Dune (2020) from Villeneuve

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The books are the gold, not the video attempts so far....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The movie has been out for limited screening. There's a lot of reviews on it and so far they all say it was awesome. Really hopeful for this one

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The books are the gold, not the video attempts so far....
Yes, but once I read the books, any movie will probably pale in comparison. That's why I'll wait to read them. Just like I don't read The Expanse books before I watch a season.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I guess I will wait for Part 2 to come out, since Part One is incomplete. If Part 2 is determined not to be complete, then, what's the point. I am not into SOAPS. lol Give me complete movie episodes, you know what I mean?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I will wait for Part 2 to come out, since Part One is incomplete. If Part 2 is determined not to be complete, then, what's the point. I am not into SOAPS. lol Give me complete movie episodes, you know what I mean?
The only problem is the story is epic and really deserves at least a part 2 or part 3 type of setup to properly pull it off.

Like the way Lord Of the Rings did it

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, but once I read the books, any movie will probably pale in comparison. That's why I'll wait to read them. Just like I don't read The Expanse books before I watch a season.
The Expanse series in video did follow the books close enough if memory serves me. They did a good job on that series.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The only problem is the story is epic and really deserves at least a part 2 or part 3 type of setup to properly pull it off.

Like the way Lord Of the Rings did it
The awesome thing is that Dune will get two movies. It is also getting a mini-series on HBO. DV is also directing that mini-series. There is going to be a lot of Dune these next few years.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The Expanse series in video did follow the books close enough if memory serves me. They did a good job on that series.
Oh they did a very good job, but it was still different enough that both mediums stand on their own. Both are some of my favorite sci-fi ever.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
As a hardcore Azimov fan, I am very much disappointed by the highly-anticipated Foundation series. The showrunner's decision to change the format to be about characters (vs. events based) goes against the core principle of Azimov's idea of the psychohistory concept. If this wasn't enough, he decided to "remix" events/characters/genders (the last one is the least of my concerns). The previous two episodes were clearly building up for the first Foundation Crisis, but since this is a remix, nothing makes sense, and no one behaves anywhere near the books. In short, I am in a firmly low opinion of the show and highly doubt that showrunners could make it a better version of the story (at this point, it resembles the book so little that might as well call some new names, inspired by Foundation books.

Last night, I was lucky to watch Villeneuve's 2021 Dune Part 1. I am floored by how closely the movie follows the book; some modifications were necessary to bring a broader audience to this complex story, but the spirit remains down to some very fine details.
How well Paul puts on his stillsuit the first time

TL;DR: 2021 Dune Part 1 is visual eye candy, and you owe it yourself watch on the big screen (Not necessarily in movie theaters, covid is still a concern) but at least on the largest screen you have at home, move closer to it as possible.

9/10 from me. This is THE best Dune adaption to the big screen so far.

p.s: If you find the 1984 Movie was waaay too weird for you, here is an excellent fan edit you might like to rewatch until you get your hands on the 2021 movie. It is three hours long but much more approachable than the original release. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As a hardcore Azimov fan, I am very much disappointed by the highly-anticipated Foundation series. The showrunner's decision to change the format to be both characters (vs. events based) goes against the core principle of Azimov's idea of the psychohistory concept. If this wasn't enough, he decided to "remix" events/characters/genders (last of my most minor concerns). The previous two episodes were clearly building up for the first Foundation Crisis, but since this is a remix, nothing makes sense, and no one behaves anywhere near the books. In short, I am in a firmly low opinion of the show and highly doubt that showrunners could make it a better version of the story (at this point, it resembles the book so little that might as well call some new names, inspired by Foundation books.

Last night, I was lucky to watch Villeneuve's 2021 Dune Part 1. I am floored by how closely the movie follows the book; some modifications were necessary to bring a broader audience to this complex story, but the spirit remains down to some very fine details.
How well Paul puts on his stillsuit the first time

TL;DR: 2021 Dune Part 1 is visual eye candy, and you owe it yourself watch on the big screen (Not necessarily in movie theaters, covid is still a concern) but at least on the largest screen you have at home, move closer to it as possible.

9/10 from me. This is THE best Dune adaption to the big screen so far.

p.s: If you find the 1984 Movie was waaay to weird for you, here is a very solid fan edit you might like to rewatch until you get your hands on the 2021 movie.

I'm liking the Foundation series but its been years since I've read the books (but pulled out my Foundation Trilogy book to see how far the deviation has been, but was warned up front they had done things with characters/genders and different development of the general story....but somewhat made sense as the scope of the book as I remember was vast, and to represent in a series or film could be difficult (and expensive). I did read the opening page and the description of Hari Seldon's father as a tobacco farmer (but by legend) made me chuckle. Robyn Asimov (daughter) is a producer, maybe she was key in some of the changes?

Got tickets for the local opening of Dune Thursday night, looking forward to that.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would also say that the Dune Part 1 2021 is the best Dune I’ve seen. Probably not fair to compare this Dune to Star Wars for SciFi, but I couldn’t help it. It makes Star Wars look like a boring children’s book.

As for the Foundation TV series, I am loving this series a lot.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would also say that the Dune Part 1 2021 is the best Dune I’ve seen. Probably not fair to compare this Dune to Star Wars for SciFi, but I couldn’t help it. It makes Star Wars look like a boring children’s book.

As for the Foundation TV series, I am loving this series a lot.
Star Wars firmly belongs in the juvenile category of sci-fi. A crowd pleaser none the less, but the crowd has never "gotten" better sci-fi for the most part either.

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
I can't get more excited for this, I tried not to be as I am generally pessimistic about big book adaptations.

But now after seeing other responses I may have to find a babysitter and get to my local imax for it..

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm excited for it, and I've never even read the books. I will eventually, but I'd like to try to enjoy the movies first.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I might just have to get out my original ripped DUNE copy, I made way back when. lol

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My order for the original 4K release which was due last week still hasn't come. Darn supply chain and delivery issues.

Going to try to go see this one in the theater next weekend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis