Enter to Win: 50% off DVIGear Order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
1. I don't current own one or need one. I'm sure that will change in the future.

2. a - I would like this feature - makes it easier to operate.
b - This would be even beter than a
c - This is even better than a or b
d - This would be great if I had a home automation network installed
e - Ethernet - its only a matter of time this becomes the dominate communication protocol for home automation.

V

Vanhoecke

Junior Audioholic
1) Do you own or have need for an HDMI switcher? YES

2) If you were on the market for an HDMI switcher, assuming it had the correct number of inputs and was in your price range, how would each of the following features sway your purchase?

Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit) -- I would prefer a unit that could be controlled remotely, but if there was a significant price difference I might consider a manual unit.

IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote) --This would work for my family room setup but not for my home theater. I would end up needing to add this unit to may IR extender. So as long as it was compatable there wouldn't ba any problems.

IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view). This wouild work well for my HT application, but may not be worth the incremental cost if the IR extender only controls the switch. It is more efficent to add the switch to a seperate IR extender so that other remotely located A/V gear can also be controled.

RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system). I'm currently not using RS-232 so this is not a big deal to me. It may be for those folks using a RS-232 remote, like Creston.

Other (please provide other options that would be of interest to you). I actually have a greater need for a HDMI compliant splitter that can be remotely controlled. My A/V closet houses gear for displays in two seperate rooms. It woud be nice to be able to split the HDMI/DVI signal to each display thereby eliminating the need to buy redundant HDMI gear to source the 1080p content.

2Channel4Ever

Audiophyte
1) Do you own or have need for an HDMI switcher?

I own a 3 to 1 HDMI switcher

2) If you were on the market for an HDMI switcher, assuming it had the correct number of inputs and was in your price range, how would each of the following features sway your purchase?

• Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit)
    Getting up and manually switching when I go from DVD to DVR would be annoying. I'd pass on this unit
  • IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote)
    This is what I have now and it works fine. Having this feature is essential to my purchase
  • IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)
    I have an IR repeater that faces all of my gear, so I don't need this. However, if it didn't add to the price, I'd use it.
  • RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system)
    I don't have home automation, so wouldn't pay extra for this feature
  • Other (please provide other options that would be of interest to you)

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic

Don't own one but will be needing one shortly

1. Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit)
nice to have
2. IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote)
essential!
3. IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)
very nice to have
4. RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system)
don't need
5. Other (please provide other options that would be of interest to you)
2in 2 out

V

Vart

Audioholic
1)I don't own or have a need for an HDMI switcher.

2) Of the features listed the IR remote/receiver would be most important to me.

R

rushwj

Audioholic
DVIGear wants your opinion!

DVIGear is giving away a coupon worth 50% off your order (maximum of $250 off) to three (3) randomly selected eligible winners. The coupon must be used within 60 days of the drawing date.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Respond to the questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:

• Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit)
  • IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote)
  • IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)
Note this contest ends on April 30th 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!
I would say integration and IR remote receiver would be the two most important points (and as such, i'm am considering a purchase and would be interested in any such product).

Last edited by a moderator:
S

se-riously2

Audioholic Intern
1) Don't own one, but have a need (TV only has one HDMI input).
2a) Front Panel Control Only - wouldn't buy it
2b) IR Remote Control - must have it
2c) IR Remote Receiver - not necessary, assuming the switcher is a reasonable size
2d) RS 232 - not necessary for me.
2e) None I can think of.

H

heystew

Audiophyte
Contest Questions:
1) Do you own or have need for an HDMI switcher? YES

1. Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit)
NOT AN OPTION
2. IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote)
NOT AN OPTION
3. IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)
AT LEAST WANT TO BE ABLE TO HIDE AND USE IR

DEFINITELY WANT RS-232
HDMI 1.3

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
HDMI Switching

Contest Questions:

1) Do you own or have need for an HDMI switcher? Response: I don't own a standalone HDMI switcher because one of my A/V receivers has a HDMI switching capability. However, if I can't upgrade my other, non-HDMI receiver, then I would eventually need a standalone HDMI switcher.

Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit). Response: A switcher that manually forces a user to physically touch the switcher to operate it would be very inconvenient, that is, not user-friendly.

IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote). Response: This kind of convenience would be good.

IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view). Response: This kind of convenience would be even better.

RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system). Response: This would be a bonus for those A/V recievers (like mine) that have RS-232 control.

Other (please provide other options that would be of interest to you). Response: I can't think of any at this time.

A

acacia987

Junior Audioholic
1. no

a. not very
b. somewhat
c. extremely
d. not unless i had the equipment that could work with it(which i don't).

M

mulkeyusa

Audiophyte
I do not own and I have no need at this time.

a) Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit)
Good
b) IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote)
Better
c) IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)
Best
d) RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system)
Unsure of this application
e) Other (please provide other options that would be of interest to you)
None

V

vigga

Audiophyte
HDMI switcher-

1. No, taken care of by HDMI 1.1 receiver and Video Processor

a) fairly important - even though I have a universal remote I like to take care of things sometimes when I'm loading discs
b) somewhat important...having the codes available are more important
c) very important for integration into consumer level RF-IR systems - again, IR codes readily available
d) not as important for me
e) nothing I can think of...

J

john16055

Audiophyte
1) No
2) a) Front Panel Control only - Would prefer ability to use remote
b) IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote) Important Feature.
c) IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)
This is the best solution and I would probably purchase a unit with IR Remote Receiver.
d) RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system)
Not important for me.
3) HDMI 1.3 would be very nice.

B

brucewoodington

Audioholic Intern

Looks like I will need one in the next two months.

Would not consider buying it

Must have.

Would probably opt for this.

Beyond the scope of my knowledge.

Auto sensing.

H

hjdiet

Audiophyte

DVIGear is giving away a coupon worth 50% off your order (maximum of $250 off) to three (3) randomly selected eligible winners. The coupon must be used within 60 days of the drawing date.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Respond to the questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:

Note this contest ends on April 30th 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!
1). Sure. Everyone will have a need for this in the future (provided something else doesn't come along)

2). d) I would prefer one that could be hidden out of sight.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Contest Questions:

Don't own and don't really need one.

Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit)

Wouldn't care...would want a remote and be compatible with my Harmony.

IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote)

This would be a must have.

IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)

Nice to have.

RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system)

Wouldn't matter.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
1) Do you own or have need for an HDMI switcher? I will soon but I don't yet...

1. Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit) - I wouldnt want to have to get up
2. IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote) - Would be nice
3. IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view) - Even nicer
4. RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system) - Meh, dont need it
5. Other (please provide other options that would be of interest to you) - The cheaper the better ;)

B

BobBart

Audioholic
1.No
2.Need remote and receiver. Need a lower price. No need for232.

D

Driving_Hamster

Audiophyte

Contest Questions:

1.) I do not currently own an HDMI switchter. I am not really in the market for one either since my receiver (to be) will accept the HDMI connections into it then one cable up to the PJ

2.) If I was in ther market for one I would think that the remote receiver (or remote control) would be attractive options in addition to the standard front panel control

Senior Audioholic
No

1. Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit) Least desirable
2. IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote)must have
3. IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)desirable
4. RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system)Nice but not needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis