Dolby Atmos Setup Help!

S

sudman

Enthusiast
Hello,

I recently upgraded my Pioneer Elite SC-75 to a Denon AVR X4400h and what a difference it has made!! I am blown away by the receiver and how good it processes sound.

A big reason for the upgrade is because as a huge movie fan, I wanted to have Dolby Atmos. The reciever has 9 active channels and 2 additional channels can be powered by an external amp to help create a 7.1.4 setup.

I have looked online but am quite confused about the following:

1) Can I use the Pre Outs from my Denon connect them into my Pioneer Elite SC-75 and use the Pioneer Elite as a pre amp instead of having to buy one specifically?

2) If possible, how can i achieve this? What inputs on the Pioneer must i connect wires to? How would i set this up?

3) For Atmos, would you reccomend Height speakers or In ceiling speakers?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!!!

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, you could connect rca cables from your Denon pre-outs to one of the inputs (any, except any phono input as that would have RIAA eq applied) on your SC75; you'd pick a volume setting that allows full use of the amp and leave it there, also use pure direct to avoid further dsp from the receiver-as-power-amp; then run Denon's Audyssey (or your own setup) to tie it all together.

Not an Atmos user so will leave speaker stuff to others.

S

sudman

Enthusiast
Yes, you could connect rca cables from your Denon pre-outs to one of the inputs (any, except any phono input as that would have RIAA eq applied) on your SC75; you'd pick a volume setting that allows full use of the amp and leave it there, also use pure direct to avoid further dsp from the receiver-as-power-amp; then run Denon's Audyssey (or your own setup) to tie it all together.

Not an Atmos user so will leave speaker stuff to others.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post ! If this is the case, what ‘input’ would I select on the reciever ?

I ask because if the RCA for Rear Hieght Left is plugged into TV in and the RCA for Rear Height Right is plugged into CD in and I select ‘TV’ , won’t I loose the Speaker plugged into CD ?

This is why I have been so confused . Again , really appreciate the help !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just use one or the other, cd or tv, input (they each have a L/R). You're just able to use two channels on your receiver-as-amp. Not sure why you're thinking of separating them over two separate inputs....

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

S

sudman

Enthusiast
You Genius!!! I have never done this before so I thought that they each needed 2 outs ( similar to the speaker wire terminals - Black and Red) , but I stand corrected ! But it seems that each side only has 1 output THANK YOU!!!!!!

One other thing- can I set it up so that I have additional speakers connected in other rooms but they do not get used when the reciever is working with my Denon for Atmos. So, for instance it would work during Airplay output on all speakers / rooms but Not when it is in Pure Direct mode for Atmos ?

Thanks for the warm welcome and fantastic advice !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could wire speakers to work on a separate input, and fool with the volume control (or other adjustments) each time you switched back and forth (but if you jotted down the volume position that you calibrated for the receiver-as-external-amp for use with the Denon, should work okay). An all-ch stereo type sound mode would play all the speakers in stereo pairs, or mono mode might be better depending on speaker locations/use.

Yes, with the rca cables the signal both +/- are within the single cable for each channel.

ps was thinking more about using something like an airport express at first but suppose this would still work as airplay needs to be using the network input or similar on your Pioneer?

S

sudman

Enthusiast
Do does Pure Direct mode only output to 2 speakers ?

In a setup like this , would the volume of the 2 additional speakers that are connected to the Pre outs of the Denon be controlled by the Denon or the Pioneer ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pure Direct would probably be limited to the main L/R channels since the Pioneer only has 2ch inputs. When you use the Pioneer as amp you'd need to have the Denon control the volume (and you would calibrate it to work together by running Audyssey, or a manual setup, with a single particular volume level set on the Pioneer).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, welcome.
By the way, if the picture you posted is correct, you have 11 channels pre out and 11 channel speaker terminals along with 2 sub out. So, you could do 7.2.4 as is without external amp other than the powered subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, welcome.
By the way, if the picture you posted is correct, you have 11 channels pre out and 11 channel speaker terminals along with 2 sub out. So, you could do 7.2.4 as is without external amp other than the powered subs.
No, the 4400 only has 9 amp channels to use...need to go up to the 6400 or 8500 for more amp channels (pretty sure the 7200 only has 9 amp channels)

S

sudman

Enthusiast
Yes this is correct it only has 9 active and needs 2 additional externals for the full 11 to work .

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
No, the 4400 only has 9 amp channels to use...need to go up to the 6400 or 8500 for more amp channels (pretty sure the 7200 only has 9 amp channels)
Oh, OK. He posted a Pioneer picture. That has 11 channels. Though he posted the Denon.

S

sudman

Enthusiast
So I changed the denon to 11.1 and connected the speakers as per your suggestion on both ends and per the revievers required terminals but there seems to be no sound out of the speakers connected to the pioneer when on the ‘DVD’ input connected to the pre out .

When connected separately to an airplay device the SC-75 successfully outputs sound through these speakers ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I changed the denon to 11.1 and connected the speakers as per your suggestion on both ends and per the revievers required terminals but there seems to be no sound out of the speakers connected to the pioneer when on the ‘DVD’ input connected to the pre out .

When connected separately to an airplay device the SC-75 successfully outputs sound through these speakers ?
Not really clear on what you connected where. You connected the pre-outs on the Denon for what channels to the Pioneer's DVD input? You had speakers connected to which speaker terminals on the Pioneer? You sure that's the right amp assignement for 7.1.4?

S

sudman

Enthusiast
Denon :
- changed Amp assign mode to 11.1
- connected Cables to Height 2 pre out ( L and R )

Pioneer:
- changed Amp to 7.1 + Zone 2
- connected cables mentioned from Denon above to CD in

Issue: Sound only plays when ‘Airplay is enabled. No sound from Denon signal.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You may need to check the input assignment for DVD on your Pioneer to make sure it's analog (vs digital).

S

sudman

Enthusiast
Yes , that’s what it seems to say . Very strange indeed ! In the setup menu, it says input - Analog.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm...dvd input worked okay before? Some do switch automatically depending what's connected. What volume level did you try on the Pioneer? What was the output level for that pre-out channel on the Denon set to? I didn't check your amp assignment directions but usually pre-outs are live, you had the Denon set to a mode that would output those channels? My Denon 4520 is an 11.1 capable unit but not for Atmos type heights.....and you may need to run Audyssey on the Denon before it recognizes that those channels are in use...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis