Duel PB1000'S or a single PSA XV15?

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Ok this is my final two choices. Lol I may have said that before I'm not sure but I'm serious this time. I will buy one of these choices by July 12th. What are yall final thoughts and why? Which way should I go. Thanks again.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Oh one last thing, I'm not concerned with the price difference just performance. Thanks

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Based on your other thread, you seem like you want a ton of bass and aren't going to be doing super critical listening. Plus your space is huge. XV would win in my book between those two choices. Down the line you could always add another. In the grand scheme of things, getting one XV now, saving up and getting a second would blow away the PB1000's, in terms of output. At a cost of slightly higher distortion, but when you're head banging out to your metal, I doubt it'll mean much.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The PSA sub will probably have more total output than two co-located PB1000s. The PB1000s will probably have lower distortion. For not much more than the price of dual PB1000s, you can get a Hsu VTF15h, I think that would be better than both. If you can wait, one is being sent off to Josh Ricci, so are going to get a good set of data to compare to the XV15 directly.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
That's good to know I would definitely like to hear what he has to say about it first but I'm not really looking at waiting a long time anymore this lack of bass is driving me crazy. But once again I want to be satisfied with my decision in the end. And Fuzz u right I probably wouldn't notice the distortion because most metal is distorted anyway. Lol I'm just ready to get this show on the road and get some bass back in my life, and my heads starting to hurt from all this researching, reading and thinking! Three of my least favorite things to do.:)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
With respect to one big sub vs two lesser subs, a big question is going to be whether you want relatively smooth response over a wide area or not. With a single sub, I'm able to get reasonably flat response at the money seats where my wife and I typically sit without a lot of trouble, but a couple feet behind that...not so much.

As far as the subs themselves, I'd probably lean towards the Outlaw LFM-1 EX over the PSA XV15, and the Hsu VTF 3.4 is also currently on sale and likely offers similar performance to the Outlaw but with a few more features.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
With respect to one big sub vs two lesser subs, a big question is going to be whether you want relatively smooth response over a wide area or not. With a single sub, I'm able to get reasonably flat response at the money seats where my wife and I typically sit without a lot of trouble, but a couple feet behind that...not so much.
It looks like the OP is only going to be able to place any subs in one spot, so dual subs will have to be co-located. This being the case, dual subs will behave more like a single sub, so he won't get any room smoothing advantages.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
It looks like the OP is only going to be able to place any subs in one spot, so dual subs will have to be co-located. This being the case, dual subs will behave more like a single sub, so he won't get any room smoothing advantages.
In that case I'd expect a single LFM-1 EX would represent a better value versus a pair of PB1000s. Output capability should be fairly close, but obviously the Outlaw is less costly, and in max output mode shouldn't misbehave too badly (i.e. little or no chuffing) whereas it appears the PB1000s are prone to such misbehavior at the limits.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
So the outlaw would be a better sub to have vs the PSA XV15? My seating position is about 8' from were the sub will be placed and also if I were to get the outlaw are PSA XV15 they would have to be placed on there side under my entertainment center. I talked to Tom with PSA and he said that wouldn't affect the performance I would just have to face the woofer to the front aiming toward my seating area.

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So the outlaw would be a better sub to have vs the PSA XV15?
There's certainly some give and take between the two, but overall the output capabilities are pretty similar per Josh's measurements, and in native tune (both ports open for max output mode) the Outlaw does have a more linear response from 25Hz on up at the limits in CEA 2010 burst testing, and is a bit less costly (especially if it goes on sale or you can pick up B-stock). Of course, I'd expect either sub to provide a solid low end foundation to your system.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Ok, so let's see if I'm finally learning anything? Lol the only real difference between the 2 is that the outlaw drops off faster below 20hz correct?

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
But what does that mean as for as sound quality, or performance? I have no clue? Lol

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Ok, so let's see if I'm finally learning anything? Lol the only real difference between the 2 is that the outlaw drops off faster below 20hz correct?
That's the big difference, yes. The Outlaw is tuned to 22Hz with both ports open, and will roll off quickly below that point. Of course you can seal one port and extend the response, but you give up a little bit elsewhere.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
But what does that mean as for as sound quality, or performance? I have no clue? Lol
In terms of sound quality, either has the potential to sound quite good, but in the end it'll come down to your room, placement, integration with your other speakers, etc.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Ya I'm not sure how all that works yet, I have a Yamaha rx-575 receiver which has that auto setup deal that I used when I bought my speakers I'm assuming I would just have to rerun that once the sub is in place. The reason I was asking about the outlaw vs the PSA IS after shipping the PSA is only like $30 more and has a larger driver an amp. So I guess I assumed that was better. But once again I'm still trying to learn the proper way to analyze and make the right choices and you guys here are a huge help!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Since a picture is worth 1000 words:

The Outlaw is a real trooper !! I also find to be more linear than the XV-15 but I guess a receiver's room correction s/w should be able to correct that. Based on this graph, I would give up some of the real deep extenstion of the XV15 for the linearity of the Outlaw.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I also find to be more linear than the XV-15 but I guess a receiver's room correction s/w should be able to correct that.
Unfortunately room correction can't help because as you push the PSA to its limits, it's FR changes.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Unfortunately room correction can't help because as you push the PSA to its limits, it's FR changes.
Then the Outlaw is a better sub even though it won't play as deep as loudly as the PSA

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
Wow! This is a head trip! Lol I figured a bigger driver and amp would have the upper hand? I'm so dumb to this. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis