SVS vs Emotiva, 4ohm vs 8 ohm, Recevier vs Amp???

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My vote is for the SVS's

And Ohms have nothing to do with Sound Quality. Cabinet Design, Drivers have more impact on Sound Quality
It depends. If the impedance curve of a loudspeaker dips below 4 ohms at frequencies below 500 Hz, most AVR amplifiers won't be able to handle it. It will definitely affect the sound quality and the receiver might go into protection mode to protect it from overheating if it's well designed. In such situation, external amplification is necessary.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
It depends. If the impedance curve of a loudspeaker dips below 4 ohms at frequencies below 500 Hz, most AVR amplifiers won't be able to handle it. It will definitely affect the sound quality and the receiver might go into protection mode to protect it from overheating if it's well designed. In such situation, external amplification is necessary.
Right but that's the Power Source not the Speaker.

If you listened to two really good speakers w/ proper amplification side by side one 4ohm, one 8ohm. You wouldn't say WOW that 4ohm speaker sounds amazing compared to that 8ohm.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Right but that's the Power Source not the Speaker.

If you listened to two really good speakers w/ proper amplification side by side one 4ohm, one 8ohm. You wouldn't say WOW that 4ohm speaker sounds amazing compared to that 8ohm.
If the amplifier and the speaker don't make a good match, sound quality will definitely be affected. Each component has its limits.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
If the amplifier and the speaker don't make a good match, sound quality will definitely be affected. Each component has its limits.
So end result is I'll need to get an external amp no matter how you look at it. Especially if I go SVS or Emotiva.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
So end result is I'll need to get an external amp no matter how you look at it. Especially if I go SVS or Emotiva.
Yes, it would be wise to do so. That would relieve some stressing on the AVR's power supply and prolong its life. Also, there should be adequate aeration around the receiver and on top. If you find that the top of the receiver gets a little hot, you could get these AC Infinity fans to install on top to keep it cooler:

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Your thoughts on the Outlaw Audio amp model 7000X? Might buy this first, then the AVR, then speakers, last would be subs.

That amp is 130 watts all 7 channels driven at 8 ohms and 200 watts at 4 ohms according to their website. Price is right at $979! It should be good enough to push them SVS primes or even the pinnacles, right? Judging by my room size would bookshelf's work or should I stick with towers? Also how could I mount them SVS elevations to a vaulted ceiling assuming I stick with SVS. Still haven't heard anyone's recommendations on other brand speakers in my price range either...

I know tons of random questions sorry...

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Your thoughts on the Outlaw Audio amp model 7000X? Might buy this first, then the AVR, then speakers, last would be subs.

That amp is 130 watts all 7 channels driven at 8 ohms and 200 watts at 4 ohms according to their website. Price is right at $979! It should be good enough to push them SVS primes or even the pinnacles, right?

Still haven't heard anyone's recommendations on other brand speakers in my price range either...
JMO but I like this Amp to drive your Mains. Your AVR can drive your Surrounds

Or these

Pretty hard to beat the Sound Quality and Performance of the SVS speakers at their price.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

That amp is 130 watts all 7 channels driven at 8 ohms and 200 watts at 4 ohms according to their website. Price is right at $979! It should be good enough to push them SVS primes or even the pinnacles, right? Judging by my room size would bookshelf's work or should I stick with towers? Also how could I mount them SVS elevations to a vaulted ceiling assuming I stick with SVS. Still haven't heard anyone's recommendations on other brand speakers in my price range either...

I know tons of random questions sorry...
I think you need to get your speakers and sub sorted first. Depending on what you end up with for speakers an amp may or may not be necessary. I know a decent receiver has no problem driving any of SVS' Ultra line of speakers. Verdinut is suggesting an amp based on the Prime towers impedance measurements. I think your amp money will go a lot further if you put it into higher quality easier to drive speakers. I still think an avr can handle the Prime towers too, fwiw.

I think you need to shift your focus and put the bulk of your budget into speakers and subs, then worry about an amp. You may not even need one at all!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As long as the avr has a full set of pre-outs, try the avr alone first then you have options for amplification if needed.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis