Enter to Win: 20% off SVS order

When deciding to purchase new audio equipment, what is most important to you:

• Ability to have someone install and calibrate the product in your home theater

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
P

pmctexas

Audiophyte
Price Performance

I look at what provides best performance per cost, second comes reputation for customer service then looks...

J

Jeje2

Junior Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
To be eligible to win, you must:
1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member,
check :)

2) Have USA or Canadian Residence
Nope :mad: - would my brother in Canada do? ;) :D

3) Respond to the poll above and explain your response below in this contest thread:
Other:
Bought SVS-PB10ISD a year ago based only on good user feedback on a local (=Finland) bulletin board. Haven't regretted my purchace, though the huge size IRL was a huge :eek:, price was almost doubble as originally palnned for a sub and as the unit is missing cross-over-frequency selector had to uppgrade my old (3½years) AVR to Yamaha RX-V2600 (So became rather expensive in the end)

SVS: Don't worry about the contest - I'm very happy (now that have selectable cross over freuency on AVR) and as was almost buing a pig-in-a-bag the endresult has well surpassed my expectations and hopes.
Oh and my unit can be seen here in measurements last autumn - thx Ilkka R :D

W

w8liftr

Audiophyte
I voted other. I feel that it is a combination of price and ability to audition and upgrade if so desired. It looks like both are covered with internet direct sales companies, SVS & others, etc..

S

smithsonga

Audiophyte
I always look for the best value for my money. I choose sticker price, but that doesnt mean the lowest price. I understand my needs/wants and budget and find my best deal/value. I do however shop hard once I know exactly what I want to find the best deal on that component. I tend to only use my local dealer if their price is at least close.

Jim

B

bsheldon

Enthusiast
I choose my audio equipment by its performance first and foremost. I then find a few options at a given price point that I can afford and determine which one fits my needs the best.

S

SKINNER

Junior Audioholic
To be completely honest, I chose being able to hear it locally because I just have a hard time buying a speaker that I've never even heard...For instance, I was very very close to buying either an SVS or a Mirage sub around Christmas, I went to a family friends house who, unbeknowest to me, was a Mirage dealer. I was able to hear a variety of Mirage offerings. Ultimately, I bought Mirage.

K

kgb540

Audioholic
Being able to listen to the product in question prior to purchasing is essential. Sticker price, service, installation are all secondary to the fact that you may or may not be happy with the performance of the item you purchased. Honestly, who cares if you saved $100 off of sticker (you'll forget about this), or Joe Shmoe installed it for you (you'll forget about this), or they will back it if it breaks down for the next 10 years (hopefully you'll never need this), but dissatisfaction from a system you arent happy with calls attention to itself everytime you turn it on.

S

SKINNER

Junior Audioholic
W.A.F. said:
As the wife of a complete audiophile, he has educated me enough to know that sound is important when selecting any piece of audio equipment. Sticker price is very important too, but if he wants it bad enough, he'll get it.
Are we seriously supposed to believe this is your wife posting?? ;) :rolleyes:

Oddly enought, she only posts on the giveaway threads?:D

E

emd1

Audiophyte
"Other"

I think it's the total package... ...cost, reputation, sound, experience (your's and other's), that drives "value."

C

candyman

Audiophyte
"Bang for the buck" aka value. Often times the starting point for the performance part of the equation is initially derived from professional reviews and owner feedback (ie. the forums). Sticker price or price I believe I can acquire the product is also an initial filter on audio purchases.

Once I acquire the item, having the ability to return the item (30 day warranty) in original condition for a full refund is also very important. I recently used this as I upgraded from my original purchase of a 7x125w amplifier to a 5x200w amplifier. At one point, I had both in my house side-by-side as I evaluated their peformance and determined the more powerful amplifier made a significant audible difference. In this case, the company came out ahead since I spent $500 more for the more powerful amp and sent the 7x125w back, which will be used for their B-stock.

Candyman

S

Spat

Audiophyte
With the subjectivity of audio, I couldn't justify spending any significant amount of money with first sampling the product. It doesn't matter how much the product costs, if it doesn't sound good to me. Using online reviews and references from audio-holics is a solid starting place, but then its up to me to sample the short list. At this point I determine what can be comprimised in the products I'm comparing, to strike a balance between decent price and support with what sounds best to me.

S

sonoma13

Audiophyte
even though I try to tell myself Im wealthy,Im really not even close.That is why sticker price I'd say is the most important,also customer reviews on boards like this.Its really hard buying a product without hearing it or seeing it first.One of the main things I look for if I cant audition it is if the company has a generous return "demo" policy.

A

angelo

Audiophyte
I chose other.
Yes pirce is a factor- bottom line you get what you pay for. Most of the time

coupons- yhea there great but for me they dont persuade me If I'm intrested I'll buy the product anyway

hearing the product- is important but most high end products out there cannot be heared before purchase or there too far away to travel to.

instalment- depends on the product most people are diy I am thats what makes everything so fun- but I would not install the roof of my own house

local suport- who knows the product beter than the manufacture yhea It's conveinent. If It's not the customers fault the manufacture should pay for shipping and handleing

And finally my "other" It is forms like this that really help me not only make up my mind but inform me about new products and companies that I never heard of. These are real people that share commen intreast and help each other with Q/A's and reveiws
thats why I chose other on the poll

spyboy

spyboy

Junior Audioholic
Bang for the buck. Top notch performance combined with rock bottom pricing is what makes for a winning combination.

M

mrrame

Enthusiast
My Views

There is point drooling over a system that you cannot afford. Then comes everything else. I want my AV system sleek, always black in color, compact, and reproduce sound as accurate as possible (of course proportional to the money you pay).

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Sticker Price

Tom Andry said:
SV Subwoofers wants your opinion!

SV Subwoofers is offering (2) 20% off coupons redeemable up to 6 months after the drawing date (March 31st, 2006) to eligible forum members.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Respond to the poll above and explain your response below in this contest thread:

Note this contest ends on March 31st, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!
I voted for sticker price because am too much of a novice to be able to audition speakers well (no reference aside from my Sennhouser HD180s and itunes MP3). However I am wanting to experience HT in a big way... so my first purchase will be almost entirely based on other recommendations and budget.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis