Enter to Win: $200 off Impact Acoustics Order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PC2

PC2

Audiophyte
I do not have a HTPC. I would buy one if the deal was right.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Well, Well if I were to purchase a HTPC I would have to get familiar with some of the features I would require and then decide whether or not to build it myself. I am not too familiar with the varios manufacturers of these or the differences each offer. I would of course look for something I could also use a main computer system ans I don't want many.

B

blowfish

Audiophyte
I do not hava a HTPC and currently have no plans to purchase one.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I do not have mine yet, and frankly I won't buy one - I'll build one!! Still researching potential set-ups

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
Htpc

Contest Question: Do you have a HTPC? If not are you looking to get one soon? Did you buy it or did you built it? If you bought one what is the brand? What do you use it for and what HTPC software do you have? Post pictures if you have them.

I do not have a HTPC and am not looking to get one soon. Why? I explained my reluntance in another forum contest in a HTPC poll, where I posted the following three reasons of HTPC price, stability, and user-friendliness:

"Price: At least for me, a HT component has to be reasonably affordable, period. This is a bottom-line criterion.

Stability: I have regular IT issues as it is at work, a problem I would not want to contend with at home as part of my HT. Any HT component should be reliable performance-wise.

User-friendliness: It has taken me several years -- and more than a few headaches -- to overcome the ins-and-outs of HT use. Don't get me wrong: I would love to own a HTPC, but the thought of having to master the ins-and-outs of a HTPC seems daunting, if only because I have never used one."

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I use a "HTPC" for audio only. I use a 1999 iBook running the latest versions of Mac OS X and iTunes, with an Airport Express and Keyspan Remote to serve digital audio to my receiver.

G

Guavamanh

Junior Audioholic
dont have one, probably will not be getting one soon.

P

PAW

Audioholic Intern
Contest Question: Do you have a HTPC? If not are you looking to get one soon? Did you buy it or did you built it? If you bought one what is the brand? What do you use it for and what HTPC software do you have? Post pictures if you have them.

No HTPC. Not in the near future.

V

VicAjax

Audioholic Intern
don't have one or have plans to get one. a music server is a much greater priority for me.

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
I do not have a HTPC. I do hope to get one within the next six months. I plan on building it on my own. The rest of the questions do not apply to me but I'll be interested in hearing from others.

S

steinoch

Junior Audioholic
contest

Do you have a HTPC? If not are you looking to get one soon? Did you buy it or did you built it? If you bought one what is the brand? What do you use it for and what HTPC software do you have? Post pictures if you have them.

1) YES
2) built it
3) na
4) gaming, video(DVD play-back), surfing the net
5) Zoom player with codecs including ffdshow and sonic cineplayer=incredible quality from standard DVD

C

cleansparks

Enthusiast

Yes and I built it. I mainly use it as a pvr. It runs off of Knoppmyth and has a pchdtv hd3000 tuner card.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Htpc

Yes, I have a Dell PC that I can use as an audio and video source for my HT system. I added a sound card with optical digital out for streaming lossless FLAC files and Dolby Digital to the receiver. I use Windows XP and Power DVD software.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
I have attempted to build an HTPC already. I am a computer guy, and it just seemed like there were too many problems. It has been about a year since my last try, but the Sony DVR I bought seems to have very few problems in relation to all the problems I had with the HTPC. I tried using Windows media center with an ATI HDTV Wonder tuner card. I had to use hacked drivers to get both the NTSC and ATSC tuners working. After that, I could never get the guide to match all my channels. It seemed that there were always a couple of channels that had no guide info, or were just wrong. Also, the stupid thing was too loud, even though I put ultra low rpm fans, quiet HDs, etc, into it. I couldn't find an acceptable keyboard that actually worked across my living room. There were a lot of options, but they all either felt good to use, and dropped the connection, or were total crap for the feel and worked fine. I deal with computer problems and bugs everyday in my job, and I just didn't feel like having my "relaxing" home theater setup be extra work. I just want to sit down and have it work without thinking about it. Oh, and I can't use a cablecard or sat dish and record HD in a PC yet, either. I mean, my local channels are just fine and all, but there is other good content on pay movie channels that just looks great! Heck, if I can't DVR a show, then I probably can't watch it. Who has time to actually sit down when your movie or favorite tv show is on...

G

greenhill

Audioholic Intern
Don't have one and don't plan on getting one.
greenhill.

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
No, I do not currently have one and I am not planning on obtaining one in the near future.

Bryguy

B

brucewoodington

Audioholic Intern
Do you have a HTPC? Not yet
If not are you looking to get one soon? Yes

Did you buy it or did you built it? Will build it.

If you bought one what is the brand?

What do you use it for and what HTPC software do you have?
Music and video whole house distribution.

Post pictures if you have them.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic

No HTPC for me... I built a PC that I was intending on using for a HTPC (250GB HDD, AMD Venice 3000+ cpu, 2GB ram, Antec solution case, Win Xp, etc). However, after researching the need for a IR blaster (to work with my el-chepo DIRECTV boxes...) I just decided against it (WAF factor... wires everywhere).

I intended on using Myst software (sp). still haven't bought the vid capture card... but it was going to be a hauppaugn 250

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis