Earthquake Sound Subwoofers

O

omar90

Enthusiast
Hi All

I am looking to add one or two Earthquake Sound subwoofers to my HT setup. I am currently using the subwoofers on the Def Tech BP9060.

Based on local availability, I have tried the Minime p12 (12 inch) and the mkvii 15 (15 inch). I need suggestions if I will need two 12 inch subs or a 15 inch sub.

For guidance, my room measures 4m x 4m (13.12 ft x 13.12 ft) and the room is enclosed with a single entry door which remains closed, when I am watching a movie or listening to music. In addition, I have flexibility to place the sub(s) in the front of the room as well as at the back.

KRs

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't get either. There are no measurements or third party information on Earthquake subs, so how good are they really? And almost $4k for a sub with a 600-watt amplifier? Skip them! There are proven good subwoofer manufacturers, so you don't have to take a chance on something for which no hard data exists.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Earthquake can't even be bothered by actual specs (and what they do offer look overstated but could be down 10dB or more, who knows) or any measurements isn't a good sign. Plus the prices seen high for what they are. I have heard the brand mentioned very little, particularly in sub oriented fora/threads.....just much better choices out there....altho that could depend where you live.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Are these the subs in question?
EF80D172-9CC6-4F52-AC05-F4E9A568C5E8.jpeg

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm, honestly never heard of them before today.

O

omar90

Enthusiast
I actually was interested with SVS, but the dealer told me that they have an issue with their sledge amps so its better to go for another subwoofer. In Kuwait, it is difficult to get hold of stuff like rythmik or hsu so we are left with very limited options. Thank for the feedback though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems the SVS Sledge amp problem was quite a few years ago IIRC. Can you get XTZ or BK Elec subs there? Or what other sub brands do you have access to?

(But between the vague info on Earthquake and the leading status of SVS, I'd have no problem choosing the SVS brand over the Earthquake....)

O

omar90

Enthusiast
Seems the SVS Sledge amp problem was quite a few years ago IIRC. Can you get XTZ or BK Elec subs there? Or what other sub brands do you have access to?

(But between the vague info on Earthquake and the leading status of SVS, I'd have no problem choosing the SVS brand over the Earthquake....)
In Kuwait, the choices are very limited. Apart from these two they have Definitive Technology (their plate amps infamous for all reasons of burning out), Paradigm they know how to make a decent speaker but in the subwoofer sphere their subs are average, B&W its just too costly and they have also got amp issues based on my discussions with a few technicians. Other than that they have Polk, Klipsch and KEF which I have tried but don't like them as they are very boomy and in the chest bass. Any other brands that you can recommend I can search for them or see if I can get them shipped from around the GCC region.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
In Kuwait, the choices are very limited. Apart from these two they have Definitive Technology (their plate amps infamous for all reasons of burning out), Paradigm they know how to make a decent speaker but in the subwoofer sphere their subs are average, B&W its just too costly and they have also got amp issues based on my discussions with a few technicians. Other than that they have Polk, Klipsch and KEF which I have tried but don't like them as they are very boomy and in the chest bass. Any other brands that you can recommend I can search for them or see if I can get them shipped from around the GCC region.
Paradigm has some good subs in the Defiance X series. Look to see if you can get a Defiance X12 or Defiance X15.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What SVS models does your dealer carry?

DefTec also have exaggerated low frequency spec and just generally aren't worth buying IMO (but here in US have been known to replace parts for free even after warranty, altho that may do you no good). Shadyj, our sub reviewer, mentions the Paradigm subs he's experienced, I'd take his advice seriously. B&W I wouldn't bother with for subs generally. Polk, Klipsch & Kef....meh, maybe one or two Kef models but don't really keep track of them. Not a fan of Rel but if priced right for the right model might be okay.

Most of what I can think of will be more limited to US. Rythmik might ship overseas, altho it may be limited to diy kits? It's been a while, check their website (rythmikaudio.com). Is that a possibility for you, diy or having someone build a cabinet for you?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't heard of any issues with SVS amps. At least not in quite a long time. I'd pick them over Earthquake in any case. Which SVS subs are you looking at?

O

omar90

Enthusiast
I haven't heard of any issues with SVS amps. At least not in quite a long time. I'd pick them over Earthquake in any case. Which SVS subs are you looking at?
I was looking at SVS PB2000 as that was something I liked initially, but was put off when the technicians told me that the sledge amps are a problem.

Given my room size and also the fact that I have the Def Techs BP9060 Towers, would 2 subwoofers be overkill for the room?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I was looking at SVS PB2000 as that was something I liked initially, but was put off when the technicians told me that the sledge amps are a problem.

Given my room size and also the fact that I have the Def Techs BP9060 Towers, would 2 subwoofers be overkill for the room?
Oh boy, now you are gonna hear from the HT vets that there is no such thing as sub overkill. Seriously though yeah dual subs is always the way to go. I'm working on going dual soon, very soon.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

O

omar90

Enthusiast
Oh boy, now you are gonna hear from the HT vets that there is no such thing as sub overkill. Seriously though yeah dual subs is always the way to go. I'm working on going dual soon, very soon.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
If I have my way - I would put 4 subs in the room. But, unfortunately due to budget constraints it becomes difficult. Also, the fact that the 4 subs would ensure that I get kicked out of my flat.

No but seriously irrespective of which subs one puts in there has to be an optimal number for of subwoofers based on room dimensions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Four should do it in most rooms. :) PB2000 is a good sub. Is it the older version or the newer Pro version?

ps Ask them what amps the Earthquake subs use....

O

omar90

Enthusiast
Four should do it in most rooms. :) PB2000 is a good sub. Is it the older version or the newer Pro version?

ps Ask them what amps the Earthquake subs use....
Its the older version for SVS

Earthquake subs use Class D for the Minime P12s and use Class J for the MKVII 15''.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Its the older version for SVS

Earthquake subs use Class D for the Minime P12s and use Class J for the MKVII 15''.
That's not even as specific as the SVS amps, think they're trying to blow smoke up your ass. Class of amp has little to do with it. I meant who made the amps for Earthquake....

O

omar90

Enthusiast
That's not even as specific as the SVS amps, think they're trying to blow smoke up your ass. Class of amp has little to do with it. I meant who made the amps for Earthquake....
Based on lengthy research couldn't find who makes their amps. But the link to the amplifier is enclosed:

Maybe you can see this detail if I am missing something. Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So the dealer doesn't know that much about the Earthquake unit either? I like how the 600 watt amp becomes only 365 watts at a typical sub's 4 ohm (and only 500 watts at 2 ohm so it does 600 at 1 ohm or something?). The amp could well be the best part of the Earthquake sub, but I have not noticed anything about Earthquake amps any more than their subs. I like how they make it seem like a 0/180 polarity switch is unusual (it's very common on a sub's plate amp)....altho their phase delay adjustment might be interesting. Like shadyJ says, be nice if there were some third party testing to go on....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis