Eddie Van Halen passes

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Whoa I can’t believe it. First I see this. I know he was battling an alcohol problem for a long time. Man what a great loss. Him and SRV were guitar gods in the 70-80’s. I also had a crush on Bertinelli. I was hoping for a Van Halen reunion album with Roth. RIHP.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I'm glad I was able to see Eddie Van Halen live. I was right in front of him while he performed his guitar solo and sat on stage. He couldn't have been more then 5' from me. RIP

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I just read that on the internet! Dam! RIP Bro!
Panama!!!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Last edited:
Billy106

Billy106

Audioholic Intern
Very sadden by this news...the 1st tune that came to mind form Eddie V's famous cords was "You really got me" even Ray Davies of the kinks said he made that song come to life and much better than the original.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Audioholic
Saw him twice at Gazzarri's on Sunset Strip before they were famous. Went back a second time because nobody played like that back then. Also, they covered some cool songs I was into that were not all the ones on the radio.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Some artists have a style that is instantly recognizable. Eddie Van Halen's guitar playing had a sound that was just so. He played with equal amounts finesse and ferocity. It was like he was casting rock spells with that damn thing. MTV's popularity in the early 80's owes much to Van Halen. Michael Jackson's popularity benefited as well. It was Eddie's guitar driving "Beat It." As kids, we would leave the TV tuned to MTV all day in the summer and always stopped to watch any time the "Jump", "Panama" or "Hot for Teacher" videos came on. I envy anyone who saw him play live. When you speak of the "all time greats" of any art form, there is always a shortlist that most accept without much argument. When it comes to the all time great guitar players, Eddie Van Halen always was and always will be on that list. RIP

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I saw Van Halen open for Black Sabbath in 1978.

OMG. You knew they were going to be big.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
The local rock station played Van Halen all day in tribute. Can see I need to improve my VH collection.
Read that Eddie once said the problem with David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar was LSD. "Lead Singer Disease". :)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Saw him twice at Gazzarri's on Sunset Strip before they were famous. Went back a second time because nobody played like that back then. Also, they covered some cool songs I was into that were not all the ones on the radio.
One story I read today about Gazzarri was at first he said "you guys play too LOUD' :)

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Good interview with him
I listened to that while cooking dinner. Great interview and lot I didn't know about him. Sadly, his alcoholism took a toll and he didn't get sober till later in life. Phenomenal musician and excellent song writer.

Hard to put into words the impression "Hot For Teacher" from the 1984 album made on this pre-teen. Then I saw the video on MTV and that REALLY was impressionable. I still have my 1984 vinyl.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis