Emotiva XPA-2 Two Channel Amplifier Review

sticknstones

sticknstones

Enthusiast
I'm looking forward to that. It's on its way, so I should have it by weeks end. By the way, BlueJeansCable has impressed me quite a bit. I ordered interconnects on Friday evening. Since they are on the west coast, they shipped them the same day. I got them today. I was totally shocked. Nice service and the cables seem to be high quality... I'm looking forward to using them.
I agree on the Bluejeans! Did you get the multichannel BJC-LC cable?

I got the 5.1 and bought them because of the capacitance specs they published. I called and spoke with them as well very accessible company!

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
I ordered the LC-1 from them. I actually ordered an extra pair, so I may need to test their return policy. The cable quality seems quite good though. Now I only need my Emotiva Amp to come in.. Highly anticipating this... It should make my B&W 802's sing. They have been under powered for some time now.

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
By the way, nice pic on your posts. I'm a huge Beatles fan! Best group ever IMO!!

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
XPA-2 Arrived

I received my XPA-2 today. It took me about an hour to install, because I had to reconfigure/relocate some gear. The build quality is excellent and man is this thing heavy! Very impressive piece for under $800. I didn't get much of a chance to put it through its paces, but with the little bit of listening I did do, it sounds great! Very powerful too. With only 2 LCD lights lit up, it was very, very loud, yet clear with very little if any distortion.

I'll give you another update tomorrow or Friday after I've had more a chance to experiment with it.

B

blessingx

Audiophyte
The XPA-2 made it's debut appearance at my house in July for Lallapa-Loser '08 along with the RPA-2 and the UPA-2. All excellent two channel amplifiers. But I personally thought the XPA-2 was the best of the bunch. A REAL beast of an amp :cool:
ML (or others) as someone who's considering the XPA-2 or RPA-2 for mostly 2-channel audio could you make a few comments about why you preferred the XPA-2? I see there are others here (and a bunch over at Emotivas board) trying to decide between the two (especially with the XPA sale bring the price in line) and looking for any guidance. With XPAs top three advantages seemingly 1) dynamics, 2) dynamics and 3) dynamics it's difficult finding out details on other performance differences between the two. General traits repeated seem to be HT (XPA) v. audio (RPA) or rock (XPA) v. jazz (RPA), but any additional comments would be greatly appreciated. I've even called Emotiva and have to admit still confused. ;) Thanks in advance.

D

darkvisions

Audiophyte
I had an XPA-2 for about 4 months before I upgraded to the XPA-1's. I listen to everything from Jeff Beck, Diana Krall, Iron Maiden, Allison Kraus, Dio, Al DiMeola, Black Sabbath, Chick Corea etc. and I never found the XPA-2 lacking in anything with my +20 year old Snell Type-E II's.

It brought out the finest details in jazz to me and also crushed my neighborhood with hard rock.

I never heard the RPA series of amps so I can't comment on that.

Diana Krall sounded awesome with the XPA-2 both her CD's and her concert DVD's. Al DiMeola's Elegant Gypsy was the best I ever heard it with the XPA-2, until I got the XPA-1's.

Everything is subjective as each of us hear differently, have different set ups, different room acoustics etc.

I could have lived with the XPA-2 for a long time and been totally happy but I have always lusted after mono-blocks :D, that is the only reason I changed.

Hope this helps a little

B

blessingx

Audiophyte
Thanks much darkvisions. That helped a great deal, especially with listing Krall, Kraus, etc. Only further complication is that last line—lusting after mono-blocks. Believe me I understand, 'cause the RPA is in essence a mono-block design, just in a single chassis. Decisions. Decisions. ;)

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
ML (or others) as someone who's considering the XPA-2 or RPA-2 for mostly 2-channel audio could you make a few comments about why you preferred the XPA-2? I see there are others here (and a bunch over at Emotivas board) trying to decide between the two (especially with the XPA sale bring the price in line) and looking for any guidance. With XPAs top three advantages seemingly 1) dynamics, 2) dynamics and 3) dynamics it's difficult finding out details on other performance differences between the two. General traits repeated seem to be HT (XPA) v. audio (RPA) or rock (XPA) v. jazz (RPA), but any additional comments would be greatly appreciated. I've even called Emotiva and have to admit still confused. ;) Thanks in advance.
I'd place a posting here for Gene. He's listened to both and could probably tell you the nuances between them. I only have experience with the XPA-2 and have had it for 2 days. So far, I'm impressed. I'm more of a Jazz guy than a hard rock, soooo... if the RPA is better for Jazz, Gene, please chime in so I can exercise my 30 day trial window, that is if you think it's really a major difference. Shipping back a 90 pound Amp is likely not going to be cheap!

majorloser

majorloser

Since Gene is the electrical engineer around this place, I'll let him give the intelligent answer. But I'll give you my take and what I just PM'd blessingx to hold you over till the pros pipe up.

The RPA-2 is a class "H" amplifier. It will roll off frequencies similar to a tube amplifier. Some people like this sort of "softened" sound. To me this is altering the signal. Not what was originally recorded.

The XPA-2 is a class A/B design. Something much perferred to audiophiles. This yields clean power without any degradation or change to the signal. The XPA-2 also will have more available power for peak levels due to it's high capacitance. So you end up with lots of clean power available for your speakers. For me, more power is always GOOD.

Make sure you read Gene's review of the XPA-2. He loved it. The one he tested was auctioned off at the Audioholics SOTU party for charity. I know he didn't want to part with it. You might want to send a PM to Rickster71. He's the one who won the amp at the party.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The RPA-2 is a class "H" amplifier. It will roll off frequencies similar to a tube amplifier. Some people like this sort of "softened" sound. To me this is altering the signal. Not what was originally recorded.
Dave, you really got my attention with that statement. I hadn't heard that before. The RPA-2 is supposed to identical to my RPA-1 except for the cosmetics (right?). I thought that the RPA-1 was supposed to have a flat response. Gene's measurements of the RPA-1 didn't seem to indicate a roll-off at frequencies that I'd think would matter - but like you, I'm waiting to hear from the experts as they know much more about this than me.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I believe the RPA-1 was a class "G" amp (?).
Sounds familiar, but I can't remember. I thought that the RPA-1 and RPA-2 were the same except for cosmetics based on two things on Emotiva's product page. First, this (ignoring what I firmly believe is a typo regarding "RSP-1" instead of "RPA-1"):
*The RPA-2 shares all the features, design and build of the acclaimed and award-winning RSP-1, and features an updated look that complements current Emotiva products.
followed by their linking to the AH review on the RPA-1.

B

blessingx

Audiophyte
As I understood it the RPA-1 and 2 are the same internally. According to the below [sorry I don't have link permissions - it was Tom Andry's RPA-1 review] the RPA-1 was Class H also.

I appreciate your help majorloser (and everyone else). Out of curiosity though, is AB really "much perferred to audiophiles" over H. Or at least any more than A is over AB? ;) Interesting their "reference series" would be H and their "power series" be AB.

More digging has brought up another general statement: analog (RPA-2) v. digital (XPA-2) preferences which would echo some of the other statements. Though I question how much of this is experience and how much repeating. ;)

I think I'm most confused by the XPA-2 being "more transparent" and the RPA-2 having "lower distortion" ... course I may be misinterpreting here.

majorloser

majorloser

From personal experience in my own home, I like the XPA-1 over the RPA-1.
It sounded cleaner to me. Same speakers in the same positon at the same time in an A/B switching.

There was also other members at my GTG where Emotiva brought the gear to my home. Might want to PM them and ask. Here's the link to my meet thread:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44262

P

PaulF

Audioholic
Gene, I noticed you used the unbalanced inputs for your review. What would be the resultant noise floor if balanced inputs were used?

I agree that an input sensitivity switch would make sense, I see no value in reaching 100% amplifier output with the volume at 50% when using a decent pre/pro. In fact I would prefer the more precise control the volume would allow with a lower gain amp.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
I'd like to see an option of a plexi or lexon type replacement cover... a very nice interior design. It's nice to see that level of attention to detail and pride.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
No, the XPA-2 doesn’t treat my music with the kid gloves that my much more expensive $7k Denon POA-A1HDCI amplifier is able to do, but it shares many of its sonic virtues while also besting it in sheer output power.
Just out of curiosity I read this review recently, since I'm in the amplifier market right now. The quote above fascinated me. Gene, do you believe that there are audible differences between well-designed amplifiers performing within their specifications?

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
Just out of curiosity I read this review recently, since I'm in the amplifier market right now. The quote above fascinated me. Gene, do you believe that there are audible differences between well-designed amplifiers performing within their specifications?
Good question Im curious to know as well

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis