Enter to Win: $880 Wiring Kit from Impact Acoustics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
Have you considered installing a residential structured wiring system?
YES
What aspect of a residential structured wiring system interests you the most?
Dedicated power
What is the greatest barrier you face in purchasing/installing a residential structured wiring system?
DOn't want top tear apart my house to do it!
What manufacturer immediately comes to mind when you think of the term residential structured wiring?
None really since I never got to aht eplanning stage.
Would you install a residential structured wiring system yourself or would you hire an integrator?
I'd do it myself

S

sjsmithjr

Audioholic Intern
1. Yes.
2. Organization.
3. Retrofitting exisiting structure.
4. No single manufacturer.
5. DIY.

chriscmore

chriscmore

Junior Audioholic
Not yet, as I've not had the luxury of building a custom home. I've refurbished, but it's been only one room at a time, and not rooms that could have used structured wiring. (Wi-Fi was all that was needed).

Flexibility for future needs. I would certainly use them if my walls were opened up or new, as long as the wiring was rated for full future visibility (e.g. HDMI 1.3 bandwidth)

What is the greatest barrier you face in purchasing/installing a residential structured wiring system?
If your walls are closed up, you do everything you can to avoid running structural wiring. I built a false box beam to run all the cabling in, and it offers the additional benefit of being able to change the wiring as needed. I needed to run a mic cable for the Lexicon Live feature, and no problem - just open up the box beam and run the wire. Much better than messing in the walls, and it's worrisome that strucutural wiring would be truly future proof. I still lean towards removable panels and pathways for guaranteed future-proof needs.

What manufacturer immediately comes to mind when you think of the term residential structured wiring?
For HT needs, probably Impact. I'm sure there's pro stuff out there, but I'm strictly DIY and won't buy overpriced product through local installers.

Would you install a residential structured wiring system yourself or would you hire an integrator?
I only trust my own work, and rarely perceive a value in the markups of traditional retail channels. I'd only try an integrator if the job seemed impossible.

Cheers,
Chris

B

brianjof

Audioholic Intern
Wiring Kit

Have you considered installing a residential structured wiring system? - I am moving to a new house and am definitley looking into a wiring system.
What aspect of a residential structured wiring system interests you the most? - Dedicated wiring with specific purpose
What is the greatest barrier you face in purchasing/installing a residential structured wiring system? - Installing in an existing house structure poses several challenges and lack of experience.
What manufacturer immediately comes to mind when you think of the term residential structured wiring? - None
Would you install a residential structured wiring system yourself or would you hire an integrator?- I would do it myself as iw ould like to begin to do this professionally.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Contest Questions:
1. Have you considered installing a residential structured wiring system?
2. What aspect of a residential structured wiring system interests you the most?
3. What is the greatest barrier you face in purchasing/installing a residential structured wiring system?
4. What manufacturer immediately comes to mind when you think of the term residential structured wiring?
5. Would you install a residential structured wiring system yourself or would you hire an integrator?
1. Yes I have.
2. Keeping things clean and organized. As well as future expandibility.
3. Amps, Impedence. keeping wires hidden, and using faceplates. Right kind and length of cables. Installing in a existing home. Phishing sucks.
4. Cisco, cat5e / cat6 (I'm a network engineer), then Impact Acoustics.
5. I'd do it myself. I have friends who are integrators, and I can always ask them, or come here if I have questions.

Reorx

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
1) No
2) appearance
3) cost
4) belden cdt
5) hire

F

Fierce Mice

Audioholic Intern
1. No
2. Adding flexibility and organization at the same time seems like a great thing.
3. Cost / complexity of install.
4. Impact Acoustics, solely because of this contest.
5. I would install it myself.

majorloser

majorloser

1) Have you considered installing a residential structured wiring system?
Been there, done that......will do it again (and better) on next house.

2) What aspect of a residential structured wiring system interests you the most?
Doing it better than the contractor. Bigger and badder.

3) What is the greatest barrier you face in purchasing/installing a residential structured wiring system?
Having enough money to do it right the first time.

4) What manufacturer immediately comes to mind when you think of the term residential structured wiring?
When I think electrical components, I think Square D, GE or Allen Bradley.

5) Would you install a residential structured wiring system yourself or would you hire an integrator?
Doesn't scare me. Do it myself or have friends help (it's good to have pros working for you).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Tom Andry said:
Yes, in fact I have done it several times... fun stuff.

Tom Andry said:
Planning out the setup and seeing it all come together in a way that makes everyone happy.

Tom Andry said:
If it is not new construction, wiring is an incredible headache. But, during new construction, cost and accessability are often difficult as builders rarely will allow the purchaser in to run their own wiring.

Tom Andry said:
On-Q and Xantech... Xantech less for wiring and more for the IR repeater stuff. On-Q for their structured wiring boxes.

Tom Andry said:
That is definitely a DIY thing for me.

F

fw3308

Audiophyte
1. No
2. Hidden but easily serviceable
3. Current home layout/structure
4. None
5. Hire out

B

babcia

Audiophyte
Residential Structural Wiring Kit contest Win

1. No
2. everying out of sight
3. no knowledge & cost
4. I dond't know any
5. hire integrator

loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
1) I help the husband wire our present home while it was being built.
2) When it's done!
3) I guess knowing what to buy and how much is needed.
4) Haven't a clue. I'd surf the internet.
5) We did it once. We can do it again. Learn from past mistakes.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja

1. Yes...it would be wonderful.
2. Flexibility.
3. Financing it! :(
4. None (yet).
5. I'd probably do it myself with the invaluable help of knowledgeable friends.

D

dkordonowy

Audioholic Intern
Tom Andry said:
Contest Questions:
  1. Have you considered installing a residential structured wiring system?
  2. What aspect of a residential structured wiring system interests you the most?
  3. What is the greatest barrier you face in purchasing/installing a residential structured wiring system?
  4. What manufacturer immediately comes to mind when you think of the term residential structured wiring?
  5. Would you install a residential structured wiring system yourself or would you hire an integrator?
  1. Yes
  2. I like the idea of having hiding all the wires of a home theater installation
  3. Well, I don't own, so there's the whole ripping up my landlord's house...
  4. Impact Acoustics of course!
  5. I would do the work myself if time permitted (but that's becoming less and less possible.

W

waystevens

Audiophyte
1. No
2. Sleek look and good organization
3. Time and money
4. Nobody come to mind immediately
5. Probably hire

amagiri

amagiri

Enthusiast
Wiring Kit Contest

1. No
2. terminal connections
3. How to fish
4. Impact Acoustics
5. Hire

R

radaray58

Audioholic Intern
wiring contest

1. Not until now.
2. Neat integrated system.
3. Knowledge.
4. Liteon.
5. Hire.

C

Christopher__BA

Junior Audioholic
wiring questions

Have you considered installing a residential structured wiring system? NO
What aspect of a residential structured wiring system interests you the most?Convenience
What is the greatest barrier you face in purchasing/installing a residential structured wiring system? costs
What manufacturer immediately comes to mind when you think of the term residential structured wiring? none
Would you install a residential structured wiring system yourself or would you hire an integrator? hire

Thanks!!

R

rdfishe

Audiophyte
wiriring system

1. yes
2. Installing it properly and out of plain view.
3. Budget of course.
4. No one inparticular, perhaps Tweeter.
5. I would hire someone, but I definately watch and learn all could.

Ronald D. Fisher

B

BobBart

Audioholic
Yes.
Ease of installation and everything included.
Cost.
I have no idea.
Do it myself, I'm all about cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis