J

Justin Bass

Enthusiast
OR... Im looking into the Denon and I could buy a AVR-X6300H 7.2.4 for 1500.00..I just created a MONSTER. I have the AVR-X6200W 7.2.2. Seriously I have to do way more research. I dont even know what I want. As of right now my 7.2.2 sounds great. 2 svs subs, 4k Oppo, 4k OLED(3D) 9 Klipsch Speakers.
OK Tell me why people run separate amps? They say it sounds better? My speakers handle 150 Watts, thats what it says on the back of them, all 9.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Your speakers will FRY at 150W, not require 150W to play sound. Likely you are using 5-10W on average and maybe 100 for a few seconds peak.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OR... Im looking into the Denon and I could buy a AVR-X6300H 7.2.4 for 1500.00..I just created a MONSTER. I have the AVR-X6200W 7.2.2. Seriously I have to do way more research. I dont even know what I want. As of right now my 7.2.2 sounds great. 2 svs subs, 4k Oppo, 4k OLED(3D) 9 Klipsch Speakers.
OK Tell me why people run separate amps? They say it sounds better? My speakers handle 150 Watts, thats what it says on the back of them, all 9.
If your System already sounds great, then don’t waste any money now. It’s really simple.

Amps or separates won’t improve the sound quality if your speakers don’t require more power.

Create a HT account and put money into this account for a later date.

Then watch that HT account grow bigger while you dream about your next dream System. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's my thinking with the Monolith lineup, may as well go for the full boat.
Good point, but I thought I remember something weird about the Monolith pricing vs spec so I just double checked the specs. I can now say that unless they have a typo in the specs, I would not recommend their 3 channel amp but the 5 channel amp that has the highest kVA transformer capacity per watt.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Good point, butI thought I remember something weird about the Monolith pricing vs spec so I just double checked the specs. I can now say that unless they have a typo in the specs, I would not recommend their 3 channel amp but the 5 channel amp that has the highest kVA transformer capacity per watt.
Yes, the (2 &) 3 channel amps use the single transformer, and the 5 (& 7) channel Monoliths add the second transformer. If you buy the 5 channel and use it as a 3 channel amp, you will have a very strong 3 channel amp! If you do this, use amps 1, 3, & 5; leaving 2 & 4 empty. This will spread out the heat and reduce concentrations (though this amp keeps it cool well ... unless you have some super power hungry speakers).

However, if you bought the 7 and used it as a 3 channel, you would still get the same benefit (but at a greater cost). It mostly depends on whether you think the extra channels might come in handy for future needs!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Separate amps are primarily about power, perhaps better handling of "difficult" speakers (very low impedance speakers and/or those with difficult phase angles). Some guys like to have more power than they'll ever really use just because. Lots of hype about it for sure, some created for selling, some for consuming. Some will swear it makes their speakers sing/come alive, that sort of thing, merely by hooking it up (or gazing at the amp or fondling it)....but unused power is unused power. More powerful amplifier can give you some more headroom, or perhaps respond to peaks better.

You have relatively sensitive speakers (not sure about their impedance profile/phase angles, will let you look into that), so bet you can do fine with relatively modest amplification depending on distance from the speakers and your spl needs. I used to automatically use power amps on my avrs (and will still always buy an avr with pre-outs to have the option), but took them off a while back, but also have been trying to not listen so loud these days to be nicer to my ears as well. YMMV.

If you say it sounds great now why worry about it?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I agree. I seriously doubt you are working your AVR very hard at all with those Klipsch's.
However, if you are buying an amp we will try to help you make sure it is a good value/choice.

One thing to consider is where you are putting the amp.
The ATI/Monolith is 17-1/4" deep (includes the banana plug connections) once you attach banana plugs and a little space for the wires, that becomes about 18-1/2" deep.
The Gen 1 Emotiva was almost 21" deep by the time you added the connections, which could be a problem in many situations.
I would suspect their newer designs probably reduced that dimension, but I don't have a measurement on that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree. I seriously doubt you are working your AVR very hard at all with those Klipsch's.
However, if you are buying an amp we will try to help you make sure it is a good value/choice.

One thing to consider is where you are putting the amp.
The ATI/Monolith is 17-1/4" deep (includes the banana plug connections) once you attach banana plugs and a little space for the wires, that becomes about 18-1/2" deep.
The Gen 1 Emotiva was almost 21" deep by the time you added the connections, which could be a problem in many situations.
I would suspect their newer designs probably reduced that dimension, but I don't have a measurement on that.
Or a pair of Crown XLS1502s with a depth of 7.7" (plus cabling) :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, the (2 &) 3 channel amps use the single transformer, and the 5 (& 7) channel Monoliths add the second transformer. If you buy the 5 channel and use it as a 3 channel amp, you will have a very strong 3 channel amp! If you do this, use amps 1, 3, & 5; leaving 2 & 4 empty. This will spread out the heat and reduce concentrations (though this amp keeps it cool well ... unless you have some super power hungry speakers).

However, if you bought the 7 and used it as a 3 channel, you would still get the same benefit (but at a greater cost). It mostly depends on whether you think the extra channels might come in handy for future needs!
Wow, you've really perfected the heat dissipation plan!! I can think of one reason to get the 7 channel amp if it is not actually needed. That is to bi-amp the front left and right channel for stereo music enjoyment. That would only be of value potentially, if any, for large passively bi-ampable speakers that have the tweeters on it's own or the mids and tweeters together but has woofers that are big and extended down low to 20 Hz.

Here's the math:

2 channel, $999.9 ($499.95/Ch) - 400 kVA/Ch
3 channel, $1099.9 ($366.63/Ch) - 340.67 kVA/Ch
5 channel, $1299.9 ($259.98/Ch) - 512.5 kVA for the 2 ch group, 410 for the 3 ch group
7 channel, $1599.9 ($228.57/Ch) - 340.67 kVA for the 3 ch group, 310 for the 4 ch group

Based on transformer size, I would definitely go with the 5 channel version. Note that without seeing the schematics, the transformer/channel grouping above is just my educated guess. If you want to know for sure, email ATI, or may be Gene has the information.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Or a pair of Crown XLS1502s with a depth of 7.7" (plus cabling) :)
I don't think power is the concern especially since his system already sounds great. Hard to beat greatness. :D

But yeah, if power is the concern, I think the Crown XLS1502 (300W into 8 ohms, 525W into 4 ohms, 775W into 2 ohms, SNR > 103dB) may be the answer.

It comes out to $200/Ch for the 300W/525W/775W power.

I would absolutely use these amps in my own system.

I used to own the 1st Generation XLS 2500 amps and they sounded every bit as awesome as any $20,000 "audiophile" amps I've heard.

@PENG might chime in on his experience with his QSC Pro amp also. :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think power is the concern especially since his system already sounds great. Hard to beat greatness. :D

But yeah, if power is the concern, I think the Crown XLS1502 (300W into 8 ohms, 525W into 4 ohms, 775W into 2 ohms, SNR > 103dB) may be the answer.

I used to own the 1st Generation XLS 2500 amps and they sounded every bit as awesome as any $20,000 "audiophile" amps I've heard.

BTW, I just ordered a Crown XLS 1502 amp from Amazon to compare. :D
I have experience with just one QSC class AB proamp. It sounds just like my other amps, the only negative is the fan noise. On paper, it does have better THD specs than the Crown XLS series. I replaced the stock fan with a quieter one and reduce the voltage from 24 V to about 13 V and the fan noise was no longer an issue. @Verdinut seems to be very impressed with his higher end QSC Class D (edit: Verdinut corrected me, they are class AB/H, not D, I must be just thinking and meant to say switching power supply..) DCA series amp.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have experience with just one QSC class AB proamp. It sounds just like my other amps, the only negative is the fan noise. On paper, it does have better THD specs than the Crown XLS series. I replaced the stock fan with a quieter one and reduce the voltage from 24 V to about 13 V and the fan noise was no longer an issue. @Verdinut seems to be very impressed with his higher end QSC Class D DCA series amp.
@PENG

The QSC DCA Amp Series are only operating in Class AB, or Class H for the most powerful ones.

I've just sent you a PM with a link to an old post with the meat on a review of the DCA 1222.

Also, I've just posted a thread with photos in "Pros & Joes System Gallery".

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

BTW, I just ordered a Crown XLS 1502 amp from Amazon to compare. :D
I've just come across an old post with the meat of a review on the QSC DCA 1222 which I'm sure you will be interested in perusing at Post #317:

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/ati-at2000-amps.79274/page-16#post-885363

And these are my listening impressions on the 3 DCA 1222s that I'm using in my system. Contrarily to what Peng mentioned, these operate in Class AB.

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/qsc-dca-1222-digital-cinema-amplifier.107647/

Also, I've just posted a new thread with photos of my system on the Topic "Pros & Joes System Gallery"

Cheers,

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, you've really perfected the heat dissipation plan!! I can think of one reason to get the 7 channel amp if it is not actually needed. That is to bi-amp the front left and right channel for stereo music enjoyment. That would only be of value potentially, if any, for large passively bi-ampable speakers that have the tweeters on it's own or the mids and tweeters together but has woofers that are big and extended down low to 20 Hz.

Here's the math:

5 channel, $1299.9 ($259.98/Ch) - 512.5 kVA for the 2 ch group, 410 for the 3 ch group
7 channel, $1599.9 ($228.57/Ch) - 340.67 kVA for the 3 ch group, 310 for the 4 ch group

Based on transformer size, I would definitely go with the 5 channel version. Note that without seeing the schematics, the transformer/channel grouping above is just my educated guess. If you want to know for sure, email ATI, or may be Gene has the information.
I am sure you meant large "actively" bi-ampable speakers somewhat like the ones I have. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have experience with just one QSC class AB proamp. It sounds just like my other amps, the only negative is the fan noise. On paper, it does have better THD specs than the Crown XLS series.
You mean the THD Advertised Spec on the QSC is 0.01% vs 0.5% on the Crown?

I couldn't tell the difference back then.

But then again, we are just talking about advertised specs here, not actual 3rd party measurements, right?

So who's to say what the actual THD measurements are? :D

Has any 3rd party measured any of these pro amps to see what the actual measurements look like? :D

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The probability is that pretty much every amp mentioned here will almost certainly meet and exceed the needs of the OP.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

Here's the math:

The dollar per channel really sells the Monolith 5 channel over the 3... :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am sure you meant large "actively" bi-ampable speakers somewhat like the ones I have. :D
I actually did mean passive, not active. Active would require external crossovers as you know, a different ball game altogether.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis