Do you think it's worth going with a separate AV Processor?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think if you absolutely must have Dirac, the $4K Monolith HTP-1 and $2.5K Monolith 11Ch amp would probably be the best bang for your buck. Both are made by ATI.

No way I would spend $5K on any AVR again.

S

sakete

Audioholic
I think if you absolutely must have Dirac, the $4K Monolith HTP-1 and $2.5K Monolith 11Ch amp would probably be the best bang for your buck. Both are made by ATI.
Does ATI have expertise in making pre-pro though?

It's looking like the ability to build good power amps doesn't necessarily translate well to building a good pre-pro.

Hopefully measurements can prove one way or the other if ATI is worthy :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does ATI have expertise in making pre-pro though?

It's looking like the ability to build good power amps doesn't necessarily translate well to building a good pre-pro.

Hopefully measurements can prove one way or the other if ATI is worthy :)
ATI have made Pre-pros in the past - under the ATI brand as well as Theta Digital brand, like the $20K Theta Casablanca pre-pro.

The HTP-1 is derived from the $20K and $10K DataSat pre-pros which have been around for a few years (like 2012).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
ATI have made Pre-pros in the past - under the ATI brand as well as Theta Digital brand, like the $20K Theta Casablanca pre-pro.

The HTP-1 is derived from the $20K and $10K DataSat pre-pros which have been around for a few years (like 2012).
Beat me to it. :) Plus, I think making amps probably does translate well to making other types of consumer electronics....

S

sakete

Audioholic

Were they any good, based on objective measurements?

S

sakete

Audioholic
Beat me to it. :) Plus, I think making amps probably does translate well to making other types of consumer electronics....
Not in NAD's case at least. Their M27 power amp measured really well, their M17 pre-pro just terrible (especially given the retail price).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dirac vs Audyssey vs YPAO in the end will very much depend on the room you're in. I believe that Dirac is good, but I was able to get a pretty flat response in my room with YPAO, and I have the graphs to prove it.

So don't discount other room EQ software. It all depends on your room, and you'll always want to confirm with REW afterwards to see if it indeed made a difference.

I know of at least one example where Dirac made the sound worse (in the freq response graph anyway). There is no holy grail :)
This is where Audyssey got me. It's actually a little bit better than I expected.
Audyssey sweeps 9-20-19.jpg

That's much better than the "before", which I forgot to save, damnit. No tweaking with the app either. I flattened most of that out to about +/- 2dB with REW and a Mini and because Audyssey did some of the lifting first it was pretty quick and easy.

REW filters EQ 1 9-20-19.jpg

I don't remember how YPAO did for you. Post it up and we can compare results.

S

sakete

Audioholic
This is where Audyssey got me. It's actually a little bit better than I expected.
View attachment 31475

That's much better than the "before", which I forgot to save, damnit. No tweaking with the app either. I flattened most of that out to about +/- 2dB with REW and a Mini and because Audyssey did some of the lifting first it was pretty quick and easy.

View attachment 31477

I don't remember how YPAO did for you. Post it up and we can compare results.
My measurements can be found in this thread: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/debating-switching-from-yamaha-to-nad.115538/&share_tid=115538&share_fid=59414&share_type=t&link_source=app

Debating switching from Yamaha to NAD

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
What about this option:

The Anthem MRX 720 AVR https://www.anthemav.com/products/type=av-receiver

it has 11 channel capabilities but has 7 onboard channels... This seems appealing because I already have an external 2 channel amp for my mains, I would like to get my centre channel on a separate amp as well. I could get a 4 channel amp for the ceiling speakers and call it a day... that would be under 5K.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not in NAD's case at least. Their M27 power amp measured really well, their M17 pre-pro just terrible (especially given the retail price).
NAD only designs, tho, don't they? Made in China via a contractor IIRC.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
For what it's worth in the new theater room getting setup I have the Anthem 60 prepro it sounds lovely in my old setup at the old house I had the Denon X4400H and used it as a prepro it sounded equally as lovely.

Honestly couldn't tell the 2 apart I like them both equally

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If I had to do it over again in the new theater room. I'd have just used the X4400H and saved some coin. Especially since all my runs are short so I'm just going unbalanced on the connects don't get me wrong tho the anthem does sound lovely

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why do you say that?
I think a lot of these decisions are simply pure personal preference, not necessarily about absolute sound quality. :D

I think If you consider yourself a “Separates guy”, you just cannot bring yourself to spend probably more than $2K on AVRs because “separates guys” will always see AVR as “AVRs” even if they cost $10,000. :D

I would buy a new Yamaha AVR for my living room. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Were they any good, based on objective measurements?
I can’t find any SNR or Crosstalk measurements for them.

I’ve only seen one measurement for a Theta Casablanca, but I think the reviewer only cared about distortion and frequency response, which are great, but so are most $300 AVR.

I think the 2 measurements I’ve seen that really separate them are SNR and XT, but I cannot find any of those measurements.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I think a lot of these decisions are simply pure personal preference, not necessarily about absolute sound quality. :D

I think If you consider yourself a “Separates guy”, you just cannot bring yourself to spend probably more than $2K on AVRs because “separates guys” will always see AVR as “AVRs” even if they cost $10,000. :D

I would buy a new Yamaha AVR for my living room. :D
I was not impressed with the NADs measurements from the previous link but I do like their modular designs.... But at 6k us and 8k plus tax cad is steeeeeep... The Yamaha is a great choice for half the cost of the nad.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was not impressed with the NADs measurements from the previous link but I do like their modular designs.... But at 6k us and 8k plus tax cad is steeeeeep... The Yamaha is a great choice for half the cost of the nad.
Sound & Vision Magazine

Yamaha CX5100: SNR 130.92 dBA, XT 94.21 dB
Marantz AV8802: SNR 130.38dBA, XT 93.16dB
Krell Foundation: SNR 128.33dBA, XT 100.61dB
Anthem AVM-60: SNR 127.91dBA, XT 107.90dB
Integra DHC 60.5: SNR 127.11dBA, XT 95.18dB
Classe CT SSP: SNR 122.13dBA, XT 102.93dB
Bryston SP3: SNR 121.59dBA, XT 93.44dB
Cary Audio 12: SNR 121.03dBA, XT 93.41dB
Lexicon MC-8: SNR 120.18dBA, XT 92.64dB
AudioControl M9: SNR 118.63dBA, XT 91.55dB
Denon AVP-A1HD: SNR 114.57dBA, XT 111.95dB
Anthem D2: SNR 113.13dBA, XT 112.97dB
NAD M15: SNR 112.67dBA, XT 109.73dB
Rotel RAP-1580: SNR 99.04dBA, XT 86.1dB

$6,000 Arcam 850 AVR: SNR 107.48dBA, XT 101.28dB

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Sound & Vision Magazine

Yamaha CX5100: SNR 130.92 dBA, XT 94.21 dB
Marantz AV8802: SNR 130.38dBA, XT 93.16dB
Krell Foundation: SNR 128.33dBA, XT 100.61dB
Anthem AVM-60: SNR 127.91dBA, XT 107.90dB
Integra DHC 60.5: SNR 127.11dBA, XT 95.18dB
Classe CT SSP: SNR 122.13dBA, XT 102.93dB
Bryston SP3: SNR 121.59dBA, XT 93.44dB
Cary Audio 12: SNR 121.03dBA, XT 93.41dB
Lexicon MC-8: SNR 120.18dBA, XT 92.64dB
AudioControl M9: SNR 118.63dBA, XT 91.55dB
Denon AVP-A1HD: SNR 114.57dBA, XT 111.95dB
Anthem D2: SNR 113.13dBA, XT 112.97dB
NAD M15: SNR 112.67dBA, XT 109.73dB
Rotel RAP-1580: SNR 99.04dBA, XT 86.1dB

$6,000 Arcam 850 AVR: SNR 107.48dBA, XT 101.28dB
If the content is 100db louder than the noise, such as it is in all those components, then I doubt it would be audible.
What does XT refer to?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis