Emotiva XPA-2 Two Channel Amplifier Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Not only does Emotiva have a winner on their hands with the XPA-2 two channel amplifier, but they’ve literally hit the ball out of the park with this creation rewriting the rule book on high performance amplifiers on the cheap. The XPA-2 is not only the most powerful amplifier that has come across my test bench, but it represents the best value in consumer two-channel amplification that I’ve ever seen. Quite frankly, when I think about it, the XPA-2 is a lone wolf in a pasture of sheepish amplifiers. The XPA-2 can pump out ungodly power without ever breaking a sweat and its also very friendly installable, thanks to its cool running operation. The only question that remaining is, are you ready to drink some fine wine at beer prices or do you prefer to continue paying for beer at wine prices?

Discuss "Emotiva XPA-2 Two Channel Amplifier Review" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Great review, looks like it's quite a beast.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I just read it. It sounds like a great amp. I may be getting one for my upstairs system once I sell my Jamo's...Thanks Gene..I do know of a few people who have had major trouble with their Emotiva products though.....:eek:

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'm a big fan of EMO. Great stuff at great prices. Lonnie mentioned at some point that they have the capacity to make a multi-channel class D amplifier. Would love to see that!

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Great review!! I love to see bench tests on ALL Emotiva's amplifiers to see if they all do better than their published specs. My guess is they all probably do.

Matt34

Matt34

I would eventually like to get one of these to power the subs in my custom mains so to cosmetically match my LPA-1 that will power the tweeters, mids, and mid-bass. It looks like it will have the power to push two JL 8W7's to pretty ridiculous levels.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
All;

I just got approval from Emotiva to auction my XPA-2 test sample at our SOTU event with all proceeds going to the non profit organization National Center for Conservation & Science Policy (NCCSP), I just lugged the amp into my van and bringing it over to the hotel in preparation for our event on Oct 23rd. I also included a print out of my bench test results.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
I find the lack of responses to this review disturbing :confused:
I think there are a lot of big fans of Emo on this site already and they are just basking in the afterglow from having their opinions formally amplified by a professional review.

I'm a huge fan and use the XPA-3 and cannot find anythingto complain about. Someday I may figure out how to do real measurements and try to do a review but ultimately I am too happy with just listening to it to concentrate on doing that anytime soon.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
What other amps in or around this price range do the XPA-2 compete with?

Also what do you have to spend to get similar power results and lower sound floor and clarity?

While the price is obviously attractive is there anything really close to this for $1500 or $2000?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
How is this amp in Home Theater demos?
driving the mains only? The amp would handle the duty well, however for the price of their 5ch amps......:D

Id certainly purchase this amp for a 2ch setup, I think it would sound great with my current mains:p;)

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I'm a big fan of EMO. Great stuff at great prices. Lonnie mentioned at some point that they have the capacity to make a multi-channel class D amplifier. Would love to see that!
Looks like everyone is jumping on that boat....

SVS is making a multichannel Class D amp... they showed a glimpse of it in that demo they did in Norway? - I think it was somewhere over there... :)

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I've heard great things from owners of this amp and if I had the need, I'd certainly try one. Great price/performance ratio for those that need the power. I do. Maybe after the XMC finds a way into my rig, I can justify a new amp too.

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
I've had an XPA-2 since July.
Outstanding amp. I hemmed and hawed for quite a while before I finally bought it.
VERY glad I did.

Jack

C

chjo100

Enthusiast
Xpa-2 + ???

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the home theater scene but was impressed with the review on the XPA-2. I'm currently hoping to purchase a pair of Mythos ST for the front speakers and the Mythos ten center channel and run the Promonitor 1000 for the surrounds. Would you recommend the XPA-2 to drive the front speakers with the XPA-3 to drive the surrounds, or would I be better of getting the XPA-5 to drive all five speakers. Either option would be within my budget but I wasn't sure if the XPA-2 and XPA-3 paired together was better combination than having the XPA-5. I appreciate the in depth review and any advice you can offer.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I'm seriously looking at getting the XPA-3 for my mains/center (plus a BD-550) running off of my VSX-1015...Christmas is just around the corner. Are the caps in the XPA-3 wired in a similar manner as the XPA-2?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
The XPA-2 made it's debut appearance at my house in July for Lallapa-Loser '08 along with the RPA-2 and the UPA-2. All excellent two channel amplifiers. But I personally thought the XPA-2 was the best of the bunch. A REAL beast of an amp :cool:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44262
http://emotivalounge.proboards54.com/index.cgi?board=off&action=display&thread=1859
i highly recomend this amp, for the money i cant think of anything that beats it;)

majorloser

majorloser

The XPA-2 that was used for this review was auctioned off for charity at the 2008 Audioholics SOTU party.

And the winner was...

Rickster71
Not that there's anyting wrong with that.

Rick and his lovely wife

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis