Downsizing thoughts ..........

O

oupee

Enthusiast
Personally, I am attracted to the Marantz Model 30, but it is expensive here in Europe. When I convert the price with us to USD, I get 3800 USD.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I thought you were looking for ANALOG integrated amps.
that would be correct, input would need only to satisfy my turntable and SACD (Marantz Ruby, more than adequate inboard DAC for me)

The higher-end Yamaha A-S1200 and A-S2200 don't have USB or DACs since they are purely analog integrated amps.

thanks, will investigate as well !

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
IMO, these "all-in-one" Integrated amps with USB and DACs are basically just stereo receivers. :D

I thought you were looking for ANALOG integrated amps. The higher-end Yamaha A-S1200 and A-S2200 don't have USB or DACs since they are purely analog integrated amps.

Only the LOWER-END Yamaha A-S801 has USB and DAC. :D
I'm not looking, @Mikado463 is. He mentioned the Denon PMA-A110, which has a streaming DAC and phono stage. I figured that is what he looking for, hence the other suggestions of similar products.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
John and others, my mention of the Denon was in reaction to Gene's recent review. As I stated, my only 'real' needs will be for analog inputs.......

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
@AcuDefTechGuy @Mikado463 I see now (as I was writing my last response) that a DAC is not necessary - I would then whole heartedly recommend any of the (analog) Yamaha integrateds!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
my only 'real' needs will be for analog inputs.......
Much better. :D

Yeah, if I were getting an Integrated Amp, then it's gotta be purely Analog like those pretty looking Yamaha A-S1200 and A-S2200 Integrated amps.

Otherwise, IMO, I might as well just get an AVR if I'm looking for DACs, USB, and other all-in-one-AVR features. :D

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
One more to throw into the mix (living vicariously through you...) the Musical Fidelity M6si. Yes, it has a DAC but MF seems to produce a very high quality product. Plus, it is quite the powerhouse and comes in silver!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
What's interesting as I look at these, I'm not seeing the amount gain for and MC cartridge .....:(

correction, the Denon list an excellent 74db of gain but I see no loading options for any of them .....

Last edited:
bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
The Anthem STR integrated is hard to beat, balanced analog inputs, 200w/channel and outstanding room correction. I had one and could not tell the difference between the SQ of the integrated vs the STR separates.
It is on the large size however, but a great product.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Much better. :D

Yeah, if I were getting an Integrated Amp, then it's gotta be purely Analog like those pretty looking Yamaha A-S1200 and A-S2200 Integrated amps.

Otherwise, IMO, I might as well just get an AVR if I'm looking for DACs, USB, and other all-in-one-AVR features. :D
I would love to come up with a reason to buy one of those Yamaha analog amps. Or somebody elses purely analog amp. The problem is the Denon AVR's I have now simply do a fantastic job. They have power that's easily more than I can consume, and the sound is top notch. @PENG mentioned trying to understand how much power you really need before going out to make an amp purchase. I remember doing a thread or two and some experiments to determine how much wattage I needed. I was stunned to find out that for my normal 75db listening I am burning maybe 1 watt of power in my nearfield setup. When I want really loud stuff, well, you can do the math. It still doesn't amount to much of anything. Yet we are conditioned by the audio press to buy 100's of watts of power. I am still looking for a problem I can solve with one of those great looking Yamahas.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
another part of the 'down sizing' equation' will of course be speakers, so yes when that time comes the speaker / amp pairing will come front and center

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
another part of the 'down sizing' equation' will of course be speakers, so yes when that time comes the speaker / amp pairing will come front and center
So why not settle on the downsized speakers first? Rather than an integrated how about a pre/power amp combo? Does it have to be class AB? How many analog inputs do you need? May as well hang onto your phono stage if you want more choices in curves/loading?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The finest Integrated amps are made by Creek Audio. They are not excessively expensive, they range in power from 85 watts per channel all the way to 400 watts per channel in a small case using class G topology. They contain a very good DACs. Creek have made the finest integrated amps for 25 years at least. They are based in Hertfordshire UK with manufacturing in Slovakia.

This is their latest integrated amp, 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
So why not settle on the downsized speakers first? Rather than an integrated how about a pre/power amp combo? Does it have to be class AB? How many analog inputs do you need? May as well hang onto your phono stage if you want more choices in curves/loading?
for sure, all good points ! After reading Gene's review the whole process just got me thinking and realistically when the time comes whatever system I have will be 'room optimized' both for components and speakers. Hopefully I'll be able to integrate either small towers or stand mounts with a sub.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
The finest Integrated amps are made by Creek Audio. They are not excessively expensive, they range in power from 85 watts per channel all the way to 400 watts per channel in a small case using class G topology. They contain a very good DACs. Creek have made the finest integrated amps for 25 years at least. They are based in Hertfordshire UK with manufacturing in Slovakia.

This is their latest integrated amp, 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms.

could be an interesting option where space is a concern. I've never listened to a Class G amp before. I did take notice that it has a low gain with respect to MC cartridges.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis