Emotiva LMC-1 PreAmp-Processor

P

palmharbor

Junior Audioholic
October 27, 2007
re: Emotiva LMC-1 purchase
I recd. the LMC-1 yesterday and I have spent in excess
of 12 hours in setting it up.
I would liken it to editing a 2 hour digital video in D.O.S.
The manual is poorly written and says to select this and select that but does not tell you how to select it. Most of the setup
in counter-intuitive. I called Friday to the mfg to get some help
only to be told that person had gone home for the day.
Its not unusual for product manuals to be poorly written but I think it is long overdue for an improvement.
The unit was working for a while and it sounded good but
then the bass disappeared. I will be spending sunday
trying to set it up too...I can see it.
Wouldn't a DVD be nice to show the customer how to set up his product or does that make too much sense?:confused:
Before I bought it I read on this site that it was "user friendly"
hey, I like jokes like anyone but this joke is on the buyer

Last edited:
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
October 27, 2007
re: Emotiva LMC-1 purchase
I recd. the LMC-1 yesterday and I have spent in excess
of 12 hours in setting it up.
I have the same unit and it took me no more than 12 minutes to set it up. I found the LMC-1 one of the easiest units to setup using the OSD. There isn't much to "setup" as the LMC-1 is a basic, no-frills preamp. Perhaps you received a defective unit in which case just let Emotiva know and they'll take care of it.

Last edited:
P

palmharbor

Junior Audioholic
Well?

Gee, do you make house calls? I have had high fidelity components since I built my first KnightKit in 1962 but
this LMC-1 is difficult at best for me. I changed all the speaker settings to "small" but there still is no bass from the two
subwoofers I have.
I am not sure how to select DolbyProLogic II.
and more.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Questions for you regarding not getting any bass from your subwoofers:

1. Did you set the "Woofer" setting to "Yes" in the "Speaker Set" screen (page 29 of the owners manual)?

2. Are your subwoofers powered?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I am not sure how to select DolbyProLogic II.
Do you have rear speakers set up? If not, then you won't be able to select that sound mode.

Also, it appears from page 23 of the owners manual that Dolby Pro Logic IIx shows up on the "Mode Select" screen as "Pro Logic 2X".

P

palmharbor

Junior Audioholic
I have the rear hooked up as well as side surround Dynaudio.
the menu on the remote is a "crazy maker" I have not figured out how to access the big-small etc. The readout says small,
when you use up arrows or down arrows you expect to get
another selection but I get N/A both up and down.
Both my subs are powered taking the output "sw" with a Y to feed each sub. They are not working yet.
Its counter intuitive and that is the issue.:mad:

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Make sure your crossovers are set properly. Also, be sure you didn't plug into the analog inputs on the back of the LMC-1. These inputs bypass the bass management so you won't get bass out of the subs.

P

palmharbor

Junior Audioholic
I have to program sources that have analog outputs.....a SuperBeta VCR and a JVC S-VHS/Digital Hybred. I have them
connected to Aux 1. Does this mean no bass when using these
products? I have a suspicion that I was sent the old unit despite my reminding them twice not to but to send the new upgraded unit and selctions that seem to be in the manual are not seen when I use the remote.

P

palmharbor

Junior Audioholic
Update

I called tech support today and got my problems solved.
The person was:
1) very knowledgable
2) very patient
3) the best tech support I have ever experienced.
I cannot imagine buying a $1500 Sony Receiver and getting this kind or any kind of tech support. This is part of what you buy when you buy a complicated system and this company
deserves praise.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Now for the good stuff... How does everything sound?

P

palmharbor

Junior Audioholic
How does it sound?

I am impressed. I watch the old series Combat! at night and it is in black and white with mono sound and the sound quality has improved and the subs work much, much better than with my old
Sony Dolby Digital processor.The remote control could use some improvement as the volume control is much too small and it sould be back lit as it is impossible to see without turning on the lights.
All in all I am pleased...so far.

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

The person was:
1) very knowledgable
2) very patient
I cannot imagine buying a $1500 Sony Receiver and getting this kind or any kind of tech support. This is part of what you buy when you buy a complicated system and this company
deserves praise.
Good Job palnharbor! Dan and Lonnie are REALLY working hard right now to get out the new product line. I'm just a customer but I fly their flag in my signature because I'm a PROUD owner.

P

palmharbor

Junior Audioholic
a better job

This industry needs to do the kind of job Emotiva does in customer support but few do as most companies just
replace the product....its the cheapest way to deal with issues.
HDMI has been problematic from the beginning yet it is
an essential part of High Definition Video.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
I'm curious as to what the problem was in the beginning?

P

palmharbor

Junior Audioholic
The problem was the poorly written owners manual, the unintuitive programming with the remote.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
Ok. So the hardware is good it is just a learning curve based on the manual. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks

bigbangtheory

Audioholic
The person was:
1) very knowledgable
2) very patient
deserves praise.
I have heard the same about Emotiva customer service from others here. Good to know, as I will be part of the Emotiva family once the funds for the amp are in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis