Emotiva Ultra 12 Subwoofer Review

K

kevon27

Annoying Poster
Why aren't there any readings below 20hz? I assume if the sub can play at 85 db at 20hz, is should be able to to down to say 15hz and still give out around 65-75 db.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I see the Ultra 12 was compared to the JL F110. How do you think it would compare to the F112? I am thinking about switching out my F112 for 4 Ultra 12's. Upgrade or not?
If you want to run subs scattered around the room, Geddes style, or in all the corners, Harmon style, you would more easily achieve a smoother response than just one sub. Is it worth the hassle? If you were starting from scratch, then yes, but since you already have a state of the art sub...maybe, maybe not.

Holy red chicklets! You better not listen to what I have to say. (Thanks, dudes.)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Why aren't there any readings below 20hz? I assume if the sub can play at 85 db at 20hz, is should be able to to down to say 15hz and still give out around 65-75 db.
If you read my comments you will notice there was a lot of windnoise the day I was testing the sub. Any measurements below 20Hz would have been wind related. Considering the sub was already 24dB down at 20Hz, any measurements lower would have been pretty meaningless anyways.

V

vitocorleone123

Audiophyte
Great review. I bought an Emotiva Ultra 10 when it was newly released for ~$269. Any chance you could do a quick review of the Ultra 10 vs the Ultra 12 - while measurements would be fantastic, even some light measurements plus your expert opinion would be meaningful.

Assuming the Ultra 10 is built like the Ultra 12, only with a smaller driver and amp, I'd assume it's also a considerable value, especially at the introductory price I paid.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I see the Ultra 12 was compared to the JL F110. How do you think it would compare to the F112? I am thinking about switching out my F112 for 4 Ultra 12's. Upgrade or not?
If your looking to use this for HT you may not get as much low end below 20hz with the prominent roll off before 20hz as Gene stated.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Nice review, but I have a hard time believing a sealed 12" can "dominate" a 4800 cubic foot listening space. Granted I have not heard the sub, but still, I think this might be misleading. Someone in a room of that size who just throws one in the corner or anywhere else for that matter and expects big movie bass will have another thing coming.

S

slowlybuilt

Enthusiast
How would this compare to the HSU VTF2-Mk3? It is about the same price point.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Nice review, but I have a hard time believing a sealed 12" can "dominate" a 4800 cubic foot listening space. Granted I have not heard the sub, but still, I think this might be misleading. Someone in a room of that size who just throws one in the corner or anywhere else for that matter and expects big movie bass will have another thing coming.
That raised an eyebrow over here too. I'd really like to see that comment clarified. 1800cuft heck yes, 2800 maybe, but "dominate" 4800 cubic feet? To me "dominate" means play at reference level across the entire rated frequency response anywhere in the room. People are going to be spending hard earned money based on that review.

S

slowlybuilt

Enthusiast
The HSU will likely have more output especially down low as it's a ported design. How big is your room?
My room is 14x15x9, but it opens into a 8x11 room and hallway that opens to the rest of the house.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
My room is 14x15x9, but it opens into a 8x11 room and hallway that opens to the rest of the house.
With the attached room and hallway that's probably pushing 6000cuft. That's a lot for a $500 sub however nearfield (sub up close to you) might work. I'd contact Hsu and get their advice.

S

slowlybuilt

Enthusiast
With the attached room and hallway that's probably pushing 6000cuft. That's a lot for a $500 sub however nearfield (sub up close to you) might work. I'd contact Hsu and get their advice.
Oh it is definitely near field. I sit about 8' away from my 58" plasma and my towers are rear ported with side firing woofers, so I keep them about 19 inches away from the wall and about 30 inches from the side walls. The room is actually alot smaller than the dimensions make it seem. The openings out of the room are also small.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
What is the basis for this observation?

I know you know your stuff, but don't understand how you made this inference.

Thanks!
The hump in response looks like the box Qtc is greater than 0.707. That might not be a bad thing. With room gain lifting the low end you may get a lot of bass at even lower frequencies.

My knee-jerk reaction is that the hump in mid bass will make it sound bassier but a little sloppy. My own preference is for a closer to critically damped system which rolls off slower but sooner.

Ultimately it will depend on the room. I do think the Emotiva is a good sub based on the review and measurements. One would be hard pressed to do a lot better with a DIY sub for less money.

Jim

digicidal

digicidal

Full Audioholic
I have to say that for the money it really is hard to beat. I just ordered two of them - for the $429... but when you go to the order page - you see the bonus: Get an additional $50 off when you buy 2 or more! :)

Although it doesn't come off on the purchase, when I inquired of them they responded that the $50 will be credited to my card.

So... free shipping, no sales tax, and $50 off for multiples.

Although I'm sure it won't "Dominate" my room (even though they'll be in the corners - it's a totally open floorplan with open back and one side plus 15' valuted ceilings) I feel pretty confident that it will be at least as good as a single $800 sub for the content I listen to.

I'm sure it won't do nearly as much as a monster sub from SVS or similar - but it should give a little bit more balance and well within my budget as well.

NOTE: At the full price and without the discount I would not be as impressed - in fact if they were the $599 ea indicated as the regular price on the front page (the store shows $499 as the regular price however??) - I would definitely not consider them a great deal. I think for $1200 I could do much, much better - even if I just had to get a single sub for the price.

For $800 however, I'm feeling pretty good about it. :)

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Would love to see a comparison, not only with the SVS you mentioned, but the Elemental Designs sealed subs. The ED A5s-300 is similar size, a little pricier with Emotiva's promotional pricing.

Sugarbear

Sugarbear

Junior Audioholic
This is now the sub I want, after backing down from the Rhythmik F12.

The Emo's price, size and seeming performance should do well in my smallish room. I'm sure it'll handily beat my ailing, aging Jamo 6510 10" sealed sub. With a little discipline added by my Anti Mode 8033B sub eq... let the good times roll. :)

I like progressive steps up the quality ladder. I'll upgrade to my servo-controlled Rythmik later on.

G

gajenn

Audioholic Intern
just bit the bullet on the 12" emotiva..I was considering the vtf 15h or the svs 12",but after reading the review and looking at my budget...

K

kjohn

Enthusiast
The VTF-15H is in a different league than the Emotiva sub by quite a large margin and I do mean LARGE the SVS I cannot speak on.

G

gajenn

Audioholic Intern
kjohn it was a budget decision..ill upgrade when i can but better to have the emotiva than no sub..

K

kjohn

Enthusiast
Oh I see in that case I agree enjoy the sickness has just started :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis