Duel PB1000'S or a single PSA XV15?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow! This is a head trip! Lol I figured a bigger driver and amp would have the upper hand? I'm so dumb to this. :D
A lack of experience at how to look at specs would be a better descriptor. Dumb just sounds way to harsh and far from the truth. The real trick is to interpret specs and see how well they match your hearing as we all hear differently. For me, I want my sub's response to be as flat as possible across the pass band. This flat response will make it much easier to dial it into one's room's acoustics as well as fitting in with your speakers. Like speakers, I want a sub to have as flat as a frequency response as possible. I look at the PSA and know it will louder in the 40-50 Hz range and then drop off a little on either side. It will make it sound "lumpy" for a lack of a better descriptor. However, this "lump" sound may agree with you becuase maybe you like the extra loudness in that frequency range. Its not right or wrong, just personal preference. I should have qualified my previous post "For my tastes" or something similar. Based on the PSA graph, I would pick two SVS PB1000 over this or for slightly more, two Rthymik LV12R . I've decided on the Rythmik over the SVS.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
3db, that's what I've been trying to figure out all this time. I'm more of a clean, clear, and perfect sounding setup than one that can be heard 4 houses down the road. See my previous and only other HT system I have owned was a Bose lifestyle 12 system, I'm sure ill probably executed for this next statement, lol b ut I really liked it due to the fact that it was very clear a precise. I decided to go a different route this time because I didn't want to spend $3500 on a new one. I figured I could get a lot more bang for my buck piecing my own system together. So for I'm very happy minus the fact I don't have that deep bass at this point but hopefully that will be resolved soon. Thanks for helping me clarify that.:)

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Ok, question? I'm not sure how to ask this but here goes nothing;) ok in movies and music how many Hz down do most frequencies go? 20hz + or what? The reson I'm asking is I know some of these subs go down to 16hz can that even be heard? And if not what would be the purpose of having a sub that can do this? Sorry for my lack of knowledge just looking for answers I don't know. :confused:

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
A lack of experience at how to look at specs would be a better descriptor. Dumb just sounds way to harsh and far from the truth. The real trick is to interpret specs and see how well they match your hearing as we all hear differently. For me, I want my sub's response to be as flat as possible across the pass band. This flat response will make it much easier to dial it into one's room's acoustics as well as fitting in with your speakers. Like speakers, I want a sub to have as flat as a frequency response as possible. I look at the PSA and know it will louder in the 40-50 Hz range and then drop off a little on either side. It will make it sound "lumpy" for a lack of a better descriptor. However, this "lump" sound may agree with you becuase maybe you like the extra loudness in that frequency range. Its not right or wrong, just personal preference. I should have qualified my previous post "For my tastes" or something similar. Based on the PSA graph, I would pick two SVS PB1000 over this or for slightly more, two Rthymik LV12R . I've decided on the Rythmik over the SVS.

Ok, I was looking at the charts for the PSA and SVS PB-12NSD there's really not that much different in the two according to what I saw on the charts from data-bass.com on 2 of the charts the Svs did better than the PSA. The only places the PSA did better it seems is in db output on the other to charts. The Svs had a lower Hz rating and also a higher db rating on the low end and the PSA had a higher db mainly in the 50hz range. Hence the reson I'm asking about the Hz in content to help me figure out what that's all about.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hardly any music has content below 30 Hz, but there are some movies that have strong content below 20 Hz. Here is a list of films with strong deep bass content and graphs their frequency strength. It's pretty difficult to hear anything below 20 Hz, so you need a lot of SPL down there to make a difference. I don't think anything in your price range will bring audibility to sub 20 Hz content. Still, it can be a neat trick to play a 16 Hz tone and hear the doors and windows rattle without actually hearing the note itself. The PSA will have stronger deep bass and also deeper bass, but the PB12 has cleaner deep bass.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
I'm still trying to understand the charts, I looked at those for the PB and PSA but I'm not 100% at what I'm getting by doing so. I think I do but not quite sure. I get the graphed measurement line on the sides and bottom, but those for the readings I'm not sure about.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hardly any music has content below 30 Hz, but there are some movies that have strong content below 20 Hz. Here is a list of films with strong deep bass content and graphs their frequency strength. It's pretty difficult to hear anything below 20 Hz, so you need a lot of SPL down there to make a difference. I don't think anything in your price range will bring audibility to sub 20 Hz content. Still, it can be a neat trick to play a 16 Hz tone and hear the doors and windows rattle without actually hearing the note itself. The PSA will have stronger deep bass and also deeper bass, but the PB12 has cleaner deep bass.
I can hardly wait to hear these movies again but through my new Rythmik LV12R . Its gonna be sweet.

H

hemingray

Enthusiast
I can hardly wait to hear these movies again but through my new Rythmik LV12R . Its gonna be sweet.
Ha - that's what I've been doing with my LV12R! What a difference having a real sub now!

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Ha - that's what I've been doing with my LV12R! What a difference having a real sub now!
I hope to be in your shoes within the next week or so :) I'm hoping to put my order in for a sub on friday! Problem is Im still not sure which sub I'm getting yet. LOL

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Well I finally bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on the PSA XV15! I can't wait for it to come in I'm anxious to get it hooked up and see what I've been missing for all this time. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I finally bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on the PSA XV15! I can't wait for it to come in I'm anxious to get it hooked up and see what I've been missing for all this time. :)
Congrats on your new sub. I saw you at a couple of more sites seeking the same info like me. I''m two weeks away from ordering the Rythmic LVR12. I can hardly wait to get my hands on it and integrate it into my system.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Congrats on your new sub. I saw you at a couple of more sites seeking the same info like me. I''m two weeks away from ordering the Rythmic LVR12. I can hardly wait to get my hands on it and integrate it into my system.
from what I've read those rythmics are very nice subs, if I could have afforded the 15" model I would have gone that route but they were out ny price range. I look forward to hearing your impression on it once you have it set up. ;)

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Congrats! Definitely post your impressions.
I definitely will do that, when ever I finally receive it. The woofers have been on back order for a little while now. I'm sure it will be worth the wait though. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis