Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
HT and Music
1,500 pair

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Are we supposed to guess what they are? I know put them in a Line-Up to identify them

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I think it would be good to write the names of the models, I don't think everyone will recognize them. I've heard Monitor Audio and I really liked them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Polk LSiM-705 = MSRP $3000
MA S500 = MSRP $3100
KEF R700 = MSRP $3600
Klipsch RF7-III MSRP $3600

For my money, I would get the RF7-III with 1.75" Titanium Compression Driver and Dual 10" Aluminum Woofers. And then Active Bi-amp those dual 10" Aluminum woofers with a subwoofer amp.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Of those 3 I would go Monitor Audio personally.

Polk Audio is a made in China department store brand these days and while the LSI series sounds decent(maybe the new Legend too as I haven't heard them) they are still what they are. I think you will almost always do better sound wise with a smaller audiophile brand and should leave the Polk/Klipsch/Bose etc. to the average Joe who doesn't know any better(or doesn't take the time to learn/research). You will also end up with something much more unique that isn't on display in every Best Buy and college dorm room in North America lol. If you want to go with a large company I would have a look at products from the Harman Group like Revel/JBL/Infinity.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Monitor Audio Silver 500. Hands down.If it wasn't for running into Dennis and Philharmonic Audio, that's what I would most likely have purchased... There is a lot to like about the Silvers. ;)

Of course if you wait a little longer, Dennis will be releasing a BMR tower... :p ScanSpeak Revelator 8" Woofer, with an MTM configuration up top of the Tectonic BMR drivers and Raal 64-10.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
There have been many Polk speaker models over the years, and I don't remember which ones I've heard. But I can remember that I was never impressed by any of what I did hear.

I heard Monitor Audio Silvers a number of years ago, and thought I liked them. But could never pull the trigger. Their treble was a bit bright sounding. Later, I heard much better sounding speakers, mainly those designed by Dennis Murphy and built by him or Jim Salk. I think my tastes are very much like ryanosaur's.

I wouldn't get any of the 3 you first mentioned. For $3100 to $3600 retail, you can do a lot better. If you act soon, you can buy Philharmonic Audio BMR speakers for $1700, shipping is extra. These speakers are 3-way stand-mount speakers. See photos here. The BMR speakers now for sale, come only in the finish shown in these photos.

Also see shadyJ's review from January 2019.

I've heard them, and I highly recommend them.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"Actively Bi-amp" Yuk! plus Staring at them gold drivers isn't my cup. Horns? no thanks.
Hey, Mike, those Monitor Audio Silver S500:

- 1" Aluminum/Magnesium Metal Tweeter
- 4" Aluminum/Magnesium Metal Midrange
- Dual 8" Aluminum/Magnesium Metal Woofers

The S300:
- 1" Aluminum/Magnesium Metal Tweeter
- 4" Aluminum/Magnesium Metal Midrange
- Dual 6" Aluminum/Magnesium Metal Woofers

So looks like all-metal drivers, not plastic or paper cone drivers.

In comparison to the Aluminum/Magnesium metal drivers of the Monitor Audio and Titanium + Aluminum metal drivers of the Klipsch, the Polk have the Polypropylene (Plastic material) drivers.

Last edited:
T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Yep, but the speaker Cabinet is wood real wood with Polk. What Monitor got? Particleboard? MDF? :p:D Some like warm wood feel when you need a hug.
It is likely a thin wood veneer over(glued) to MDF.

MDF is acoustically superior to most(almost all) other speaker box substrates including HDF and most solid real wood fyi...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, but the speaker Cabinet is wood real wood with Polk. What Monitor got? Particleboard? MDF? :p:D Some like warm wood feel when you need a hug.
Solid Real Wood Cabinets? Or real wood "Veneer"? :D

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Really? real wood isn't used? Bunch of lying bastard! Don't You just hate Marketing gosh!:D
No, real wood is often used.

It is used to give customers the nice, warm look you were talking about. It is just used as a thin veneer glued to solid MDF(usually 3/4 - 1") as MDF is acoustically superior and offers better value. Doing this gives the customer the best of both worlds...The nice look of real wood with the superior acoustic properties and generally lower cost of MDF.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Dude who do you think I'm? or are you trying to Impress with your knowledge of Speaker manufacturing? How old are you? What about Composite materials used to make speaker cabinets? Thoughts? :rolleyes:
You don't seem to know much and came here for help didn't you? If you don't want help you can leave the forum anytime. You seam to be an a-hole anyway so I'm going to stop waisting my time...

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Well, he came here asking for help and is now being a Jerk for no reason to the people offering to help. If you have a better adjective, feel free...

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Since you, Stupided down to calling me a name of Your personal choice, you seem to be a a$$hat for Assuming in the first place. But carry on you'll fit right in with the "meatball" fold.
I said you "seam" like an a*hole and you do. I bet anyone that reads your last comment to me about speaker materials will think the same. I was just trying to be helpful man.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I know you are Partner! Maybe I came off to hard. But just a note I was around when Particleboard was invented, hell I use to Sniff the glue of particleboard and Wafer board. Till someone told me Formaldehyde was in the glue used. Sure Real wood is used in building speakers. Legacy uses real word Expensive. Salk uses Real wood, Dennis, wouldn't use any but real wood.
Ok, that's all you had to say, no need to be harsh about it as I have no idea of your level of knowledge on this topic. And, age doesn't always equate to a persons level of wisdom or knowledge in my experience. I was just trying to let you know that MDF is a better speaker building material then real wood in almost all cases. I haven't owned any of those brands but, I suspect they also use real wood veneer over MDF. Using solid real wood would almost certainly degrade sound quality vs MDF and introduce large variances from speaker to speaker due to the irregularities in density, absortion properties, etc. Using solid real wood makes no sense really in this application.

Anyway, I hope you end up with a set of monitors that work well for you.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis