NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I know you are Partner! Maybe I came off to hard. But just a note I was around when Particleboard was invented, hell I use to Sniff the glue of particleboard and Wafer board. Till someone told me Formaldehyde was in the glue used. :D Sure Real wood is used in building speakers. Legacy uses real word Expensive. Salk uses Real wood, Dennis, wouldn't use any else but real wood Can't really say for sure after it Painted. Never owned any of those Pro guys speakers.
Correction, they use real wood veneers. I don't know about Legacy though.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You'd do well to check out some Paradigms too. The Premier 800F's will run you right around $2k for a pair, and another $1k if you want the big center. They were my runner's up to the Salks.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Since you, Stupided down to calling me a name of Your personal choice, you seem to be a a$$hat for Assuming in the first place. But carry on you'll fit right in with the "meatball" fold.
I'll play moderator, you're the one that fired back with the smart assed post (#24) and yes you did clearly demonstrate that you lacked some pretty common speaker manufacturing knowledge.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@Tachead7075 You see my postup @AcuDefTechGuy and @KEW, ADTG and KEW, Knows I'm messing around, polking in fun at them. It's a "Flame" post. But oh yeah they will get payback on me. :D I wouldn't expect any less from those two old timers and guess what? They are better at it than I am but not always. Them two will wait, and wait and wait some more when you least expect it Pow! Sneaky bastard.;)
Hey, I kind of resent that. Whom are you calling sneaky! :D

Well, it's interesting to see others opinions.

For example, you don't like horns or gold-looking drivers. :)

I like speakers with bi-ampable dual 10" or dual 12" woofers.

Some people prefer certain driver materials.

Some people are not as picky and they don't mind certain things as long as the SQ is good and the price is right.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@Swerd , I've Researched that line without knowing much about them or ever heard of them till Joining up on AH. As with Salks and Denises speaker Designs. To be honest Swerd, Tower's are where my hearts at Unfortunately my taste isn't inline with my Budget.
I'm not quite sure what your price range is. Of those 3 you first mentioned, retail prices were $3100 to $3600, but you may have seen lower prices than that for those speakers.

Among Salks in that price range, 2 floor standers come to mind. The SongTower, a Salk best seller for years. I had a pair from 2007 through 2016 when I replaced them with Salk Veracity STs. My son now has my SongTowers. You can see on that web page how many reviewers went goofy over them. I did too.

Starting around 2016 or 17, Salk started selling a new, less expensive (for Salk) 3-way speaker that has been a big seller too, the Song3. NINaudio just got his the other day. I'd guess they are good competition for those MA speakers you're interested in.

Rumor has it that there might be a new & revised version of the SongTower. A certain un-named speaker designer has told me it will have two SB Acoustic 5½" Ceramic (anodized aluminum) woofers and an Aurum Cantus AMT tweeter. I couldn't find a link for the tweeter, but both of those drivers are the same as in this Philharmonic Audio 2-way. See pictures here. This designer says they sound great and produce deeper bass than the present SongTowers. Again, this is only a might be. Jim Salk will make the final decision if he wants to make them, and what their price might be.

Those Monitor Audio Silvers might be good. It all comes down whether you like them, as well as price and availability. Like I said earlier, it's been years since I heard their speakers, and MA has revised their models a number of times since then.

Last edited:
eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Polk LSiM-705 = MSRP $3000
MA S500 = MSRP $3100
KEF R700 = MSRP $3600
Klipsch RF7-III MSRP $3600

For my money, I would get the RF7-III with 1.75" Titanium Compression Driver and Dual 10" Aluminum Woofers. And then Active Bi-amp those dual 10" Aluminum woofers with a subwoofer amp.

your price on the Polk is way off, I suspect the others the same?

MSRP is $750. Polk LSiM-705

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

No your price on the Polk is way off.
MSRP is $1499 each. Polk LSiM-705

They are on Sale for $750 but it's not the MSRP

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

With the big B&M brand companies, there is usually a difference between "MSRP" vs "Street Price" or "Sale Price". :D

With most Direct Internet companies, the MSRP, Street Price, and Sale price might be the same or very similar - for example, when the "SALE" price is the same every day. I mean if the price is exactly the SAME 365 days a year, then there is no difference between MSRP vs Sale or Street prices. I guess someone could say the "MSRP" is $10,000 and our "sale" price is $5,000 every single day. :D

But if the price is $1,500 on some days, most days, or everyday, and then $750 on some days, then we can see the difference between MSRP vs Sale price.

I think you already know about "Street" price.

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
There have been many Polk speaker models over the years, and I don't remember which ones I've heard. But I can remember that I was never impressed by any of what I did hear.
Early on Polk Audio put out some impressive speakers but then they lost their way.

I owned a pair of LS70's which I loved and owned for quite a while, from the late-90's till 2012. Still regret selling them, especially with today's AVR's and modern room correction capabilities.
polk-audio-ls-70-tower-speakers.jpg

Not the most handsome speaker but I loved it's ability to handle any kind of music, classical to rock n' roll, with ease. From a critical listening session by myself to a party of 50 folks or so.

Now I'm getting all weepy-eyed thinking about them. :p

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you looked at PSB Imagine series? PSB design their speakers with very flat frequency response including nice off axes response. They have good linearity and able to handle large dynamic swings really well.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
B&M brand
What is this?

Brick and Mortar?

The only brands that are not Brick and Mortar are the ones that can't get in because they have no name recognition. No brand wants to be solely internet direct... I hope you realize this. They sell direct... oh never mind.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Yes B&M = Brick & Mortar and Polk falls right into the department store division, of this category, right along side brands like Klipsch, Pioneer, & Bose.

I actually think there are plenty of brands that would never want to see any of their monitors on the showroom floor at BestBuy...

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The only brands that are not Brick and Mortar are the ones that can't get in because they have no name recognition. No brand wants to be solely internet direct.
Well, I didn't want to offend anyone by saying that Direct-Internet (DI) brands "can't get in" or "have no name recognition". I think you would get some heat for that. :D

My point is that with DI brands, you will NOT be getting discounts - the prices will be the same every day.

With Brick & Mortar brands, they will have MSRP prices, sale prices, and street prices.

What about quality? Do you get better quality for less money on DI brands? Or do DI brands have to pay a lot more money on parts because they don't sell as much volume as the bigger Brick & Mortar companies - economies of scale?

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Well, I didn't want to offend anyone by saying that Direct-Internet (DI) brands "can't get in" or "have no name recognition". I think you would get some heat for that. :D

My point is that with DI brands, you will NOT be getting discounts - the prices will be the same every day.

With Brick & Mortar brands, they will have MSRP prices, sale prices, and street prices.

What about quality? Do you get better quality for less money on DI brands? Or do DI brands have to pay a lot more money on parts because they don't sell as much volume as the bigger Brick & Mortar companies - economies of scale?
Internet direct companies enjoy the same margins that branded merchandise does. They need to because they have to become their own retailer.
People just don't get this.
Christ, Apple and Nike are internet direct FROM THEIR ONLOINE RETAIL STORES. Same with audio direct companies.

That whole you get a better deal is marketing BS just like the magic of wires.

Dopes want to believe in the miracles of wires, dopes want to believe they get a better deal on unbranded crap. What do I care about either? LOL It's fun to believe, God Bless them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis