Dual Opposed Mach 5 Audio FTW Build

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My goodness! Please tell me you cut dado's, at least, for each of the internal braces! The violent excursions of those big woofers would be rather taxing for a glue-only joint...
Nope, never had any problems before. No reason why they should start now. If I had my table saw I might do dados but I don't so I didn't bother.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My goodness! Please tell me you cut dado's, at least, for each of the internal braces! The violent excursions of those big woofers would be rather taxing for a glue-only joint...
Nope, never had any problems before. No reason why they should start now. If I had my table saw I might do dados but I don't so I didn't bother.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
So, have you ever had problems not using dados before? Not sure what you're trying to say.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
No reason why they should start now.
Famous last words right there. :D

This sub is bigger than anything so far and I assume it will have more output than most anything outside of an IMAX ... maybe. Yeah but no, you'll be fine. o_O lol

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Famous last words right there. :D

This sub is bigger than anything so far and I assume it will have more output than most anything outside of an IMAX ... maybe. Yeah but no, you'll be fine. o_O lol
When I had the LMS Ultras in that dual opposed cab, those braces and everything in there were just glued, no dados, and I hammered those things for everything they were worth. I'm more limited here than I was in the old place, so there's 99% chance that nothing will go wrong since I won't be able to hammer on these like I was able to hammer on the LMS.

Nah, with the wall limitations they won't ever see 1/4 of what they're capable of. I could run a temp. outlet with some 12ga wire, but I'm leaning towards a hard pass on that one.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Psst. Even the weight of that driver won't force that panel to be flush ;-)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Psst. Even the weight of that driver won't force that panel to be flush ;-)
Yea, Not sure exactly what happened. Everything is flush or pretty darn close, and then that one side is like 1/4" off. Ah-well NBD.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It does make life a little easier feeding them into the speaker.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Welp that edge is almost all cleaned up. Just a little more to do and it should be looking pretty good. Haven't been able to do much work on the sub because it requires that I be outside and it's been pretty much raining nonstop any time I have a day off. Anyways, here's the latest on the Bondo work, along with gluing some extra material to the inside bottom where the wheels will screw on. I'm tempted to go for another layer to have as much bite as possible because there's going to be a fair amount of force on the wheels and screws anytime this thing is wheeled around.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Those heavy duty Bessey's should make sure that panel doesn't fall out of line again!

(S**t, I still haven't finished my new enclosure...)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Those heavy duty Bessey's should make sure that panel doesn't fall out of line again!

(S**t, I still haven't finished my new enclosure...)
Well they didn't help the first time! Then again, this whole project is made all the more difficult without an actual place to work, but it's coming along alright. :D

I had to resist the urge to impulse but a kit I reaallllyyy want that just came back in stock. Ah well. I'll have to see how things look in a couple weeks. Who knows if it'll be in stock then or not.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Well they didn't help the first time! Then again, this whole project is made all the more difficult without an actual place to work, but it's coming along alright. :D

I had to resist the urge to impulse but a kit I reaallllyyy want that just came back in stock. Ah well. I'll have to see how things look in a couple weeks. Who knows if it'll be in stock then or not.
I wouldn't be surprised if the clamps offered too much force and forced you out square. I did that to a face frame once...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I wouldn't be surprised if the clamps offered too much force and forced you out square. I did that to a face frame once...
I've done that before as well and I don't think so. I glued a side panel and brace in first to help keep things square. The other three corners are completely square so I'm thinking one or two of the braces came out with a slight angle when cutting, but who knows.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I've done that before as well and I don't think so. I glued a side panel and brace in first to help keep things square. The other three corners are completely square so I'm thinking one or two of the braces came out with a slight angle when cutting, but who knows.
So you're saying you should have had your students check your math?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So you're saying you should have had your students check your math?
Not even remotely. I wouldn't trust most of them to count to 10.

Less to do with math and more to do with not staying completely flush against the straight edge when cutting.....or alternatively the straightedge not being completely straight.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Cut and fit, we do our best. Paint and caulk will do the rest.

You seem to have gotten over the horror of out of square cuts growing your box rather quickly. Actually your lack of concern is alarming. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Cut and fit, we do our best. Paint and caulk will do the rest.

You seem to have gotten over the horror of out of square cuts growing your box rather quickly. Actually your lack of concern is alarming. :D
Given how things don't go to plan under the best of circumstances, these less than ideal circumstances were bound to yield imperfect results :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Coming along I see. For keeping enclosures square the corner clamps are a must for me. It takes 8 of them, but they are worth every penny
Must be nice to have rich man clamps. I'm a poor man getting by with pipe and corner clamps. Seriously this is almost finished. I hope he has a good lawyer on speed dial for handling noise complaints.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis