j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Congrats on the new EV :).

My Volvo C40 has a 75 kWh battery. The dealer recommended I set it's limits to run from 20% to 90%. What size battery do you have, and what limits have you set?

I've also had good experiences with Electrify America, but I use it only while on the road. It took me a number of recharges before I figured out just what it did and did not do. I also have a Level 2 charger (220V and 50A) at home. I use that when ever I need it. All those free chargers you have at work are great – enjoy that!

Battery charging over time is not linear; it's an S-shaped curve. The first few kWh are charged much more quickly than the last few. It can take as long to fast-charge a battery from 80 to 100% as it can from 10 to 80%. At commercial chargers open to the public, it is considered standard courtesy to stop charging your car when you reach 80 or 90% … unless nobody is waiting.
Ioniq 5 is a 77.5 kWh battery. I intend to turn this one in for a '25 when they come out because it will have an 84 kWh battery as well as some other worthwhile (to me) updates. I could not wait until Sept-Oct when they say they expect to receive them though, so I leased this one and will turn it in maybe in Jan. Since this is a lease, we won't be installing a charger at home for now, but I have Chargepoint chargers in the community and they have high availability.

Yeah, we have a lot of chargers at work, but they are also a bit of a hike lol. They put them on the top of the garage, presumably so that if there is a fire, it doesn't block access to people getting out.

Last night, there were 6 or 7 Hyundais all charging at that spot :D They all must be less than 2yrs and are all getting their free charges in.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Well, color me impressed. There is a fast charger on my way home from work. 2 yrs free charging is included via Electrify America, so figured I would try it out. It works :cool: I went from 50% to 80% in about 5 min. It is only 30 minutes free per session, but the car fully charges in ~18 min from 10%, so free :)

Earlier today I could not figure out why my car wouldn't charge. Tried multiple chargers and same thing. Then found out they had defaulted the charge level to just 60%...uh yeah. Nowhere does it mention that.
60% is low but 80% might be ideal to give a longer life to your car battery. That is the percentage limit recommended by some experts for PC lithium batteries. But how many EV owners limit the charge to 80%?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
But how many EV owners limit the charge to 80%?
*raises hand

;)

I started at 90%, but somewhere was told to adjust to 80. Also to top off daily and not let the battery run down. Obviously, topping off daily requires a home charger, or at work... But having the home charger also allows for getting an EV Rate Plan with the local Power Dealer / Monopoly / Co. which is advantageous. Our rates definitely came down with a Smart Meter and Time Of Use plan along with the slightly more friendly rate per kwhr.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There is a lot of "advice" as to charge level in the e-moto world. Generally seems many prefer 80% if only using now and then, then full charge just before use. Long term storage maybe 40-60% range, and not in too cold of temperature (generally not recommended for below 10C long term). If in constant/daily usage then just full charge in between use seems the way to go. At least for the typical batteries so far in the e-moto universe at this time :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I will have to RTFM to see what Hyundai recommends. I have only gone through the features book, to see what everything does. It only tells you where things are and what they do, and does not mention charging protocol.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Every EV in Canada probably would require a heat pump, suffer lower range, slower charging times. EVs aren't the right thing everywhere.
It's a challenge in some areas, especially many of the areas policed by the RCMP. That said, southern regions of Canada are little different than the northern states, climate-wise. While I don't know anyone with an EV, I see plenty on the roads in my area. I have no idea how well they function for them.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting article in yesterday's WSJ on the rail industry and the directions they are taking. Bio-diesel and Hydrogen seem to make the most sense given current technology

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I expect to see this a lot. Not because people don't want EVs, but because these new car manufacturers never seem to stick around. When the majority of established auto makers really start to push them, we'll start seeing real adoption.

I do think some of the new brands will stick around, but competing with the likes of Ford and VW isn't going to be easy.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Is this the same Fisker that started making luxury hybrids in the mid teens? Most famously, an all chrome model owned by Bieber? Iirc, the Fisker Karma?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not taking Musk's side on this, but let's face it... the man had a vision and largely delivered on it. Many details are still amiss, but consider:

Tesla (started in 2003) and Musk (joined in 2004) started with a high end roadster in the luxury market.. something like $99-120K from 2008-2012?
The angle was by starting at the high end and stripping things down to become more affordable, it was easier than trying to add features and details.
The Model S and X followed arguably still luxury vehicles, and then these were followed by the Model 3 and Y which were supposed to be more affordable.
Real world shenanigans of course saw these vehicles still holding a more expensive ticket.
Speculation is strong that the purported Model 2 will hit the market at $25K.

Add to this a robust charging network across the country.

Aside from Musk's personality and politics, Tesla has shown pretty ridiculous success thus far.

Now, what have all the other actual electric startups delivered? ;)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's a challenge in some areas, especially many of the areas policed by the RCMP. That said, southern regions of Canada are little different than the northern states, climate-wise. While I don't know anyone with an EV, I see plenty on the roads in my area. I have no idea how well they function for them.
I also see a lot of Tesla EVs in Montreal. I guess most of the owners have a charger at home. At present, public charging stations are scarce in our area.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This is the SECOND time Fisker went bankrupt. The issue has nothing to do with EV sales and everything to do with a grossly, poorly managed company. Too bad really, because they make pretty good cars.

The original Tesla Roadster was built on a Lotus Elise chassis. They used it as sort of a Guinea pig to do the development of the motors and integrations and that's what got them started. They also had a joint venture with Toyota, where Toyota used their motors in RAV4s to see how they liked developing EVs, but then they stopped and went with Hybrids and hydrogen instead.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not taking Musk's side on this, but let's face it... the man had a vision and largely delivered on it. Many details are still amiss, but consider:

Tesla (started in 2003) and Musk (joined in 2004) started with a high end roadster in the luxury market.. something like $99-120K from 2008-2012?
The angle was by starting at the high end and stripping things down to become more affordable, it was easier than trying to add features and details.
The Model S and X followed arguably still luxury vehicles, and then these were followed by the Model 3 and Y which were supposed to be more affordable.
Real world shenanigans of course saw these vehicles still holding a more expensive ticket.
Speculation is strong that the purported Model 2 will hit the market at $25K.

Add to this a robust charging network across the country.

Aside from Musk's personality and politics, Tesla has shown pretty ridiculous success thus far.

Now, what have all the other actual electric startups delivered? ;)
It seems like Tesla is actively trying to undo all their success with the Cyber Truck. That thing is such a POS it's hilarious that anyone bought one. I see them all the time being so close to the factory and none of them are the same color. It's weird.

I personally don't like the way Tesla operates. Some of their decisions around repairs are the main reason I'd never own one. That and them being able to remotely disable features is a no go.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It seems like Tesla is actively trying to undo all their success with the Cyber Truck. That thing is such a POS it's hilarious that anyone bought one. I see them all the time being so close to the factory and none of them are the same color. It's weird.

I personally don't like the way Tesla operates. Some of their decisions around repairs are the main reason I'd never own one. That and them being able to remotely disable features is a no go.
As an owner, I'm happy with my Y. I have a good friend with a 6yr old 3 and he is still very happy with his experience...
That said, I totally get what you are saying and agree. That's the part that is seemingly all Musk, unfortunately. This includes the Cybertruck.

There was an article a while back that showed some of the other Truck concepts they had on the drawing board. Some of them were outstanding!

*shrugs

This is why they say you should never operate your business by your emotions!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So, in practical terms using 70°F/21°C and on mostly level surfaces at 45 MPH, what range would be about average for an EV?

If someone has good links, that's fine, too.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Again ............ to my way of thinking given the current infrastructure, unless one has proper home charging, EV's make little sense. Will I own one in my driving lifetime, maybe ............

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis