haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The federal or state governments that make these decisions about standards don't do it in a vacuum. More often than not, big corporations, whose money has major clout among the elected politicians, play a large role in this process. I'm talking about auto manufacturers (US, Asian, & European), Big Oil (all are large international companies), as well as Big Silicon (Apple, Google, etc.). I'm not surprised that this intense lobbying ends up with different results in the USA or the EU.
Yep, money talks o_O

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Hmmm, why do US insist on so often seemingly doing standards different from the rest of the world? :rolleyes:
Or is it EU that is fu#&%d up?
Well, be glad most are on the metric system. :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Audiophile Salesmen aren't in the same league as Car Salesmen (new or used, makes no difference). The only time I got that treatment in an audio shop, I was too old & wise for that. (I think it was about the benefits of bi-wiring speakers.) I leaned in close and whispered to the guy, "If you're already drinking, why haven't you offered me any?" Any car salesman worth his commission would have half a dozen ready answers for a diversion like that. But the surprised audio salesman was momentarily speechless. I headed for the door before he could speak up.

White Van guys, try to appeal to the inner-thief in a customer. Their sales pitch usually goes something like … 'I normally couldn't sell dese speakers so cheap … 'cept I found dem beauties after dey fell off a truck'. Not everyone falls for that, especially suckers for high-priced audiophile gear. I may have my weaknesses, but I'm not part of either of those demographic groups.

But mobile phone and car salesmen have earned my fear, loathing, and respect.
Hmmmm.... it happened more than once that I go to an audio shop and understand that I know way more about their products than the guy trying to sell them..... WTF :eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I'm not familiar with all the charging specs, but I think the older USB (A?) connectors will/may be limited in current. If I understand it correctly, the same applies to the charging brick/wall wart.
I know my watch needs a specific cable and charger to allow fast charge, for example, and most other chargers will charge much slower than the Watch can handle.
At this point, my reference to chatter, above, is just that: it's chatter; speculation. To the best of my knowledge no such attempt has been implemented.
I would hope Apple does not get so petty as to do this.

I too have many USB-C ports in the Model Y as well as one 12v socket and a dual charging pad for phones.

Those wacky Euros.
:p

Ultimately, I would agree that a universal system be in place. Can't say I understand the ins and out (if any) of the different connectors, but I will say the Tesla connector is small and sleek in comparison to some I've seen.
*shrugs
Most of these changes likely won't be in play for several years... so until then may the curse of adapters plague us all. :confused:
Are those charging ports the rectangular shape or the new small ones with radial ends?
USBs may also be rated for data transfer speeds as well.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Well, be glad most are on the metric system. :D
Why don´t we count distance in light years? like how far to drive New York to Orlando?
or maybe Ligtmilliseconds.... or AU, or Parsec

As far as I can see........
Driving from New York to Orlando is the distance of 5.7 Lightmilliseconds :rolleyes:
Driving from New York to Orlando is the distance of 0.00001157 Astronomical Unit
Driving from New York to Orlando is the distance of 0.000000000182966844 Lightyears
Driving from New York to Orlando is the distance of 0.000000000056124799 Parsec

Just thinking which unit to use on the navigator?
Somehow I have trouble on the navigator to set it to use lightyears or parsec as the distance unit o_O
And neither Google maps nor Apple maps support AU, Lightmilliseconds, lightyears or Parsec :mad:

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I did spend a lot more time at the phone store (AT&T) than I wanted. So, I sort of felt imprisoned for a good 2 hours.

I had to go home to get a copy of my discharge papers from the Navy (form DD214N) to prove I was eligible for a 25% veteran's discount. It wasn't 25% off on the total, but only applied to some poorly defined part of my new phone contract. It ended up being worth $35, but I had to increase my plan to a higher data level just to get it. So at best it was a wash, and more likely a net loss.

Why does visiting the phone store make me wish I had two very big, ugly, and menacing dudes in poorly fitting dark suits with me (like Tony Soprano always had with him)? Plus a lawyer or two!
I went to the local Apple store recently to get an iPad for my wife's birthday. I told the salesperson it was a gift for my wife and I already knew which model and colour to get, so the transaction was as quick as I could make it.

The salesperson tried to find me a discount and went through his list of eligible categories. "Veteran" was not on it. :rolleyes:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I went to the local Apple store recently to get an iPad for my wife's birthday. I told the salesperson it was a gift for my wife and I already knew which model and colour to get, so the transaction was as quick as I could make it.

The salesperson tried to find me a discount and went through his list of eligible categories. "Veteran" was not on it. :rolleyes:
:mad:. Nice Gift though :cool:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord

I got that discount from an AT&T Mobile phone store. They sell various different mobile phones and mobile phone service plans. The phone I got is an Apple product, but I think the discount applied to any mobile phone or plan they sell.

It's also possible that the veteran's discount was linked to Memorial Day, a US holiday commemorating US war losses. Does Canada also observe Memorial Day, the last Monday of May? I'd be surprised if Canada does that. More likely you follow British traditions for holidays.

highfigh

highfigh

I did spend a lot more time at the phone store (AT&T) than I wanted. So, I sort of felt imprisoned for a good 2 hours.

I had to go home to get a copy of my discharge papers from the Navy (form DD214N) to prove I was eligible for a 25% veteran's discount. It wasn't 25% off on the total, but only applied to some poorly defined part of my new phone contract. It ended up being worth $35, but I had to increase my plan to a higher data level just to get it. So at best it was a wash, and more likely a net loss.

Why does visiting the phone store make me wish I had two very big, ugly, and menacing dudes in poorly fitting dark suits with me (like Tony Soprano always had with him)? Plus a lawyer or two!
ATT is the biggest time suck I have ever experienced. With one exception, every call to them for support took an hour and the time it was over in ten minutes, I had to wonder, "What happened?".

Their crowning achievement happened after I found that someone had used my credit card info to buy something on the ATT website, then they went to the store to pick it up. The rocket surgeons at the store didn't bother to ask for any ID, either. When I asked the manager about the transaction number in my banking app, he confirmed that it occurred at his store but when I asked to see the video of the transaction, he said he couldn't let me, out of privacy concerns for the customer. I not so politely informed him that I WAS THE CUSTOMER!, the other was the thief. I was told that I needed to file a report with the local PD and they needed to subpoena the video which either never happened or ATT refused to provide it.

I left ATT soon after and eventually contacted the office of the President or CEO. I got a response in only a few hours, but they didn't do anything to help.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I got that discount from an AT&T Mobile phone store. They sell various different mobile phones and mobile phone service plans. The phone I got is an Apple product, but I think the discount applied to any mobile phone or plan they sell.

It's also possible that the veteran's discount was linked to Memorial Day, a US holiday commemorating US war losses. Does Canada also observe Memorial Day, the last Monday of May? I'd be surprised if Canada does that. More likely you follow British traditions for holidays.
Our Memorial day is called Remembrance Day on November 11th, 11:00am. It was originally Armistice Day commemorating the end of WW1.

highfigh

highfigh

Audiophile Salesmen aren't in the same league as Car Salesmen (new or used, makes no difference). The only time I got that treatment in an audio shop, I was too old & wise for that. (I think it was about the benefits of bi-wiring speakers.) I leaned in close and whispered to the guy, "If you're already drinking, why haven't you offered me any?" Any car salesman worth his commission would have half a dozen ready answers for a diversion like that. But the surprised audio salesman was momentarily speechless. I headed for the door before he could speak up.

White Van guys, try to appeal to the inner-thief in a customer. Their sales pitch usually goes something like … 'I normally couldn't sell dese speakers so cheap … 'cept I found dem beauties after dey fell off a truck'. Not everyone falls for that, especially suckers for high-priced audiophile gear. I may have my weaknesses, but I'm not part of either of those demographic groups.

But mobile phone and car salesmen have earned my fear, loathing, and respect.
I ran the car audio installation department for a WI-based company that sold white goods, furniture, AV, car audio and small electronics (Walkmans, cameras, phones, computers & accessories, etc). I drove a car that had been finished to the front parking lot and as I walked back toward the front entrance, two guys in a white van approached, one got out and he gave me the spiel about leftover speakers, they couldn't go back with them and "Hey, what the boss doesn't know won't hurt him, right?". I was wearing a shirt with the company logo.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Are those charging ports the rectangular shape or the new small ones with radial ends?
I had to look this up, as I the only thing I know about USB is how to spell it. I've had my hands only on USB-A and USB-C plugs or sockets.
1685541469008.png

highfigh

highfigh

Hmmm, why do US insist on so often seemingly doing standards different from the rest of the world? :rolleyes:
Or is it EU that is fu#&%d up?
You're referring to the resistance of the US to adopt the Metric System? Ignorance and resistance to change.

OTOH, US-built cars have used Metric fasteners for a long time.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Our Memorial day is called Remembrance Day on November 11th, 11:00am. It was originally Armistice Day commemorating the end of WW1.
Thanks, now I remember. Nov 11th is when everyone in England wears those imitation poppies.

In the USA, Nov 11th is for all veterans – Memorial Day is for dead veterans. (I guess I should be glad the mobile phone guy didn't ask for both my discharge papers and my death certificate.)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I had to look this up, as I the only thing I know about USB is how to spell it. I've had my hands only on USB-A and USB-C plugs or sockets.
View attachment 62173
That's missing USB-mini. USB-B is often used on computer printers and it is common on DACs as well. Mini-A was common on early digital cameras (my Canon EOS has one). Mini-B and Micro-A are uncommon. Mini-A and Micro-B are trapezoidal so you see the orientation better.
OnLogic-USB-Blog-graphic.jpg

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
ATT is the biggest time suck I have ever experienced. With one exception, every call to them for support took an hour and the time it was over in ten minutes, I had to wonder, "What happened?".

Their crowning achievement happened after I found that someone had used my credit card info to buy something on the ATT website, then they went to the store to pick it up. The rocket surgeons at the store didn't bother to ask for any ID, either. When I asked the manager about the transaction number in my banking app, he confirmed that it occurred at his store but when I asked to see the video of the transaction, he said he couldn't let me, out of privacy concerns for the customer. I not so politely informed him that I WAS THE CUSTOMER!, the other was the thief. I was told that I needed to file a report with the local PD and they needed to subpoena the video which either never happened or ATT refused to provide it.

I left ATT soon after and eventually contacted the office of the President or CEO. I got a response in only a few hours, but they didn't do anything to help.
FWIW, most of the time I spent in the store was waiting for them to transfer all the data from my old phone to the new one.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, now I remember. Nov 11th is when everyone in England wears those imitation poppies.

In the USA, Nov 11th is for all veterans – Memorial Day is for dead veterans. (I guess I should be glad the mobile phone guy didn't ask for both my discharge papers and my death certificate.)
Poppies are a common symbol in Canada as well. The local legions put out collection boxes with them every year. I end up with dozens of them. :) The local Freemasons hold a grave side memorial service on the last Sunday in May and each Mason's lodge holds a private memorial service once a year as well.

Hockey legend Don Cherry got fired for complaining that "you people" don't wear poppies on Remembrance Day. He never said who "you people" referred to but past comments implied that he was referring to immigrants, so it didn't go over well. He has always been a strong supporter of veterans.

I don't know of any veteran discounts in Canada. I'll have to ask a buddy in the military about that. Canadians don't quite honour veterans the same way Americans do, like how you often honour them at sporting events, but we did spontaneously create the Highway of Heroes in Ontario for Afghan casualties.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm convinced that the phone store sales-folk are taught to be vague & incomprehensible. It can't be an accident that all of them make car salesmen seem honest & reliable.
They are. I worked for support at T-Mobile and the store salesmen were the worst people.

I had one lady ask me "why would the salesperson lie?" I asked her "you mean the person that makes money selling you a device tied to a line of service and a contract?" She got quiet.

Those people in the stores don't care what they have to say to get a sale, and they are 100% trained to do it.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

As far as I'm aware, there is no "Veterans Day", as such, in any Commonwealth country - certainly not in Canada or the UK. Remembrance Day is specifically dedicated to our war dead. Still, every November 11th, much of the talk I hear is about "veterans", which grates on me - call me pedantic. Poppies are generally associated with Commonwealth countries, especially the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

There are other commemoration days unique to specific locales - ANZAC Day, which is marked by Australia and New Zealand, is (I believe) dedicated to all who served - veterans and the dead. In the province of Newfoundland and Labrador (where I grew up), July 1st is not only "Canada Day" (our July 4th), but a day of mourning. On July 1st, 1916, the Royal Newfoundland Regiment was practically wiped out (90% casualties) on the first day of the Battle of the Somme at Beaumont-Hamel.

Anyway, apologies for the thread derailment.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Poppies are a common symbol in Canada as well. The local legions put out collection boxes with them every year. I end up with dozens of them. :) The local Freemasons hold a grave side memorial service on the last Sunday in May and each Mason's lodge holds a private memorial service once a year as well.

Hockey legend Don Cherry got fired for complaining that "you people" don't wear poppies on Remembrance Day. He never said who "you people" referred to but past comments implied that he was referring to immigrants, so it didn't go over well. He has always been a strong supporter of veterans.

I don't know of any veteran discounts in Canada. I'll have to ask a buddy in the military about that. Canadians don't quite honour veterans the same way Americans do, like how you often honour them at sporting events, but we did spontaneously create the Highway of Heroes in Ontario for Afghan casualties.
There are discounts, but fewer, farther between and generally less generous than one would find in the US. About 25 years ago, when I was still in the Navy, my submarine was on a port visit in NYC. A buddy and I went to the local USO to see if we could get tickets to a Broadway show. The lady we spoke with said, I can get you tickets for Miss Saigon, if you like, to which we said, "Sure!" Then, in an apologetic tone, she said, "But, I'm afraid that due to our increasing expenses, they're no longer free." The tickets cost us a dollar each. You won't find a military/veteran discount like that in Canada.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis