GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
And that's with a Tesla! I've seen quite a lot more Tesla Supercharger stations on the road than any station I could use.

FWIW, Ford and Tesla recently announced a deal where Ford EVs will be able to recharge at Tesla Superchargers.

If Tesla can do this with Ford, it can do this with any EV with J1772/CCS type receptacles. It's probably only a matter of money.
I think we will see in the not-so-distant future, that charging connections will be standardized for all brands. It's like Apple and their stupid lightning connectors right now.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I think we will see in the not-so-distant future, that charging connections will be standardized for all brands. It's like Apple and their stupid lightning connectors right now.
I think so too. As for the Apple Lightning connectors they where pressured by EU to change to USB-C.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think so too. As for the Apple Lightning connectors they where pressured by EU to change to USB-C.
Of course, the chatter is that Apple may install some identification software or hardware that will limit usability of third-party accessories by not allowing fast-charge or some such.
:rolleyes:

On the otherhand, I think the move by Tesla to partner with Ford is a great move. Tesla already has enough market share to make an excellent case for their charging hardware to become a universal standard. It didn't prevent them from including an adapter which would allow me to charge on non-Tesla equipment, but simplifying the protocol would be a boon for all.

(Sorta as if HDMI actually worked! :p )

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Of course, the chatter is that Apple may install some identification software or hardware that will limit usability of third-party accessories by not allowing fast-charge or some such. :rolleyes:
Last week, I replaced my 4-year-old iPhone 8 with a new standard pocket sized 14. It came with a USB-C to lightning charging cable. I checked right away to find out if the new phone could also recharge with the older USB-A (Edit: I corrected USB-B to USB-A.) to lightning connection. It does – so I can use all my old charging stuff.

FWIW, my new Volvo EV (built in Belgium to EU standards) came with 4 USB-C charging sockets, plus 2 other 12V sockets, and 1 wireless phone charger. I already got two USB-C to lightning charging cables to keep in the car.
On the otherhand, I think the move by Tesla to partner with Ford is a great move. Tesla already has enough market share to make an excellent case for their charging hardware to become a universal standard. It didn't prevent them from including an adapter which would allow me to charge on non-Tesla equipment, but simplifying the protocol would be a boon for all.
The EU has already insisted that Tesla change both it's charging sockets on Tesla cars & the plugs on the Tesla Superchargers to the EU standard J1772/CCS type. Tesla had to agree if they wanted to sell EVs in Europe. If they can do it in Europe, they can do the same in the USA & Canada. It shouldn't come down to Tesla making individual deals with different EV makers.

The future does look like there will be a universal charging plug & socket, and it will probably be the standard SAE J1772/CCS, not Tesla's proprietary plugs & sockets.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Last week, I replaced my 4-year-old iPhone 8 with a new standard pocket sized 14. It came with a USB-C to lightening charging cable. I checked right away to find out if the new phone could also recharge with the older USB-B to lightening connection. It does – so I can use all my old charging stuff.

FWIW, my new Volvo EV (built in Belgium to EU standards) came with 4 USB-C charging sockets, plus 2 other 12V sockets, and 1 wireless phone charger. I already got two USB-C to lightening charging cables to keep in the car.
I'm not familiar with all the charging specs, but I think the older USB (A?) connectors will/may be limited in current. If I understand it correctly, the same applies to the charging brick/wall wart.
I know my watch needs a specific cable and charger to allow fast charge, for example, and most other chargers will charge much slower than the Watch can handle.
At this point, my reference to chatter, above, is just that: it's chatter; speculation. To the best of my knowledge no such attempt has been implemented.
I would hope Apple does not get so petty as to do this.

I too have many USB-C ports in the Model Y as well as one 12v socket and a dual charging pad for phones.

The EU has already insisted that Tesla change both it's charging sockets on Tesla cars & the plugs on the Tesla Superchargers to the EU standard J1772/CCS type. Tesla had to agree if they wanted to sell EVs in Europe. If they can do it in Europe, they can do the same in the USA & Canada. It shouldn't come down to Tesla making individual deals with different EV makers.

The future does look like there will be a universal charging plug & socket, and it will probably be the standard SAE J1772/CCS, not Tesla's proprietary plugs & sockets.
Those wacky Euros.
:p

Ultimately, I would agree that a universal system be in place. Can't say I understand the ins and out (if any) of the different connectors, but I will say the Tesla connector is small and sleek in comparison to some I've seen.
*shrugs
Most of these changes likely won't be in play for several years... so until then may the curse of adapters plague us all. :confused:

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
FWIW, my new Volvo EV (built in Belgium to EU standards) came with 4 USB-C charging sockets, plus 2 other 12V sockets, and 1 wireless phone charger.
I really doubt that a car built in the EU for the American market would be built to EU standards.
The market (in this case the US) dictates the build standards due to type approval or homologation or whatever you want to call it. I work in the IT department of a car manufacturer.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I really doubt that a car built in the EU for the American market would be built to EU standards.
The market (in this case the US) dictates the build standards due to type approval or homologation or whatever you want to call it. I work in the IT department of a car manufacturer.
Hmmm, why do US insist on so often seemingly doing standards different from the rest of the world? :rolleyes:
Or is it EU that is fu#&%d up?

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Hmmm, why do US insist on so often seemingly doing standards different from the rest of the world? :rolleyes:
Every region is different so I would assume that the 3 NAFTA countries have their own standards.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Complete lack of standardization across countries?
Different standards across regions; the EU has a set of vehicle standards and I assume NAFTA has another set. Some of the standards may be the same, others may be different.
Emission is an example of this. I am referring to vehicles in general and not specifically EV's.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If you release Richard unharmed we won't go to the police. :D
I did spend a lot more time at the phone store (AT&T) than I wanted. So, I sort of felt imprisoned for a good 2 hours.

I had to go home to get a copy of my discharge papers from the Navy (form DD214N) to prove I was eligible for a 25% veteran's discount. It wasn't 25% off on the total, but only applied to some poorly defined part of my new phone contract. It ended up being worth $35, but I had to increase my plan to a higher data level just to get it. So at best it was a wash, and more likely a net loss.

Why does visiting the phone store make me wish I had two very big, ugly, and menacing dudes in poorly fitting dark suits with me (like Tony Soprano always had with him)? Plus a lawyer or two!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I did spend a lot more time at the phone store (AT&T) than I wanted. So, I sort of felt imprisoned for a good 2 hours.

I had to go home to get a copy of my discharge papers from the Navy (form DD214N) to prove I was eligible for a 25% veteran's discount. It wasn't 25% off on the total, but only applied to some poorly defined part of my new phone contract. It ended up being worth $35, but I had to increase my plan to a higher data level just to get it. So at best it was a wash, and more likely a net loss.

Why does visiting the phone store make me wish I had two very big, ugly, and menacing dudes in poorly fitting dark suits with me (like Tony Soprano always had with him)? Plus a lawyer or two!
Phone stores are the worst. I avoid them as they are usually staffed with the least educated sales-folk possible. Not to mention, they can't even really explain the service, much less the equipment. :rolleyes:

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The federal or state governments that make these decisions about standards don't do it in a vacuum. More often than not, big corporations, whose money has major clout among the elected politicians, play a large role in this process. I'm talking about auto manufacturers (US, Asian, & European), Big Oil (all are large international companies), as well as Big Silicon (Apple, Google, etc.). I'm not surprised that this intense lobbying ends up with different results in the USA or the EU.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Phone stores are the worst. I avoid them as they are usually staffed with the least educated sales-folk possible. Not to mention, they can't even really explain the service, much less the equipment. :rolleyes:
I'm convinced that the phone store sales-folk are taught to be vague & incomprehensible. It can't be an accident that all of them make car salesmen seem honest & reliable.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'm convinced that the phone store sales-folk are taught to be vague & incomprehensible. It can't be an accident that all of them make car salesmen seem honest & reliable.
Even when compared to used car salesmen?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Or Audiophile Sales? Perhaps they even make that guy in the White Van look good? :p
Audiophile Salesmen aren't in the same league as Car Salesmen (new or used, makes no difference). The only time I got that treatment in an audio shop, I was too old & wise for that. (I think it was about the benefits of bi-wiring speakers.) I leaned in close and whispered to the guy, "If you're already drinking, why haven't you offered me any?" Any car salesman worth his commission would have half a dozen ready answers for a diversion like that. But the surprised audio salesman was momentarily speechless. I headed for the door before he could speak up.

White Van guys, try to appeal to the inner-thief in a customer. Their sales pitch usually goes something like … 'I normally couldn't sell dese speakers so cheap … 'cept I found dem beauties after dey fell off a truck'. Not everyone falls for that, especially suckers for high-priced audiophile gear. I may have my weaknesses, but I'm not part of either of those demographic groups.

But mobile phone and car salesmen have earned my fear, loathing, and respect.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis