Enter to Win: 50% off DVIGear Order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
DVIGear wants your opinion!

DVIGear is giving away a coupon worth 50% off your order (maximum of $250 off) to three (3) randomly selected eligible winners. The coupon must be used within 60 days of the drawing date.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Respond to the questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:
1) Do you own or have need for an HDMI switcher?

2) If you were on the market for an HDMI switcher, assuming it had the correct number of inputs and was in your price range, how would each of the following features sway your purchase?

• Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit)
  • IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote)
  • IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)
  • RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system)
  • Other (please provide other options that would be of interest to you)
Note this contest ends on April 30th 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Ryan8886

Audioholic

Don't own one and don't really have a need for one at this time. My receiver is not HDMI capable and my TV runs DVI. I do run DVI from my DVD to the TV.

2) If you were on the market for an HDMI switcher, assuming it had the correct number of inputs and was in your price range, how would each of the following features sway your purchase?

Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit)

Doesn't sound very useful.

IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote)

Would likely be my choice.

IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)
RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system)

A bit above my head and price range.

Other (please provide other options that would be of interest to you)

none

Hanse18

Hanse18

Audioholic
My receiver has 3-way HDMI switch, but I may need an HDMI switcher in the future: HTPC, Cable Box, XBox360, PS3, and a DVD player. Fortunately only the HTPC and DVD use HDMI right now, but things may change soon.

1. Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit)
I would definitely not be a fan of that, as a universal remote is supposed to eliminate the 12 feet of walking it would take to switch inputs, so this would be a step back

2. IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote)
Nice, but not necessary if the unit can at least accept ir commands from universal remotes

3. IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)
Now this is something I would be interested in, as my setup is aimed at being low profile and out of sight

4. RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system)

I know rs232 is handy, but I have never used nor do I know how to, so It really doesn't make a difference to me in my current ht setup

5. Other (please provide other options that would be of interest to you)
RF remote control, video processing, audio options.

N

nhpm510

Audioholic
Contest Questions:
1) Do you own or have need for an HDMI switcher? Yes

Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit) Okay for cheapo 2 or 3 input

IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote) Preferred, keep price don vs RF

IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view) Nice , but price sesntive, might as well get a new pre-pro

RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system) Don't use

Other (please provide other options that would be of interest to you) Works with Harnony remote and can purchase w/o a standard remote

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Yep, currently own

Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit)
Nope - need IR as all my equipement is in a dedicated closet behind a solid core door

Would be fine as I have a IR repeater

IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)
Nope - IR repeater does this

Nope

Maybe an auto sense mode - then you wouldn't need the IR at all :D

Anagoge

Anagoge

Junior Audioholic
1) I do not own or immediately need an HDMI switcher. I might later this year, if I buy an HD DVD player to go along with a Blu-Ray player.

2) Front Panel Control only: I'd never buy a switcher I needed to walk up to to control.
IR Remote Control: This would be fine and required at a minimum for me. I use a universal remote that already does RF to IR conversion, so even if I didn't have line of sight, I'd be fone, but my proposed location would have line of sight anyway.
IR Remote Receiver: Not necessary, but it would sweeten the deal, if I could hide the switcher away deeper in the cabinet, out of sight.
RS-232 Control: I wouldn't use it. I have a mid-range system (not high end)
Other: I'd require HDMI 1.3, 1080p, and HDCP, for any new HDMI hardware purchases I make in the coming year

O

ouchakov

Enthusiast
HDMI Switcher. Maybe to run to 2nd TV?

No, I don't. I may need one later on.

That'd not be very convenient, I would look for something either with a remote or automatic

Yes, this will be helpful.

People who care would buy an IR repeater, I think. I don't need one.

If there is a way to automatically switch inputs using RS-232, that'd be great. Otherwise, I can power it on/off just fine.

Besides an auto sense mode, I would like to see 2 HDMI 1.3 outputs because I have an old TV (which I use to watch regular TV) but I also would like to watch movies using a projector, I don't think many receivers have 2 HDMI outputs.

R

raf1005

Enthusiast
Two HDMI ports on my Sammy is plenty. HDMI on receiver is overkill, so needing a switcher is just ridiculous. Why have audio and video on one cable when you have to split it up at the receiver anyway? I would take DVI and optical any day over hdmi.
If I won a switcher it would want it to have RS-232 just because its so old school.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Contest Questions:

• Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit)
  • IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote)
  • IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)
1) Don't own, but will be needing one by the end of this year.

2) IR remote control and/or remote receiver are a must for my setup.

Other considerations: Obviously 1080p and HDCP are essential. One component input that converts to HDMI would be handy as well, but not critical.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
DVIGear contest

I don't currently have an HDMI switcher. I have my only HDMI source, an Oppo DVD player, connected directly to my HDTV

I would look for an IR remote/receiver on the switch. I wouldn't use the included remote, but would program my URC-300 RF remote to control the switch with an IR blaster from the RF basestation.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Contest Questions:
1) Do you own or have need for an HDMI switcher? Not Yet.

a. Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit)
Would not buy.

b. IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote)
Would be fine.

c. IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)
Would be nice but not nessesary.

d. RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system)
Not needed.

e. Other (please provide other options that would be of interest to you)
If it could get my beer it would be a done deal!:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
Not at the moment. I only have one DVI source.

2) ...
    I wouldn't purchase it.
    Necessary for me to consider the product.
    Don't care, but would not choose this if the price increased significantly.
    Don't need this. Wouldn't want to pay for it.
    Must be able to handle 1080p and pass HDCP correctly.

J

jja

Audiophyte
Contest Questions:
1) Do you own or have need for an HDMI switcher? I have a Pioneer Elite 74, and it only has 2 HDMI inputs. I love the receiver and have little desire to upgrade, but I'm sure I will eventually need an HDMI switcher. Right now though I'm OK, not needed right now.

a. Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit)
Nope.

b. IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote)
Nope.

c. IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)
Yes, this would be a requirement for me.

d. RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system)
Not needed.

e. Other (please provide other options that would be of interest to you)
Preferably a small unit as to not take up too much space in my crowded rack.

C

chrisw1

Enthusiast

I do not own one currently, but will need one in about 6 months.

I would not purchase if it only had manual switching capablity.

Must have.

Not necessary, but probably wouldn't adversely affect my purchase.

Wouldn't be necessary for me and probably wouldn't buy do to the added cost.

Standard colors (black and silver) so the unit would blend in with the rest of my equipment.

apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
Yes , it is a monoprice 5 to 1 switcher

1. Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit)very important,cmon whats the point of the thing other than to make things easier
2. IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote)yes
3. IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view)yes
4. RS-232 Control (allows integration into a home automation system)doesnt matter
5. Other (please provide other options that would be of interest to you)
defenitely certified by hdmi, passes hdmi 1.3 spec

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Contest Questions:

YES, I need one.

A no go. Need remote capability.

Adequate but not ideal.

Adequate, but not ideal.

Not necessary.

Prefer RF capabilities since line of sight is not possible for everyone. RF is the best solution for everyone since it works for all applications.

D

dennisdxl32

Enthusiast
Contest Questions:

I don't own an HDMI switcher, strictly speaking. However, my video processor does do switching of HDMI signals.

a. Would make me NOT want to buy the unit.
b. Would make me UNLIKELY to buy the unit. An RF-capable remote with its corresponding RF extender / IR blaster could be used, though the solution is kinda cumbersome.
c. Would make me LIKELY to buy the unit.
d. Doesn't matter to me (unless it increases the cost), since I don't have or plan to have an RS-232 control system.
e. Make the switcher compatible with a more common RF protocol, such as Z-wave or X10

B

blowfish

Audiophyte

1. I don't need a standalone HDMI switcher, as my receiver does 2 way switching.

2. IR Remote Control or IR Remote Receiver would be the best options for me.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I don't own one but am seriously considering makng the upgrade plunge.

Front panel control is nice... it should be standard. Lack of it may make me consider alternatives, but not by much.

Line of site, doesn't matter that much - discrete controls matter a whole heck of a lot more.

If it isn't a pain, it would be nice to allow for a IR connection on the rear of the unit so that in a custom installation, IR emitters can be placed on the back instead of the front, but I would not expect an IR repeater system built in.

Serial control is always a plus - as long as the protocols are straightforward like the Extron Simple Instruction Set (SIS). There is nothing worse than companies that include serial control, then don't publish the serial control, the pinouts (standard nine pin!) the baud rate, etc. Very frustrating.

How about a matrix switcher? I mean, seriously, Geffen has stuff, and the Monoprice model has received very high reviews. I would say you have some benchmarks to meet and exceed, but if you can't match the quality of Gefen or if you deliver a 3x1 HDMI switcher for more than the Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switcher, then it's not exactly the best deal around - unless it offers more. A matrix switcher is a big 'more' factor. As it making it industry stanard 1 rack unit tall and perhaps including rack ears in the box.

K

kono144

Junior Audioholic
1) Do you own or have need for an HDMI switcher? yes, own one

Front Panel Control only (can control the switcher only from the front of the unit) RATE 4
IR Remote Control (need line-of-sight to control the switcher with a IR remote) RATE 3
IR Remote Receiver (similar to above but allows the switcher to be hidden out of view) RATE 2
RATE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis