself.

jcsprankle

jcsprankle

Audioholic
yes

I would say network (data) because that's my career but I am also very interested in high-quality audio and video so that would be a close second.

Planning it out and dealing with existing walls.

Leviton

I would probably attempt it myself. If, after trying, I couldn't do it, I guess I would have to hire a professional.

weejimmee

weejimmee

Audiophyte
Have you considered installing a residential structured wiring system?
yes, and considered RF and X10, even 802.11 combinations as an alternative/complimentary solution.
What aspect of a residential structured wiring system interests you the most?
Automation; home controllers and PC integration [without learning inane/cryptic code]. Like the idea of distributed media - server/client models. Hate redundant technologies - multiple remotes drive me insane!
What is the greatest barrier you face in purchasing/installing a residential structured wiring system?
WAF and a transient lifestyle ... and still finding a lack of true "convergence" of media or flexible/intuitive interfaces. If I have to spend a lot of time reading a manual, or get burnt by "bleeding edge" technologies, projects tend to go on the back-burner. Fickle and costly obsolescence [read: betmax...blue-ray etc] makes me wait to see if a technology "has legs."
What manufacturer immediately comes to mind when you think of the term residential structured wiring?
New to this country/market, but I genuinely (almost exclusively) use the recommendations of audioholic's reviews & featured products. Purchased many components and cabling [albeit electronically] based on their reviews. I'm a bit mercenary when it comes to choosing box shippers. With installers I need to have a more intimate relationship, they come into my home.
Would you install a residential structured wiring system yourself or would you hire an integrator?
I'd try myself, and if the outcome was poor, I'd get an integrator and interrogate them to find out where I screwed up. Client education is part of the fee as far as I'm concerned. :)

Last edited:
A

acurtas

Enthusiast
1. Yes
2. Hiding the wires / clean installation. Close second is flexibility to change things around.
3. Snaking wires in existing construction
4. Belden.
5. DIY -- just like everything else in my theater :)

D

dbarnett37098

Audiophyte
Yes.

Clean neat look of it and the quality

What is the greatest barrier you face in purchasing/installing a residential structured wiring system?

MONEY

What manufacturer immediately comes to mind when you think of the term residential structured wiring?

None

Would you install a residential structured wiring system yourself or would you hire an integrator?

I would hire an intergrator

W

wilkdada

Audiophyte
Yes, am currently considering

2. What aspect of a residential structured wiring system interests you the most? Concealed in wall wires, future expansion and media connectedness.

3. What is the greatest barrier you face in purchasing/installing a residential structured wiring system? Outside walls on a steep pitch roof will be very tough.

4. What manufacturer immediately comes to mind when you think of the term residential structured wiring? No manufacturer specifically, different components from different company’s.

5. Would you install a residential structured wiring system yourself or would you hire an integrator? I would do it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pclink427

Audiophyte
1)Have you considered installing a residential structured wiring system?
Yes, I am in the process of renovating our home and now would be a great time.

2)What aspect of a residential structured wiring system interests you the most?
Integrated installation, blending the system into the structure.

3)What is the greatest barrier you face in purchasing/installing a residential structured wiring system?
Very limited budget and lack of knowledge about and experience with residential structured wiring systems.

4)What manufacturer immediately comes to mind when you think of the term residential structured wiring?
I am not familiar enough with RSW to give an answer.

5)Would you install a residential structured wiring system yourself or would you hire an integrator?
I am the type of person that likes to "Do It Yourself", but I always research prior to making the decision to do it myself. The decision to hire an interegator would depend upon results of my research.

P

paintrodsey

Enthusiast
1. Yes, it is always much cleaner.
2. A clean install
3. Some rooms may be very difficult if not impossible to run wire through.
4. There are none that jump at me.
5. I would do it myself, I have some experience.

K

KevInCinci

Junior Audioholic
1. No, I didn't think they were in my price range.
2. The potential for total integration, thus reducing redundant components.
3. Cost.
4. I'm not familair with any other than Impact Acoustics (thanks to the contest)
5. Definitely hire out.

R

roSco_train

Enthusiast
1. Yes
2. Having a good, central, distribution center
3. $$$$
4. None off hand
5. I would like to try it myself, but would probably end up hiring it out

J

jdbwolverines

Audioholic Intern
Yes, when moving into my new house

Neatness, having everyhting concealed, having everything together

Cost and making sure it is done right (in a previous house I lived, the guy before tried to due it all himself and caused more problems than solved)

None in particular

I would do it myself, unless I suddenly became too busy

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, kind of.. more or less considered what it would be like, never really thought about pulling the trigger...

dont know much about them, but it seems like a very reliable setup, and pretty convenient, the professional look would seem to add value to a home...

Its always seemed like an expensive experiment, planning the entire layout could also be tricky

I'm drawing a blank.

Would probably give it a go myself, its easier to appreciate the setup if you truly understand it and its your own...

mlbillow

mlbillow

Audioholic Intern
Yes.​
All connections in one place, neat and clean.​
Dealing with the installation that was performed by the builder. They never seem to get the cabling the way home buyers want / need it.​
Impact Acoustics!​
Would probably hire an integrator / installer even though I am a big DIY type of person.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis