Enter to Win: $100 off AV123 order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nhpm510

Audioholic
Ben Frankin, we need u!

"Put these subwoofer factors in order of importance to you and explain why you placed them in that order. Size of box, extension, responsiveness, aesthetics, correction system, other (fill in the blank). "

Extension/responsiveness - I'd just buy more speakers, if the low and fast wasn't needed!

Balance - is it good for Music as well as HT

Cost - reality has a place here

Aesthetics - WAF is important as most of us answer to a higher authority. (only some admit to it though!)

Build Quality - nice to have as well as a 3-5 yr warranty

correction system - yes as not all of us have hrs to spend on tweaking

Size - as long as the finish is nice,it doesn't matter.

Weight - no issue here.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Contest Question: Put these subwoofer factors in order of importance to you and explain why you placed them in that order. Size of box, extension, responsiveness, aesthetics, correction system, other (fill in the blank).
Assumeing my choises all cost the same...

1) responsiveness (I will take this a overall sound quality)
2) extension (adds to overall experience)
3) size (gotta have room for it)
4) aesthetics (I can deal with a black cube)
5) correction (they sell external alternatives)
6) A fake receipt that I can show the wife!:eek:

SBF1

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
Contest Question: Put these subwoofer factors in order of importance to you and explain why you placed them in that order. Size of box, extension, responsiveness, aesthetics, correction system, other (fill in the blank).
Extension
Responsiveness
correction system
size
aesthetics

Extension and responsiveness get a tie for me
I have never tried any correction systems so I am interested in the benefits
Size is not too much an issue
Aesthetics not so much because I know if its av123 it will be gorgeous, if not it could always be hidden!

PS you forgot cost!

D

dennisdxl32

Enthusiast
1) Other (cost): The greatest sub in the world does me no good if I can't afford it. Since I'm putting together an HT system from the scratch, there are many other components competing for limited funds, so I want good value.

2) Responsiveness: The sub needs to sound good and blend in with the rest of the system. Otherwise, it'll stick out like a sore thumb and ruin the enjoyment of the rest of the system, in which case it might be better to not even have one.

3) Extension: The sub needs to go low, because that's the raison d'etre for the sub. Otherwise, I could just use the woofers on the floorstanding speakers, but where would be the fun in that? ;)

4) Correction system: I don't know how my being-built HT room will sound, so it'd be nice if the sub could help things out. But that's less important than the items above because it could be compensated for with acoustic treatments or additional subs.

5) Aesthetics: It's less of a big of deal for me since the sub will be in a dedicated HT room. Plus, my wife has let the HT be "my room" (she gets to determine how the kitchen looks), so WAF is less important.

6) Size of box: It's the least important thing, as I'm willing to accept whatever size and shape the sub is as long as it sounds good (and doesn't cost too much).

S

samandnoah

Enthusiast
I have two different systems with different sets of criteria. There is 1) the all out theater, and then there is 2) the "must coexist with living space" criteria.

For #1:
Accuracy
Extension
Cost
Correction System
Aesthetics
Size of Box

For #2:
Size of box/Aesthetics (logic here is that the smaller the box, the less the aesthetics really matter, but as it gets larger and more visible, the more I care)
Cost
Extension/responsiveness,
Correction system

M

Mike JL

Audioholic Intern

Extension, responsiveness, aesthetics, size, correction and other.

To me, the most important characteristic of a good sub is its ability to deliver tight bass with impact for HT application. That puts extension and responsiveness first and second.

Given some number of subs that deliver acceptable performance, the next filter will be WAF. A sub that looks like a piece of fine furniture and doesn't physically dominate the room will be my first choice.

I'm not enough of an audiophile to know about correction or other, so they fall out at the end.

D

DMD123

Junior Audioholic

Cost
Responsiveness
extension
how it blends in
size of box

Lets face it most of us have a budget to follow (and some a wife to answer to) so cost is the first. Then the best performance for the space we have.

B

bersik

Junior Audioholic
1. responsiveness
2. correction system
3. extension
4. aesthetics
5. size of box
6. manufacturer (aka other)

To me, reproduction of sound and quality (items closely related to the first few numbers) are most important. Othe issues such as size, looks and maker are less important.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
My responses are based off of what I would be looking for in my next sub purchase.
1. Responsiveness - I will want something that sounds quick, clean and tight
2. Extension - Something that produces strong output atleast to the low 20's if not < 20 Hz.
3. Cost - What can I get within budget that will meet my first two criteria - what has to be sacrificed in order to maintain the budget allowed??????
4. Box size - I can't have something uber gigantic in my HT/toy/exercise room.
5. Aesthetics - The money I spend on the sub will hopefully go towards good response and extension - aesthetics can be sacrificed to a point.
6. Correction System - while this would be nice built into the sub, 1 and 2 would rule over it. You can always add this later if desired

G

GACrabill

Junior Audioholic
Other (boominess) - I just can't stand boomy subs.
Correction system - adjustable filters and servo control is a must for me.
Aesthetics - it has to fit in or it's a topic of ugliness.
Responsiveness - it cannot lag
Extension - has to significantly improve the low end provided by the mains
Size of box - almost any size works as long as the aesthetics are there.

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
Put these subwoofer factors in order of importance to you and explain why you placed them in that order.
1. other - maybe this is a combo of 3 and 4 but what about just plain sound quality, or maybe from an audiophile pov - fidelity
2. correction system - can't make it sing without this
3. responsiveness - probably part of #1
4. extension - overrated spec 18 hz vs 24 hz is probably more specmanship than real performance - need the db's with it...
5. aesthetics - if it is butt ugly, itr won't make it out of the basement
6. Size of box - see #5 - ditto

P

PAW

Audioholic Intern
1 - Quality: If it breaks in a few months.
2 - extension: Give me good deep stuff
3 - responsiveness:
4 - Size of box: There's only so much room in the house
5 - aesthetics: WAF
6 - Customer support: You need some one who will stand behind their product
7 - correction system: The one I have experience with didn't do much

B

bluecaps

Enthusiast
My priorities

Size of box,
responsiveness,
aesthetics,
correction system
extension,

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja

Extension...is everything in modern HT.
System Correction...is something I can't afford but would love to have.
Size of Box...I have a disability that keeps me from lifting heavy objects.
Responsiveness...I must have quality in my subs...this is a major part.
Aesthetics...Not so important, as I can hide subs (but would be proud of a finely finished one).

K

kermit_xc

Enthusiast
- responsiveness
- cost (other)
- extension
- aesthetics
- system
- Size of box
- correction

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
extension and responsiveness are first.. sound. size next, then aesthetics.

thats it.. sound first.. then size, then looks. all important, but thats the order i narrow things down in.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
1:responsiveness
2:extension
3:correction system,
4:Size
5:Aesthetics

Being a hip hop and rap lover, and the fact that I watch movies loud enough to piss off the neighborhood, I prefer responsive, noticeable subs that have the punch to deliver hit after hit after hit.

M

MatrixDweller

Enthusiast
Qualities I admire in a Sub

cost
extension
responsiveness
size
aesthethics

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
1)Other; Price: No matter how good something is if i cant afford then I can only glorify it. Which is pointless.

2)Responsiveness: Love accuracy. If a sub is not accurate and is just sloppy and all over the place, it really downgrades the overall sub.

3)Extension: Love the low lows at the right times. This goes into play with number 2.

4)Aesthetics: Who would not want a sexy looking enclosure? I do car audio, so I understand the importance of a nicely built custom enclosure. Does not have to be fancy; just some good eye candy. "When the engineering of a product is mastered the aesthetics follows suit."

5)Size: Well with the countless number of enclosure designs, I would think that its manageable to make a decent size enclosure. Meaning easy to move around to set up for placement. But this is very subjective because some like HUGE boxes and others like smaller size, then you have those who don't really care. To each his own.

6)Correction System: Not really a want or need to me at all.:cool:

O

oldnkranky

Audiophyte
Why bother?

Why bother? I received a call from Audioholics this morning. They asked if I knew who they were, I said yes. They asked if I remember enter a contest, I again said yes. They asked my if remember what it was for, I said that I thought it was a subwoofer, they said it wasn't. When I asked why I needed to know they told me that they ask the question to keep others from enter for someone else. I then asked if it was the Denon receiver. They hung up. I checked my e-mail the prize was a Yamaha RX-V659 AV Receiver. This stinks, especially because there contest rules say nothing about this. Has anyone ever posted after winning and receiving a prize? The way they're running this I wonder if any prizes are awarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis