Emotiva Ultra 12 Subwoofer Review

M

mratek

Audiophyte
I don't think you will be dissapointed with the Emotiva. I have had mine for about a week and it is performing well with both music and movies. I can say I made a good choice for the price.

G

gajenn

Audioholic Intern
thanks man, it was the review and price that inspired me to purchase it..i was saving for a larger sub but now for a next few months at least ill have some deeper bass..although the q900's do pretty well i want my seat to shake a bit on ht.

B

BBF

Enthusiast
Wow, after reading the review, then going to emotiva's site and finding the price is $429 with free shipping made me think LONG and HARD about purchasing this sub.... I don't need it, but damn, it's a great deal for what it is... So I backed away from the "buy" button after much thought.

Damn you audioholics.

Plus today I just got an email from some classical music emotiva package contest that I entered a while back that includes a $20 off code for Emotiva.

It's CL1111

I haven't tried it and have no idea when it expires and how much you have to buy before it's valid.
http://www.classicsonline.com/newsletters/COL-Emotiva_Jan2011.html?utm_source=COL_News&utm_medium=email&utm_content=ViewWebVer&utm_campaign=COLEmotiva-Jan2011

The extra 20 bucks off has gotten me thinking about it again... Damn you again audioholics and Clint especially for writing up such a detailed review.
:mad:

digicidal

digicidal

Full Audioholic
Well, BBF, allow me to make it a little bit harder still.

I pulled the trigger on two of these about 2 weeks ago. I have a pretty large room (14X20 with a vault running 9' to 16' and an open side, and rear which both open into other large rooms). I've got both subs in the corners for some reinforcement which I'm definitely reconsidering as it's not necessary - although they are pulled out into the room by about 18" from back and side walls.

When I ran the Audyssey setup, it yelled at me about sub levels until I had both subs turned down to 1 nit above the lowest allowed by the gain knob, and I'm at a listening distance of ~13'. At the moment while researching my new L/C/R speakers - I'm using a pair of Polk RTi A1's on stands. It's phenomenal for movies (well with the limitation of having a phantom center ATM). The LFE really hits you right in the chest, but is pretty clean despite my room being untreated at the moment with the exception of the area rug and sofa. From the sounds of things the amps are not even waking up - let alone stressing about anything.

For music, it's much more of a treat actually, and until I have some speakers that can themselves drive decent SPLs in the space... totally overkill. However, I have no doubt - based on my experience watching a couple of BD's and listening to a couple of my favorite CDs as well - that they will be more than a match for anything my budget and/or wife is likely to ever allow me to put into my house (at least until I first put her in a bigger one). :D

Of note is that if you purchase two like I did - there's a further discount of $50 off the order, and with no taxes and no shipping - it was just barely over $800 for 2 12" subs and 1000W of collective peak power behind them. Similar output and power are definitely attainable for the price - but with the inflexibility of being a single sub.

The review pretty much covered everything else - i.e. the very good build quality, impeccable packaging and shipping, etc... I don't see upgrading subs for a very long time.

PS - I belive the coupon code is simply for entering the contest (and unfortunately not winning - I got one too). I think it applies to pretty much everything - even accessories, but I could be wrong about that.

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
Wow, after reading the review, then going to emotiva's site and finding the price is $429 with free shipping made me think LONG and HARD about purchasing this sub.... I don't need it, but damn, it's a great deal for what it is... So I backed away from the "buy" button after much thought.

Damn you audioholics.

Plus today I just got an email from some classical music emotiva package contest that I entered a while back that includes a $20 off code for Emotiva.

It's CL1111

I haven't tried it and have no idea when it expires and how much you have to buy before it's valid.
http://www.classicsonline.com/newsletters/COL-Emotiva_Jan2011.html?utm_source=COL_News&utm_medium=email&utm_content=ViewWebVer&utm_campaign=COLEmotiva-Jan2011

The extra 20 bucks off has gotten me thinking about it again... Damn you again audioholics and Clint especially for writing up such a detailed review.
:mad:
Coupon code requires purchase of at least $100 from Emotiva.

A

alligatorman

Audiophyte
Comparing Output Measurements

I was digging around the review archives at audioholics and found something to try to compare to this review.

Just looking at straight output...trying to compare the Ultra 12 to something of a known quantity or reference.

So the archived review is about the HSU VTF-3 MK3. Measurements were at about 106db using 2m ground plane on axis.

The Ultra was measured at 1m ground plane on axis at 114db.

Huge difference..!

So my question is...what's the difference in SPL between the two measurement methods?

(ie How loud does this Ultra 12 get compared to a respected sub?)

Nate

Last edited:
jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Since one was measured at 1m and the other at 2m, knock 6db off the Ultra so you get 108dB at 2 meters. It's still louder but not quite twice as loud. In normal use, it might be hard to tell the difference. The Hsu probably has better extension but that will be room dependent.

FWIW, I have a Hsu VTF 3.3 that I'm happy with but I think the Emo is a really good sub based on what I read.

Jim

A

alligatorman

Audiophyte
By the numbers (too bad we dont hear with numbers)

That's amazing, considering the Emo has a sealed box with the same power amp as the Hsu....

Here's the breakdown comparing the Hsu VTF3-Mk3 versus the Emotiva Ultra 12 with the -6dB correction factored in to make it an equal comparison.

20hz VTF 96dB EMO 85dB
25hz VTF 103dB EMO 93dB
30hz VTF 105dB EMO 97dB
35hz VTF 106dB EMO 100dB
40hz VTF 107dB EMO 101dB
45hz VTF 107dB EMO 105dB
50hz VTF 106dB EMO 106dB
55hz VTF 106dB EMO 108dB
60hz VTF 105dB EMO 108dB
65hz VTF 105dB EMO 108dB
70hz VTF 104dB EMO 107dB
75hz VTF 103dB EMO 105dB
80hz VTF 103dB EMO 104dB

Based on this, I can conclude that the VTF-3 Mk3 is a better sub for that home theatre earthquake by a large margin.

Mean while, the EMO would be great for someone who listens to rock and roll with lots of drums.

It may be more difficult to EQ the EMO compared to the HSU with the EMO haveing such a pronounced peak at 50-70hz, depending on room acoustics.

How's that for my third post?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This looks like measurements taken of the Hsu in max output mode. Ilka found numbers a bit higher than this in his testing, but I don't remember if he was measuring from 1m or 2m. In max extension mode, it would be much louder in the lower frequencies.

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
This looks like measurements taken of the Hsu in max output mode. Ilka found numbers a bit higher than this in his testing, but I don't remember if he was measuring from 1m or 2m. In max extension mode, it would be much louder in the lower frequencies.
I've always found it interesting that there's a pretty large discrepancy between the AH numbers and Ilkka's on the VTF-3 MK3 at 20hz (Maximum Output). It's not a small discrepancy, either - it's around 5dB!

Both tests were at two meters.

I wonder what caused such substantial differences?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It could be due to a lot of factors. The weighting of the microphone could be one factor here. It's hard to imagine a sealed 12 with a similarly powerful amp besting the VTF3 at any frequency, but perhaps as a VTF3 owner I am just biased. The thing is a beast and I have never pushed it to its limit, because I am afraid to (it rattles my ceiling tiles and pipes too much)! Nonetheless, the Ultra Sub 12 looks like a great little sub, and I think it's sale price makes it the best value in sealed 12"s out there right now.

C

Casey01

Enthusiast
I am curious since the Outlaw LFM-1 EX is essentially an HSU Mk3 hybrid with a couple of minor alterations AND costing less money, how would it measure up in this comparison with these two subs?

P

Protostar1

Audioholic Intern
Sorry to go sort of off topic, but I just ordered an Ultra 12... I'm very excited to see how it performs! I will post up my two cents when I get it fired up. I had to tell someone hahaha

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have both the VTF3 and LFM-1 EX subs. They are basically the same sub with regards to performance, both are real monsters. I think the VTF3 makes a slightly better endtable type sub duet to its side-firing driver, but the LFM will do well there also, thanks to the plexiglass top. They are both fantastic subs. If you are choosing between them, I think what should determine that decision is the intended placement of the sub, not really the $50 price difference.

P

Protostar1

Audioholic Intern
Just received my Ultra 12 (FedEx did a fantastic job of annihilating the box, but a ton of packing material saved the sub). I must say, my first impressions of the sub are positive and it is much more attractive than my friend's Klipsch Sub 12 for roughly the same price. I will be setting it up in a moment but wondered if anyone had recommendations for a break-in procedure. That assumes such a thing is even necessary...

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
I got my Ultra Sub 12 today,the box was in perfect shape,it was packed extremely well,and it fired right up,I still have to tweak it,I also bought a Anti-mode 8033C today.

this sub is very nice looking in this black satin finish IMO.

so I will have this sub with my Paradigm DSP-3200,I can run both subs through the Anti-mode 8033C .

I will update when I get all this dialed in.

thanks for the info and review.

digicidal

digicidal

Full Audioholic
I will be setting it up in a moment but wondered if anyone had recommendations for a break-in procedure. That assumes such a thing is even necessary...
Yes, it is necessary (unless you are going to use it as an end table) - however, there is nothing required other than playing it. :)

I just put on Lord of the Rings and ran it boosted louder than I have it running now (I put the gain dial on both - I got two Ultra 12's - at the third hash mark) and let it play at a pretty loud volume. Loud enough that I didn't really want to be in the room basically for about 25-30 minutes. I would guess from the sounds alone that the break-in took less than 5 of those, but during that time it did audibly get deeper and smoother in the bass.

After that I calibrated both which called for reducing the gain by 2/3 what I had it at... and the sound hasn't changed. Bascially all you're doing is getting it a little warm and working the surround. After it's broken in during the first few minutes... the rest is just for fun anyway. :D

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
Thanks, Gene, for the great review. However, I believe the MSRP on Emotiva's site is $599.
It's on SALE right now for 429.00 shipped! I'm ordering it tomorrow. Along with a Balanced Cable.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis