Do you guys believe in cable directionality?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
OK, fess up! What kinds of "testing" did you do?
Well, for one I've tinkered with the possibilities of using the magnetron from a standard microwave oven, and with some strategic rear shielding, focal panels, and adequate power supply mechanism... I can make a ray gun. :D The fact that I can no longer have children is in NO way associated with this experiment... :p

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, for one I've tinkered with the possibilities of using the magnetron from a standard microwave oven, and with some strategic rear shielding, focal panels, and adequate power supply mechanism... I can make a ray gun. :D The fact that I can no longer have children is in NO way associated with this experiment... :p
One of my friends taught his college roommate that capacitors can store enough energy to burn the skin of someone's hand at the points where the leads make contact with their sweaty palm. His roommate constantly touched, filtered through and looked at anything that wasn't his, so a fairly large value, charged cap with about 400WVDC was placed under the newspaper one late summer day and Bob saw it, picked it up and tossed it into the air a few times until it landed, leads down, in the palm of his hand.

He learned something that day. It was a good day.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I try to make it so that my cables are oriented from a higher point from source to a lower elevation for the destination. So source is higher than amp and amp is higher than the speaker posts. This way, the sound electrons dont' have to fight gravity.

....-H
How do you handle the surround speakers?;):D Most are pretty high up:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Well, we're talking normal circumstances, not reverse biasing a diode to breakdown conditions. I've been deeply involved in component level electronics for many years, so trust me I've done my own brand of such "experimenting", and much more than that as well. :D.

Beyond this though, it's silly to continue this thread. This discussion is off-base, barely relevant, and as TLS put it, no need to waste any more of our time with even the original question posted by the OP. PM me sometime if you want to have a great discussion on electronics and electrical theory, it'll be a hoot. :D
But we like to discuss meaningless topics:D

Diode effect happens because of a junction, not the conductor's fault or caused by them:D

L

leftyron

Audiophyte
I have been pondering this same issue recently and agree with most of the replies to your post - that
directional cables are snake oil B.S.

I am not a physicist, but did study electronics years ago. Here is my understanding of this:

The musical signal whether it be from a CD player, turntable or whatever would be an AC signal (not DC).
If one were to look at the signal on a test instrument such as an oscilloscope, the voltage would swing back
and forth between positive and negative polarity. The waveform for a music signal is complex, but to simplify,
picture a sine wave with a positive half and a negative half.

This means that the electrons will repeatedly cycle back and forth (left, then right direction) through the
cable.

If the cable allowed electron flow to be better in one direction over the other, then there would be a problem.
It would introduce distortion because either the positive polarity or negative polarity half of the signal would
be better transmitted and amplified over the other, creating asymmetry. The cable would be acting somewhat like
a diode as a previous post has mentioned.

In my opinion directional cables for music seems like snake oil.

Ron

highfigh

highfigh

I have been pondering this same issue recently and agree with most of the replies to your post - that
directional cables are snake oil B.S.

I am not a physicist, but did study electronics years ago. Here is my understanding of this:

The musical signal whether it be from a CD player, turntable or whatever would be an AC signal (not DC).
If one were to look at the signal on a test instrument such as an oscilloscope, the voltage would swing back
and forth between positive and negative polarity. The waveform for a music signal is complex, but to simplify,
picture a sine wave with a positive half and a negative half.

This means that the electrons will repeatedly cycle back and forth (left, then right direction) through the
cable.

If the cable allowed electron flow to be better in one direction over the other, then there would be a problem.
It would introduce distortion because either the positive polarity or negative polarity half of the signal would
be better transmitted and amplified over the other, creating asymmetry. The cable would be acting somewhat like
a diode as a previous post has mentioned.

In my opinion directional cables for music seems like snake oil.

Ron
That's crazy talk! Using logic and test equipment to explain how a signal may not be better by using some mysterious metal, plastic or batteries is asking for a lawsuit, Buster!:D

HedgeHog

HedgeHog

Audioholic Intern
How do you handle the surround speakers?;):D Most are pretty high up:D
Given that the surrounds a quite a distance away, the drop to them should allow the electrons to build up enough speed so that they have enough momentum to rise to the surround level. Simple kinetic energy converted to potential energy theory. Kinda like a roller coaster.

But since surround signals don't have much content, it's not so much affected by gravity. ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Given that the surrounds a quite a distance away, the drop to them should allow the electrons to build up enough speed so that they have enough momentum to rise to the surround level. Simple kinetic energy converted to potential energy theory. Kinda like a roller coaster.
Yes, but the coaster has a drastic drop after that initial climb. Or, as long as the height drop is the same, the momentum will be there?

But since surround signals don't have much content, it's not so much affected by gravity. ;)
Oh, good. :p I am relieved.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis