panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I don’t even own a car and use public transportation. :)
It'd be great if we had that where I live, but driving is the only option for a LOT of cities in the US. They were designed that way.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Telsa droped their prices significantly on all models across the board

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Telsa droped their prices significantly on all models across the board
My friend bought one in Dec. They just calculated the difference and just 2 weeks later, he would have saved just under $12k. The significant sudden price drops seem like a really bad indicator to me. Not like they are going to go out of business or anything lol, but it shows some weakness for sure. They've already done 2 rounds of layoffs.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Delivery times are increasing and backlog of orders are down are the known signs, but not sure if there is something else. Who knows with Musk. Dropping prices that quickly, like twice in the span of 5 weeks, really pissed a lot of people off. And this article was before the second price cut lol

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Does anybody know why?
Jan 13 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) has slashed prices globally on its electric vehicles by as much as 20%, extending an aggressive discounting effort and challenging rivals after missing Wall Street delivery estimates for 2022.

The move marks a reversal from the automaker's strategy over the last two years when new vehicle orders exceeded supply. It comes after CEO Elon Musk warned that the prospect of recession and higher interest rates meant it could lower prices to sustain growth at the expense of profit.

The man ( Musk) pretty much doesn what he wants.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I think the piece you are missing is the fact relating to Federal Tax Credits which cars need to be 55k and under to qualify for the full $7500 Tax credit (if you meet the income and other criteria) They made it so the Model 3 Performance now meets that requrement, which they hope they will make up in volume.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Does anybody know why?
The standard auto companies have begun to claw away EV market share from Tesla.

Tesla reduced the price of its baseline Model Y SUV to $52,990, a 20% reduction. It also dropped the cost of an upper-tier version of its Model 3 sedan to $53,990, a 14% price cut. As a result, both of those models now can qualify for tax incentives under the Inflation Reduction Act.

This law requires that the cost of new EVs does not exceed $80,000 for vans, SUVs and pickup trucks, or $55,000 for sedans. Because Tesla had significantly raised prices earlier in 2022, those two models were priced too high to be eligible for the $7,500 tax rebate. So Elon Musk slashed prices.

But I have to ask why prices were raised last spring?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The standard auto companies have begun to claw away EV market share from Tesla.

Tesla reduced the price of its baseline Model Y SUV to $52,990, a 20% reduction. It also dropped the cost of an upper-tier version of its Model 3 sedan to $53,990, a 14% price cut. As a result, both of those models now can qualify for tax incentives under the Inflation Reduction Act.

This law requires that the cost of new EVs does not exceed $80,000 for vans, SUVs and pickup trucks, or $55,000 for sedans. Because Tesla had significantly raised prices earlier in 2022, those two models were priced too high to be eligible for the $7,500 tax rebate. So Elon Musk slashed prices.

But I have to ask why prices were raised last spring?
Like every other car vendor, chip shortages...or supply and demand. lol

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
worth a chuckle ........

Of course it’s the Republicans that wants to ban EV. Sniffing gasoline and lead has taken its toll.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Anyone willing to explain?
EV Positives? EV Negatives?
EV Pros
  • You never have to buy more gasoline!
  • You never will burn gasoline!
  • You can charge up at home, even at night.
  • EVs require much less maintenance than ICE cars. There is now 10-year data from EV fleet cars, that maintenance costs for EVs are significantly less.
  • If you buy an EV that qualifies and your annual income is low enough (under $150k?), you can get $7,500 in tax cuts/rebates.
  • Tesla used to dominate the EV market. Now there is greater competition for the EV market. Not all EV manufacturers are owned by Elon Musk.
  • EVs, with more potent computers on board, are smart. Are the drivers smarter?
EV Cons
  • EVs cost a lot more than gasoline cars. Not all EVs are presently eligible for the $7,500 tax rebate.
  • Equipping your home with a charger will cost more than just the ~$600-700 price of a Level 2 charger. Installing a 240V 50A electric power line may, or may not, cost plenty more. There are programs in various states to defray some of this cost. In addition, I had to extend my WiFi to reach my garage, just so my smart phone can talk to my smart car & the smart charger.
  • EVs have shorter range than gasoline cars. Road trips away from home must be planned better than with an ICE car. You must unlearn old habits & learn new expectations. Fortunately, EVs are smart enough to make this planning easier than people believe before they run into this problem first hand.
  • If you run out of juice (or break down), it seems all EVs require a flatbed tow truck. (Is this true for all EVs, or is it only true for AWD EVs?) They cannot be towed if one end is hoisted while the other two wheels roll freely. (I expect towing companies will soon learn to ask callers in advance about this.)
  • EV batteries will have less range in cold weather. Heat pumps to heat the cabin help.
  • EVs are heavier than equivalent ICE cars. Those batteries are heavy. Fortunately that weight is low in the body, so EVs are not top heavy.
  • Because of the weight, EV tires are larger and will cost more to replace.
  • Elon Musk owns Tesla.
  • EV technology (hardware & software) is still evolving. How much better or cheaper will they be in the next few years? Is it worth waiting, or buying now? You must compare that to the certain promise of higher gasoline prices in the future.
  • EVs with more potent computers on board are smart. It remains to be seen whether the drivers smarter.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Tesla is now experiencing what Commodore experience with the Amiga. They had a machine that was 7 years ahead and everyone caught up.

Hyundai with their 800v E-GMP architecture should be worrying a lot of automakers.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
EV Pros
  • EVs require much less maintenance than ICE cars
  • If you buy an EV that qualifies and your annual income is low enough (under $150k?), you can get $7,500 in tax cuts/rebates.
EV Cons
  • EVs cost a lot more than gasoline cars. Not all EVs are presently eligible for the $7,500 tax rebate.
  • Equipping your home with a charger will cost more than just the ~$6-700 price of a Level 2 charger. Installing a 240V 50A electric power line may or may not cost plenty more. There are programs in various states to defray some of this cost. In addition, I had to extend my WiFi to reach my garage, just so my smart phone can talk to my smart car & the smart charger.
  • EVs have shorter range than gasoline cars. Road trips away from home must be planned better than with an ICE car, and you must unlearn old habits & learn new expectations. Fortunately, EVs are smart enough to make this planning easier than people believe before they run into this problem first hand.
  • EV batteries will have less range in cold weather. Heat pumps to heat the cabin help.
  • EVs are heavier than equivalent ICE cars. The batteries are heavy. Fortunately that weight is low in the body, so EVs are not top heavy.
  • EV technology (hardware & software) is still evolving. How much better or cheaper will they be in the next few years? Is it worth waiting, or buying now? You must compare that to the certain promise of higher gasoline prices in the future.
  • EVs with more potent computers on board are smart. It remains to be seen whether the drivers smarter.
I don't know where you live, but how much have energy bills increased in your area? In the Milwaukee area, the cost jumped drastically in the last few months and WE Energies is absolutely unapologetic. In fact, I watched a video with a WE Energies official and he was smiling- I have a feeling that's gonna leave a mark.

WRT future gasoline prices, do you think this will be driven by supply & demand, or governments shoving their/global agendas down peoples' throats, just to fit the narrative that all fossil fuels are bad and ignoring the facts about Methane & water vapor being worse greenhouse gases than CO2?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
WRT future gasoline prices, do you think this will be driven by supply & demand, or governments shoving their/global agendas down peoples' throats, just to fit the narrative that all fossil fuels are bad and ignoring the facts about Methane & water vapor being worse greenhouse gases than CO2?
When was this supply & demand of gasoline prices independent of government agenda?

It never was.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
EV Pros
  • EVs require much less maintenance than ICE cars. There is now 10-year data from EV fleet cars, that maintenance costs for EVs are significantly less.
  • Tesla used to dominate the EV market. Now there is greater competition for the EV market. Not all EV manufacturers are owned by Elon Musk.
EV Cons
  • Equipping your home with a charger will cost more than just the ~$6-700 price of a Level 2 charger. Installing a 240V 50A electric power line may or may not cost plenty more. There are programs in various states to defray some of this cost. In addition, I had to extend my WiFi to reach my garage, just so my smart phone can talk to my smart car & the smart charger.
  • EVs have shorter range than gasoline cars. Road trips away from home must be planned better than with an ICE car, and you must unlearn old habits & learn new expectations. Fortunately, EVs are smart enough to make this planning easier than people believe before they run into this problem first hand.
  • EVs are heavier than equivalent ICE cars. The batteries are heavy. Fortunately that weight is low in the body, so EVs are not top heavy.
  • Elon Musk owns Tesla.
Another CON, I found out about when we had ours, if you break down, don't expect a local tow company to understand you need a flatbed tow truck. "When it comes to towing an electric car, a flatbed tow truck is your best option. Flatbed trucks have no wheel movement which means any potential hazards are eliminated. All-electric car manufacturers recommend that electric vehicles should only be moved on a flatbed truck as this avoids potential damage ,or from which I found out later, hooking the car up with the front wheels in the air and the rear wheels on a dolly . "

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis