Dominion's $1.6B Defamation Lawsuit Against Fox News Going to Trial

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
As a practical matter, no. Civil lawsuits are a way to resolve disputes between private parties. Once the parties come to an agreement there is no sipute. Having said that, in theory a judge could reject a settlement if it included illegal or unenforceable terms (e.g. if Fox agreed that, as part of the settlement, Tucker Carlson would be required to commit hari-kari).
Oh, that is too harsh. Just cut his vocal chords.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Not arguing the deception and the ease to which FOX is able to lay it on their audience but don't forget CNN and Cuomo's capers, agreed ?
CNN fired Cuomo for his misconduct. Do you think anyone at Fox will be fired?

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, that is too harsh. Just cut his vocal chords.
Another thought would be to require him to do his show wearing a diaper and wired up to a lie detector. The only problem is that his ratings might actually increase (I'd be tempted to watch it myself).

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
What about the special master that the judge just decided on, as well as lying to the judge?
Various news organizations are reporting that the special master's investigation will be discontinued.

>>>The source familiar with the matter said Tuesday night that the special master's investigation will not move forward. Dominion declined to comment, and Fox did not immediately respond to a request for comment.<<<

https://www.nbcnews.com/media/judge-appoints-special-master-investigate-fox-news-dominion-defamation-rcna80289

I suspect that this is probably correct. Sanctions are (for the most part) intended to level the playing field and discourage the offending party from engaging in further nefarious conduct. Presumably the settlement takes this into account, which would mean that the court's concerns are greatly reduced. Even if the investigation ends, the fact that the judge appointed a special master still sends a message to future litigants.

I suppose a third party could file an ethics complaint against Fox's lawyers, but even if it were to happen my initial impression is that it would be unlikely to get much traction.

This is HIGHLY speculative on my part, but I suspect Fox could have saved themselves about $2-300 million if they would have settled earlier. They waited until their legal handbasket was already in h*ll, which is always a weak bargaining position.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This is HIGHLY speculative on my part, but I suspect Fox could have saved themselves about $2-300 million if they would have settled earlier. They waited until their legal handbasket was already in h*ll, which is always a weak bargaining position.
It however would not be HIGHLY speculative to say that Faux could have saved themselves exactly $787.5 million, not to mention whatever their legal team cost them … if they hadn't repeated & repeated defamatory falsehoods about Dominion Voting Systems and the 2020 election, that they knew were false ;).

That's like saying if Rupert Murdock wasn't such a liar, his company wouldn't be called Faux News.

Faux News – a name that will last forever.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Another thought would be to require him to do his show wearing a diaper and wired up to a lie detector. The only problem is that his ratings might actually increase (I'd be tempted to watch it myself).
Me too, at least the 1st episode. :D

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
It however would not be HIGHLY speculative to say that Faux could have saved themselves exactly $787.5 million, not to mention whatever their legal team cost them … if they hadn't repeated & repeated defamatory falsehoods about Dominion Voting Systems and the 2020 election, that they knew were false ;).
I'm not sure they could have saved the entire amount. They were apparently motivated by a fear that their viewers would abandon them if they didn't go along with the lies.

On a more cheerful note, Fox is still facing a $2.7 billion lawsuit by Smartmatic.

>>>Fox, one of the most influential cable networks in the world and home to many conservative commentators, acknowledged in a statement Tuesday that the judge found “certain claims about Dominion to be false” and said it hopes the deal helps the country “move forward with these issues.”

But Fox’s lawyers will stay busy navigating the legal fallout of the network’s 2020 election coverage with a potentially far more damaging defamation lawsuit by voting technology company Smartmatic, as well as a separate but related lawsuit by a recently fired producer.<<<

My career advice to young lawyers is to represent Smartmatic on a contingency basis in this lawsuit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I hope the funding from Faux at least helps Dominion with their other pending lawsuits against various other parties....and go Smartmatic!

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Be interesting to see what type of reporting Faux does in the future. Though I doubt it will change much regarding people like Tucker.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I would hope the legal system is based on fixed pay with lawyers etc and what dominium and smartmatic are doing is based on the loss of projected profits.

Same with the Alex Jones case. If defamation effected the families due to loss of employment and relocation, but a billion dollars ....

The cynical side of me says it's so someone can buy another mansion.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis