Dual SB3000 vs 1 PB1000

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
These are for sale near me and I’m thinking of pulling the trigger. How would dual SB3000’s stack up against a single PB1000?
A84E6B94-4C31-47D2-AEAA-974645E10383.jpeg

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
One SB3000 is more than one PB1000. Sealed don't have the same tactile feel at the bottom as vented generally speaking, but duals will be far in excess of one PB1000.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I knew they would produce better bass coverage and output in the upper range, I was mostly wondering about low end infrasonic bass. Think I’ll message and see if they’re still available. Sounds like cosmetically they may be a little rough but I could probably find a solution for that.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Going to meet him at 3 PM to demo the speakers. Honestly, if the finish isn’t a complete train wreck and they work I’m grabbing them.

$750 for dual SB3000’s is a deal deal.

they should go perfectly in the corners behind my Contour 20’s
9210A5F5-1349-4EBF-87E8-FA3E20A7F162.jpeg
E78FCA80-F60D-4F69-9A8A-645443A924BC.jpeg

W

wutdarut

Audioholic Intern
Is that 750 for both of them or 750 per SB3000? I am in same boat as you and about to pull trigger on two SB3000 in black ash for $1500 total…not gloss finish like those, but these one appear to be in near perfect condition.

Following to see what advice you get, but I’m leaning towards sealed over ported. Have a toddler in the house and ported subs are def going to wake him….thought is I will hold onto these for a few years and then sell them and get a big ported one then.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
These are for sale near me and I’m thinking of pulling the trigger. How would dual SB3000’s stack up against a single PB1000?View attachment 61133
How much total open room volume are you dealing with in your space? Sealed isn't such a bad deal if you aren't much over ~3000 cu.ft due to cabin gain. Its unpredictable and not wise to rely on, but in the right situations you can find in room measurements showing how impactful it can be.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Is that 750 for both of them or 750 per SB3000? I am in same boat as you and about to pull trigger on two SB3000 in black ash for $1500 total…not gloss finish like those, but these one appear to be in near perfect condition.

Following to see what advice you get, but I’m leaning towards sealed over ported. Have a toddler in the house and ported subs are def going to wake him….thought is I will hold onto these for a few years and then sell them and get a big ported one then.
Just picked them up, they are in near perfect condition with a couple of micro scratches, and one tiny scuffs that I think I can rub out with my finger and some toothpaste. It was $750 each, I walked out with them for $1400.

W

wutdarut

Audioholic Intern
Just picked them up, they are in near perfect condition with a couple of micro scratches, and one tiny scuffs that I think I can rub out with my finger and some toothpaste. It was $750 each, I walked out with them for $1400.
Congrats! Let me know how you like them. I pick up mine Thursday…you got a better deal than me especially since they are gloss!

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Congrats! Let me know how you like them. I pick up mine Thursday…you got a better deal than me especially since they are gloss!
I got him hooked up, and I still need to play with them some. Currently a bit less output than the PB 1000 but I need to try to dial them in
a little more. That said imaging and sound stage is much better and definitely cleaner bass. I also turned the volume up much more than I usually do, because the base is much more balanced. I may be achieving a lot more than I think I am, I don’t have a lot of low end gain

W

wutdarut

Audioholic Intern
I got him hooked up, and I still need to play with them some. Currently a bit less output than the PB 1000 but I need to try to dial them in
a little more. That said imaging and sound stage is much better and definitely cleaner bass. I also turned the volume up much more than I usually do, because the base is much more balanced. I may be achieving a lot more than I think I am, I don’t have a lot of low end gain
To be honest, I prefer a clean tight bass rather than strong rumble. Ideally I would love best of both worlds, but I have an open concept house where sound travels easily. Even though my subs will be in basement I am afraid ported subs will travel all the way to 2nd floor and wake up kids.

when I have enough budget to do a sound isolated room I’ll go ported.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
To be honest, I prefer a clean tight bass rather than strong rumble. Ideally I would love best of both worlds, but I have an open concept house where sound travels easily. Even though my subs will be in basement I am afraid ported subs will travel all the way to 2nd floor and wake up kids.

Just found the base, I always forget that Audyssey does weird things to crossover levels, and always sets my front speakers to large.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just found the base, I always forget that Audyssey does weird things to crossover levels, and always sets my front speakers to large.
That's not Audyssey but rather Denon FWIW. Audyssey lobbied for a start of all set to small/80hz crossover as a starting point with subs.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I knew they would produce better bass coverage and output in the upper range, I was mostly wondering about low end infrasonic bass. Think I’ll message and see if they’re still available. Sounds like cosmetically they may be a little rough but I could probably find a solution for that.
Don't worry about Infrasonics, you can't hear them anyway. Even if you could, very few movies and musical recordings contain infrasounds.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

Yeah, ported tends to have more boom than sealed.:)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, ported tends to have more boom than sealed.:)
Also stoopid blanket statement. Ported subs of the same level have more output below about 35hz. Not more “boom” unless they’re crap subs or not integrated very well.
“Sealed is tighter” is just ignorant. We’re so far past that. Unless we’re buying Klipsch Costco subs…and even they’re getting better.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I think I really need to move into a place that does not have 14 foot ceilings in an apartment

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis