Enter to Win: $100 off AV123 order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike JL

Audioholic Intern
Company reputation is probably the single biggest influence on me. Reputation can be easily sullied in so many ways - product reliability, customer service, return policy, etc. - that it is a great general barometer in deciding to go ahead with a purchase.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Big Bonus: Made in USA or another country with reasonably decent labor laws. This is an ideal, and often not practical (and often difficult to be fully informed about) but I am willing to pay a bit extra, or lose a few features to fit such a product into my budget.

Big "Stop" sign: Stories of poor service/support. Nothing gets me to cross a purchase option off of my short list faster.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I'm going to say customer service of the company. All other things being equal, i'll buy from the company that stands behind their products and offers great customer service. It doesn't matter to me where it's made, but i don't want the company not to answer my emails/phone calls after they've got my money.

O

outfitter

Audiophyte
For me, a major deciding factor is the literature that is available. I enjoy multiple photos from different angles, I think that customer testimony is also a big deal. For on-line vendors I also prefer to buy from merchants who include shipping in the price of their products. A major deal breaker is if there is no return policy available.

V

Vanhoecke

Junior Audioholic
To me the equipment's performance rating is important. That why I appeciate sites like Audioholics, CNet, etc. I want to see what professional reviewers and customers have to say about the gear. I helps me better understand if the equipment is going to fit my requirments when I read the reviews. After that its about the cost/value/quality trade-off, some manufacturer have the abilty to deliver high quality equipment at a reasonable value (note: this doen't mean the lowest cost -- it's hitting that sweet spot between quality and price). After that its all about the customer support. :)

N

nhpm510

Audioholic
Most imp. : The seller is going to stand behind their product when problems arise.

Bonus: Made in the USA.

Hinder: Low quality.

Hanse18

Hanse18

Audioholic
Well, I basically just buy whatever Audioholics tells me too... :) On a serious matter, I do buy based on customer reviews, also overall company reputation and, of course, my gut feelings.

A bonus would be not having my product eclipsed in performance within 2 weeks, but if that's not an option, I have terrible luck so I'm happy if I can get something home, hook it up, and it works without any problems.

J

jwood966

Audiophyte
What is the single most important non-specific product related factor (such as performance, aesthetics, etc.) you consider when making a purchasing decision (such as return policy, name recognition, where products are manufactured, etc.)?

Hate to say it but... the most important factor is how its received and reviewed by audioholics and avsforum members. That and the number and quality of external, professional reviews.

Name recognition and where the products are manufactured mean nothing to me. The return policy is an average consideration... If a quality product is made... I figure I won't have to return it and if a poor performing product is made, i'll never buy it in the first place.

R

rushwj

Audioholic
[
Contest Question: What is the single most important non-specific product related factor (such as performance, aesthetics, etc.) you consider when making a purchasing decision (such as return policy, name recognition, where products are manufactured, etc.)? Please be specific as to what constitutes a bonus and a what would hinder you from making a purchase.

probably return policy and noted reliability. basically, overall customer service.

D

dennisdxl32

Enthusiast
What is the single most important non-specific product related factor (such as performance, aesthetics, etc.) you consider when making a purchasing decision (such as return policy, name recognition, where products are manufactured, etc.)? Please be specific as to what constitutes a bonus and a what would hinder you from making a purchase.

Definitely good customer service (responsive and flexible). People make mistakes, and a percentage of products will be lemons. Those things are not always controllable. How a company's customer service deals with things, though, is controllable. And that reflects on the type of people running the business, and whether I'd want to support them with my business.

Name recognition is a nice little perk. It helps when bragging to your friends. :D

A poor return policy is a hindrance, and it can reflect poor customer service, or lack of faith in the quality of one's product.

J

JaxLax

Audiophyte
Contest Question: What is the single most important non-specific product related factor (such as performance, aesthetics, etc.) you consider when making a purchasing decision (such as return policy, name recognition, where products are manufactured, etc.)? Please be specific as to what constitutes a bonus and a what would hinder you from making a purchase.

the most important part of making a FINAL decision on purchase (this large) is the company itself. How do they treat the customers? This kind of encompasses the 'return policy' part of the question. A warranty is only as good as the writer. You can tell me it's warranted, but what must I do to get the issue resolved?

What would hinder me? as above, reading and hearing about tech lines that are routed to somewhere where the "name" of my operator is not thier given name...Having to make sure to purchase from a 'authorized seller' even though they may not be an 'authorized repair-er' who still charges me 'authorized shipping' to simply send them back to the manufacturer to have a single spot of solder put on....i think you are getting the point...

a company who is streamlined and put together, stands behind thier work, and doesn't turn a blind eye to a single customer will ALWAYS get my busineses. Even if it's a little more expensive or takes longer to get, the confidence in knowing that future problems are already taken care of is well worth the money. :)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja

Performance is paramount! But right up there with it is customer service and my faith that the company prizes my continued business.

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
Name reconition is the most important factor for me. Buying a product that I may not be familar with from a familar name would be a huge bonus over a product from an unfamilar source.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
As a person just venturing into the A/V world I look at warranty and how the product is recommended to me. If I cannot find any good information about the item from a reputable source I will not buy it.

Anagoge

Anagoge

Junior Audioholic
For internet-based companies where I can't hear the product before purchasing, return policy is the critical factor.

The non-internet companies, company reputation is the most critical factor, since I can cerify sound myself.

Snake-oil sales/marketing are the biggest turn offs for me.

C

chicago25624

Audioholic Intern
Most specific

REPUTATION.

A man is only as good as his word. And your word is all you have. If the product does what it says and the vendor backs it up, all is good.

P

Pianoman84d

Audioholic
Question: What is the single most important non-specific product related factor (such as performance, aesthetics, etc.) you consider when making a purchasing decision (such as return policy, name recognition, where products are manufactured, etc.)? Please be specific as to what constitutes a bonus and a what would hinder you from making a purchase.

Name recognition based on customer support is the single biggest factor in my decision. My reasoning is as follows. 1) issue with product quality + bad support = very unhappy customer. 2) issue with product quality + superb customer service = happy customer. Bottom line is that if I am comfortable buying something, its probably because I know that if I buy it, the company will stand beyond their products 150%. Thats been my experience with few products unfortunately. MLS, you know av123 is the exception not the rule. :D

K

kono144

Junior Audioholic
What is the single most important non-specific product related factor (such as performance, aesthetics, etc.) you consider when making a purchasing decision (such as return policy, name recognition, where products are manufactured, etc.)? Please be specific as to what constitutes a bonus and a what would hinder you from making a purchase.

Overall Customer Service. Does the company respond to both voice messages and emails in a timely fashion? Does the company stand by their product? How well does the company handle customer issues?

I usually gauge how well a company treats customers by reviewing customer feedback on forums.

R

Ryan8886

Audioholic
Overall reputation for customer support and return policy. Do they respond promptly to product inquires both before AND after purchase.

P

project86

Audioholic
Echoing what has already been said by some... most important for me is the reputation of the company. That encompasses both reputation for good quality, and also reputation for good service/support. And this reputation has to been verifiable, such as AV123, rather than just marketing (BOSE).

A major problem for me is when they don't return emails... especially if they are internet direct. If you can't help me as a potential customer, I don't want to be put in a position to rely on you for help once I do own your product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis