j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats on the new EV :).

My Volvo C40 has a 75 kWh battery. The dealer recommended I set it's limits to run from 20% to 90%. What size battery do you have, and what limits have you set?

I've also had good experiences with Electrify America, but I use it only while on the road. It took me a number of recharges before I figured out just what it did and did not do. I also have a Level 2 charger (220V and 50A) at home. I use that when ever I need it. All those free chargers you have at work are great – enjoy that!

Battery charging over time is not linear; it's an S-shaped curve. The first few kWh are charged much more quickly than the last few. It can take as long to fast-charge a battery from 80 to 100% as it can from 10 to 80%. At commercial chargers open to the public, it is considered standard courtesy to stop charging your car when you reach 80 or 90% … unless nobody is waiting.
Ioniq 5 is a 77.5 kWh battery. I intend to turn this one in for a '25 when they come out because it will have an 84 kWh battery as well as some other worthwhile (to me) updates. I could not wait until Sept-Oct when they say they expect to receive them though, so I leased this one and will turn it in maybe in Jan. Since this is a lease, we won't be installing a charger at home for now, but I have Chargepoint chargers in the community and they have high availability.

Yeah, we have a lot of chargers at work, but they are also a bit of a hike lol. They put them on the top of the garage, presumably so that if there is a fire, it doesn't block access to people getting out.

Last night, there were 6 or 7 Hyundais all charging at that spot :D They all must be less than 2yrs and are all getting their free charges in.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Well, color me impressed. There is a fast charger on my way home from work. 2 yrs free charging is included via Electrify America, so figured I would try it out. It works :cool: I went from 50% to 80% in about 5 min. It is only 30 minutes free per session, but the car fully charges in ~18 min from 10%, so free :)

Earlier today I could not figure out why my car wouldn't charge. Tried multiple chargers and same thing. Then found out they had defaulted the charge level to just 60%...uh yeah. Nowhere does it mention that.
60% is low but 80% might be ideal to give a longer life to your car battery. That is the percentage limit recommended by some experts for PC lithium batteries. But how many EV owners limit the charge to 80%?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
But how many EV owners limit the charge to 80%?
*raises hand

;)

I started at 90%, but somewhere was told to adjust to 80. Also to top off daily and not let the battery run down. Obviously, topping off daily requires a home charger, or at work... But having the home charger also allows for getting an EV Rate Plan with the local Power Dealer / Monopoly / Co. which is advantageous. Our rates definitely came down with a Smart Meter and Time Of Use plan along with the slightly more friendly rate per kwhr.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There is a lot of "advice" as to charge level in the e-moto world. Generally seems many prefer 80% if only using now and then, then full charge just before use. Long term storage maybe 40-60% range, and not in too cold of temperature (generally not recommended for below 10C long term). If in constant/daily usage then just full charge in between use seems the way to go. At least for the typical batteries so far in the e-moto universe at this time :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I will have to RTFM to see what Hyundai recommends. I have only gone through the features book, to see what everything does. It only tells you where things are and what they do, and does not mention charging protocol.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Every EV in Canada probably would require a heat pump, suffer lower range, slower charging times. EVs aren't the right thing everywhere.
It's a challenge in some areas, especially many of the areas policed by the RCMP. That said, southern regions of Canada are little different than the northern states, climate-wise. While I don't know anyone with an EV, I see plenty on the roads in my area. I have no idea how well they function for them.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting article in yesterday's WSJ on the rail industry and the directions they are taking. Bio-diesel and Hydrogen seem to make the most sense given current technology

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis