Enter to Win: $100 off AV123 order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic
Contest Question: What is the single most important non-specific product related factor you consider when making a purchasing decision?

For me it's a good return policy esp when dealing with on-line only type items like speakers that are not available in regular stores. Most cost you shipping at least one way back, which is fair but I would like to see more no risk offers that would cover shipping cost even to return an item.

S

Shortsord

Audioholic Intern
Return policy and customer service. I consider the former a part of the latter, so they are tied together and count as one to me. Even if I don't end up liking a product, if the customer service was accommodating up 'till and through the return process, I will definitely keep a favorable opinion of them for future reference.

Reputation is important, too, but no matter how reputable, if I don't like it, I want to have no trouble returning it.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Contest Question: What is the single most important non-specific product related factor (such as performance, aesthetics, etc.) you consider when making a purchasing decision (such as return policy, name recognition, where products are manufactured, etc.)? Please be specific as to what constitutes a bonus and a what would hinder you from making a purchase.

Return Policy / Warrenty:

The main thing I consider is how likely that I will be stuck with a dud product. The harder it is to return a product (ie. within 14 days in an unopened box) the less likely I am to purchase it. The more liberal a policy the more likely I am to try it (with a low chance that I am going to return it... since a liberal policy makes me think that the company has reason to be confident in their product). Of course, the financials of the company I am purchasing from is also of consern since their liberal policy could be worthless if they close up shop right after I purchase their product.

S

stjoe

Enthusiast
Performance has to be tops, followed closely by perceived value.

Outstanding service is the bonus.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Customer Service.

Good examples Ive had dealings with in the past would be Axiom audio and Klaus at Odyssey audio. Two great companies who really care about their customers.

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
Contest Question: What is the single most important non-specific product related factor (such as performance, aesthetics, etc.) you consider when making a purchasing decision (such as return policy, name recognition, where products are manufactured, etc.)? Please be specific as to what constitutes a bonus and a what would hinder you from making a purchase.
Product-related factors aside, the single most important factor for me when buying something is great customer service.

Bonuses for me include 1) being able to easily reach the company if I have pre-purchase questions or a post-purchase problem and 2) knowing the product has a solid warranty. I wouldn't consider buying a product from a company with a horrid reputation. This goes for a brick and mortar retailer or an internet-direct one. Oh, and I hate pushy salesmen and salesmen who hawk snake-oil products.

Chris

S

stereojunkie

Enthusiast

I would say company reputation as well as warranty life and whether or not it is transferable or not. On the used market a transferable warranty is a big deal closer, gives the new owner a peace of mind. I would also say that customer support is a plus factor as well. How efficient and effective a company can hold support of their products.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
The most important factor for me is performance. I want something that sounds the way I want it to and performs well for my budget.

Reliability and company support are also important factors that go hand-in-hand and may cause me to turn away from something that otherwise performed well, but the thing I look for first is performance.

J

jayronna

Audiophyte
Company reputation and customer support. If I have trouble I want to know someone is there to help me.

Senior Audioholic

No questions asked return policy

A

aznshadoboy77

Audiophyte
What is the single most important non-specific product related factor (such as performance, aesthetics, etc.) you consider when making a purchasing decision (such as return policy, name recognition, where products are manufactured, etc.)? Please be specific as to what constitutes a bonus and a what would hinder you from making a purchase.

Reputation for me is the biggest selling factor - if lots of other people have had good experiences, then I think it's more likely that I will too. Good reputation for price/performance is pretty nice too. And flexibility.

R

Ray Salamon

Enthusiast
The most important factor for me when buying a product is how I'm treated throughout the entire process. How they handle pre-sell questions (i.e. do they just point you to the most expensive item, or actually listen to what you need and recommend off of that, are they quick with responses, or do I have to wait two days between each), how they are durning ordering (polite and informative, give expect ship dates etc.) and how they are after sales, especailly with returns/exchanges.
Simply put, overall customer service is what I look for.
One amplifier company I used to buy a lot from has absolute stellar C.S. Pre-sell they listen to what I ask and give me good, informative answers. If the person I was talking to didn't know, they got someone on the phone who did, even if it meant talking directly to the head of the team that designed the thing! During the sell, they'd let me (and anyone else) try the product for 30 days. If you didn't like it, for any reason in that time period, send it back. No questions. You call them, tell them you'd like to send it back, and within a couple of hours it shows up on your credit card and within a couple of days you have a return packing slip - PREPAID! And, no offense meant to anyone here, but you get a person from the USA on the line, who can speak English better than I. While that doesn't mean a whole lot to me, it does stand out from the usual outsourcing. It's nice to hear a voice with no strange accent and that I can clearly understand (and be understood).
After the sell, and initial 30 day period they are awesome as well. While the product is in warranty, they will send you a new one and take the old one, if something breaks. (They then re-furb the "broken" one and sell it as a refurb on their site - so you even get to keep the brand new one).
If the product is out of warranty, they'll explain all fees that you may get if you send it in to them to look at. While their prices to fix things are a bit steeper than a local store, due to the way they handle everything else I always sent it back in to them.
After some time, I found that the products they had to offer just didn't fit the bill for what I was looking for. I eventually tried every piece of equipment they had to offer, and nothing was "perfect". Every amplifier company has a "tone" that is "theirs". I just don't happen to love theirs. Even still though, when I see a new product of theirs come out, I call in and get the low down on it, and 99% of the time, end up at least trying it. Simply because I'd rather buy from them, due to how I am treated, than from some botique amp maker and be treated lesser.
They are a relativly small, but somewhat older company in the business. They don't get a lot of good rep, and I've yet to hear anything bad about them.
If you treat me (customer) well, I will keep going back to you. Simple as that :).

T

tiggers

Enthusiast
What is the single most important non-specific product related factor you consider when making a purchasing decision? Please be specific as to what constitutes a bonus and a what would hinder you from making a purchase.

The more I pay for the product, the more I think the company should stand behind their product. i.e. customer support and warranty.

I was reading about customer support for the Sanyo Z5 and how the manufacture warranty center seemed to be repeatedly trying to deny warranty claims. Despite the high performance marks given the projector, I'm going to pass on the Sanyo Z5 (and Sanyo projectors in general) when it comes time to buy my projector.

L

leaguer1leafs

Enthusiast
Reputation and customer service are the two biggies I look for.....
For internet direct company, a no-risk program is essential as listening test may be impossible.

If these 3 things are in place with good product at a reasonable price, I purchase.

T

tubesaregood

Audioholic
For me, it's company reputation and practices. If both are good, it will lead to a higher resale value on the products and a higher possibility of a reliable, solid product.

M

Maceo23

Junior Audioholic
I guess that reputation plays a large roll for me. If there is a probduct that I am interested in, it really puts my mind at ease if its froma company that has a very loyal following like AV123. It can help make a tough decision a little easier, maybe a little less of a gamble. I also think that having a 30 day in home trial is a huge selling point. Not only to measure the performance of the product, but also to measure customer service. I know that many people on this board, myself included, have done in home trials on, for example, speakers from a few ID companies at the same time to have a side by side comparison. Many tastes vary, and in some cases, the dicision turns out to be simple of performance only. However, if I was torn between a couple of manufacturers, if think that customer service and advice on purchase go a along way toward my final outcome. At the end of the day, sound quality is what it comes down to, but it always feels good to deal with a company who will go the extra mile.

sn_85

Audiophyte
For me the most important factor is customer service. I want to purchase from a company that makes me feel like I am a part of the family. It's nice to know that the company stands behind you and its products.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Definitely it is customer service. A place that deals with me professionally, every time I deal with them is going to earn my repeat business. But, when I have a problem, I want it dealt with immediately.

For example: I order a bunch of stuff, then the product show up, but I am sent the incorrect item. Instead of the $10 item I ordered, I receive a different $10 item. When I call, I expect the person to be able to easily pull up my order based on something easily identifiable on my receipt (ie: ORDER NUMBER: 12345) or by my name, phone number, etc.

I expect that person to be intelligible. Whether it is a person with a heavy accent or a bad phone system with cheap headsets - it affects my perception of the company. I don't see you in person, I don't care if the person is in their underwear. I need to be able to understand them and communicate with them.

Finally, I expect that person to be empowered enough to say "Sorry about the error sir, please don't waste your time returning that $10.00 item to us, just hang onto it and use it if you can, we will ship out the correct item right away."

Don't nickel and dime me or waste my time setting up a return, packing items, etc. on cheap items. Obviously big ticket stuff must be sent back, but I shouldn't be paying postage if it was not my error. If I order speakers in black, and I receive white - that's not my error.

I can probably think of a dozen other things that I like about dealing with stores, but when it comes to comes to manufacturers, one of the things I like most is when the manufacturer actually puts together a website that is very informational. I think that Denon does a pretty darn good job with this, as well as Yamaha. I think Definitive technology is so-so about it. If a company has EVER made a product, then that product should be up on their website with users guides, information, etc. Under ONE tab that says PRODUCTS. Don't give me 25 choices all over the place, give me that single tab and then put in the drop down menu from there.

List all the current products (ie: receivers, speakers, wires, etc.) then at the bottom put a heading for DISCONTINUED or ARCHIVE products. It may take a company a few weeks to go through old product and scan in users manuals to put them up online in PDF format, but that's the type of company that is actively showing that it gives a damn. I still am waiting for more companies to be like Denon and produce product that is specifically targetted towards the custom installer and identifies its products as such. Basic products like DVD players and VCRs with discrete codes. IR commands listed on the website if it isn't included on the remote. Good solid information that doesn't only put the customer first in the design process, but follows through to all aspects of the company.

S

squire.10@osu.e

Audioholic Intern
Customer service (I consider return policies to fall under the umbrella of customer service) is extremely important to me. I expect companies with whom I do business to treat me as though they earnestly want to have and keep my business. i expect friendly and prompt communication before and after I've made a purchase. Warranty duration is very important to me as well. Kudos to companies like Emotiva who offer an unbelievable warranty: 5 years and completely transferable. THAT'S standing behind your products!

Location of manufacture is important to me as well. A major reason I bought my SVS sub is that they are manufactured only a few hours away from me here in Ohio.

My purchases would certainly be hindered by lack or or insufficient return policy, poor customer service and what I deem to be an insufficient warranty.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Customer service, particularly post purchase. This includes return policies, warranties that back the product, humans available to answer questions.

What would hinder me from a purchase? Bad reputation re the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis