Enter to Win: $200 off Impact Acoustics Order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fatroz

fatroz

Audioholic Intern
I don't but...

I am helping a friend of mine build one. We are looking for an inexpensive touch screen monitor for his system. He wants a setup, besides the HT thing, that is like those jukeboxes that have touchscreen that you see in bars. So we are working on putting that together for him. Should be interesting. Now give me some damn cables (ala Adam Sander).

J

jdbwolverines

Audioholic Intern
I currently do not have a HTPC in the sense that I have one integrated into my home theater setup. Being originally a huge computer junkie and later adding home theater to my hobbies, the computer I have now can due most things an HTPC can due. I built it myself and on it I can watch and record TV (even HD), play/burn DVD's, edit movies and more. It has all high end componets (HDD, processor, video and sound cards) so it can handle all HTPC duties well. THe main reason it has not moved into my HT is because of it size and noise output that I don't want in a HT due to the fact that it was built for power and not HT applications.

K

kono144

Junior Audioholic
Do you have a HTPC? no
If not are you looking to get one soon? no. I do not see the value of getting this system.
Did you buy it or did you built it? If you bought one what is the brand? n/a
What do you use it for and what HTPC software do you have? Post pictures if you have them. n/a

T

troy_xp

Audiophyte
1) I do not currently have a HTPC.
2) Yes, I'm almost done with my basic HT room set-up. My next project will be to find a HTPC. When I do buy one, I'd like to buy it vs. building it (not enough time in the day to mess around w/ building it.

R

RichND

Audiophyte
I built a Windows XP Media Center machine a couple of years ago that I was going to use primarily for its dvr abilities. Shortly thereafter, the Cox cable called me to tell me they were now offering an HD dvr, so I went with that. Personally, I prefer the separate component approach for everything because I like buying the best of what I can afford for my AV equipment. I don't have immediate plans to take advantage of movie, picture or music sharing, so an HTPC doesn't look like something in my near future.

Darth Mike

Darth Mike

Audioholic
I do not have an HTPC, but I plan on building one up once I replace some of my gear. I will probably build it so as to use for other regular tasks I use a PC for, gaming/Internet/Graphics design/word processing, as well as all the usual HTPC tasks like music/movies and such. I want to integrate it into my stack of components so that it matches well and doesn't look like a PC but more like an audio component, case customization will probably be involved as I doubt any commercial cases will do the trick. So as to keep a low noise level, I may integrate a liquid cooling system as well. So you may say "so what?" since these are all thing alot of folks want to use a PC/HTPC for... I want to build it with all exceptional value components as not to spend over $1500.

F

faroff

Audiophyte
I do not have a HTPC...I would love to have one just cant swing the $$ at the moment

F

Fierce Mice

Audioholic Intern
Tom Andry said:
Do you have a HTPC? If not are you looking to get one soon? Did you buy it or did you built it? If you bought one what is the brand? What do you use it for and what HTPC software do you have? Post pictures if you have them.
I don't currently have a HTPC, but I expect to buy one within the next 12-24 months. I'm not zeroed in on a brand, as I'll be looking for a combination of reliability, features, and price. I plan to use it for HD content and to store my audio library. No pictures (except in my mind).

G

GACrabill

Junior Audioholic
Q. Do you have a HTPC? If not are you looking to get one soon?

A. No. No.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
i do not.. but i did build a gaming computer for my friend recently. cost me about 2500 bucks.

ill get one eventually but not anytime soon because money is tight

C

cleansparks

Enthusiast
Yes, I have a HTPC.

It is a computer I built and it runs the KnoppMyth distrubution of mythtv. The tuner card I use is the HD3000 from pchdtv. I mostly use it as a pvr, but it can also play dvds, downloaded multimedia files, and my music collection (flac format).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I don't have a HTPC. I do have a Crestron control system and a iMerge digital music server, so I am not pushing for a HTPC anytime soon.

But, I do want one at some point and I see the HTPC becoming the true core of the home theater system. This absolutely MUST go hand in hand with CableCard, DishCard, and DirecTVCard. That is, I still watch 90% television and the rest movies and you better believe that if I am going to invest in a HTPC I want more than music, video downloads, and DVDs. I've already GOT all that! It is integrating it with my normal cable viewing and HDTV with time shifting capabilities that is what I consider most vital. Being able to record my HBO-HD, and ESPN-HD as well as the other digital cables... forget that analog garbage.

Yes, I saw... what was it - Niveus? at CEDIA... That's a lot closer to what I'm talking about, but of course, theirs crashed twice during our viewing of it... So it's GOT to be reliable!

V

Vart

Audioholic
I don't have a HTPC and probably won't have one anytime soon. If I do decide to get one I will build my own.

mlbillow

mlbillow

Audioholic Intern
Currently, I do not have a HTPC. I am interested in it but currently have multiple Tivo devices that are fairly new. Once they get a couple of years on them, I will consider replacing one of them with a HTPC.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Contest Question: Do you have a HTPC? If not are you looking to get one soon? Did you buy it or did you built it? If you bought one what is the brand? What do you use it for and what HTPC software do you have? Post pictures if you have them.
I have a PC built, but I need a tuner card. I also need to install Linux and MythTV.

M

mdy

Enthusiast
I do not currently have a HTPC. I have evaluated a few of the HTPC front end programs and found them either lacking in features or difficult to configure. I do not wish to be constantly tweaking my HTPC. When a HTPC comes out that is affordable and easy to use, I will purchase one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis