Downsizing thoughts ..........

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
right now merely contemplating the idea !
I want a barn. Lots of open space, easy to configure and a 'box in a box' would be easier than in a place with 8' ceiling height.

highfigh

highfigh

What's interesting as I look at these, I'm not seeing the amount gain for and MC cartridge .....:(

correction, the Denon list an excellent 74db of gain but I see no loading options for any of them .....
If I was going to be picky about the loading, my choice would include a separate phono preamp, which expands your options for the integrated amp because it wouldn't depend on the phono section.

Which cartridge are you using? I have a Denon 103d and its output is very low- I have used preamps that didn't provide enough gain for it but it's not easy to audition them, to compare. Parasound increased the MC gain in their preamps by 10dB after the P5 volume control problem- I spoke with Richard Schramm (head of Parasound) about that and had told him about the need to raise the volume control to 12:00 in order to reach a similar level as the other sources. I have to think others made similar comments.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
If I was going to be picky about the loading, my choice would include a separate phono preamp, which expands your options for the integrated amp because it wouldn't depend on the phono section.
agreed when one has a somewhat finicky cartridge as I do

Which cartridge are you using?
Benz Micro Gullwing (SHR), it's the loading # that rarely gets close with fixed rate phono-pre's......

highfigh

highfigh

agreed when one has a somewhat finicky cartridge as I do

Benz Micro Gullwing (SHR), it's the loading # that rarely gets close with fixed rate phono-pre's......

I sometimes wonder why a cartridge manufacture would build something that needs a special load, after all this time. Why not just build it to work with what has been available as a load range for all these years? I know the answer- they don't want to. I don't like that kind of thinking.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I sometimes wonder why a cartridge manufacture would build something that needs a special load, after all this time. Why not just build it to work with what has been available as a load range for all these years? I know the answer- they don't want to. I don't like that kind of thinking.
In our hobby there are those who like to listen to music and those who like to fiddle with their equipment. Stuff you just plug in and it works for years unassisted is for music listeners. Stuff you have to constantly fiddle with is for those in the hobby who's interest lies more in tinkering than listening. Manufacturers face both kinds of buyers. :p

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
In our hobby there are those who like to listen to music and those who like to fiddle with their equipment. Stuff you just plug in and it works for years unassisted is for music listeners. Stuff you have to constantly fiddle with is for those in the hobby who's interest lies more in tinkering than listening. Manufacturers face both kinds of buyers. :p
While I won't argue with that point I will say that in the world of analog there is more 'fiddling' just by its very nature but when you've locked in that combination, you know and the music becomes even more enjoyable !

highfigh

highfigh

Their goal is to sell what they make- they can't exist in a vacuum. Making products that are compatible out of the box with other brands makes sales more likely if the product can stand on its own. Fiddling with products causes a lot of problems and if you read threads about Audyssey/YPAO, MCACC, REW, MiniDSP & other methods of equalization, network setup and AVR settings, you'll see all kinds of "It doesn't work!" comments, along with "I tried everything (except reading the manual)".

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis