Dual "Double Decker" Subs

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Curious about these types of subwoofers. Wondering just how incremental they are vs. a comparable single 15". Has anyone ever heard one of these or similar?

I'm not sure I'd ever be able to have two of these in the same room but perhaps one of these plus another single in the room. They sure look impressive. Is it a scenario where they are that much more or at a certain point is it power not used? (Maybe like having a 400WPC amp when you don't use more than 100 WPC... Which I'd also like to try by the way :) )

I regret I missed a few used deals on duals of this type of sub. One was PSA and another Rythmik posted on this site.

1596230083918.png

1596230153129.png

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Aside from the extra output, those types of subs do have a couple advantages. They give you lot more output per footprint, and there is more room in the cabinet for longer ports in case the designer wants to tune them to very low frequencies such as the 10Hz tuning frequency of the JTR Captivator 4000ULF. The disadvantage is that they are a nightmare to handle, and once you get one you are kind of stuck with it because you will have a difficult time reselling it if you decide you don't want it anymore. I think its usually better to get a bunch of smaller subs with good baseline performance rather than one behemoth.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
WTF is that??? I had a 10” JLW7 in a high output box in my suburban 20 years ago and that was sick. This looks like 2 15 W7’s or something. Holy poop.
And how much was your subwoofer versus the cost of this one

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
WTF is that??? I had a 10” JLW7 in a high output box in my suburban 20 years ago and that was sick. This looks like 2 15 W7’s or something. Holy poop.
12s... If you want sick output just get a JTR big boy.

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
I think I got that in the box for 900$ or so, a lot for a 10” especially 20 years ago. I lived in south Florida back then, so poop was good

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I think I got that in the box for 900$ or so, a lot for a 10” especially 20 years ago. I lived in south Florida back then, so poop was good
There's a story about how JL and Sound Advice started and it wasn't legal (80s)...

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
I used to kick it with a JL 500/1 monoblock. poop set off car alarms.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There are also dual-opposed designs (sealed generally) to save space somewhat....and have fairly inert cabinets as a result of the cancellation.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
As Shady said, if you absolutely need maximum output per Sub, get large "Dualies." Each co-located Sub will increase SPL Output... Is it +6dB, or +3, I don't recall right now.
The flipside is that you will still want Subs in multiple locations as that will help smooth out the bass response in-room. Co-located Subs will not do this as they behave as a single unit.
(Colocated meaning two drivers located withing ~3' of each other, so a Dual Sub like you posted above would be the equivalent of stacking 2 Monolith 15" singles on top of each other. (More or less.))

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
I’m a greedy fucker, so I care more about the prime seat (me) then good bass throughout the room. I want to maximize prime seat

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As Shady said, if you absolutely need maximum output per Sub, get large "Dualies." Each co-located Sub will increase SPL Output... Is it +6dB, or +3, I don't recall right now.
The flipside is that you will still want Subs in multiple locations as that will help smooth out the bass response in-room. Co-located Subs will not do this as they behave as a single unit.
(Colocated meaning two drivers located withing ~3' of each other, so a Dual Sub like you posted above would be the equivalent of stacking 2 Monolith 15" singles on top of each other. (More or less.))
Subs placed within a quarter wave length of each other is where you get 6dB gain....assuming each equally powered IIRC. A stack of subs could also address different room modes...

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
After I repaired the surround on my VMPS TallBoy dual sub it went into the theater with the HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP. The HSU is in the front corner looking nice and proper while the dual TallBoy is in the rear corner of the room.

Those two working together setup a huge bass response with minimal effort. Bring in the Kracken! :D

TallBoy.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis