DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
yep - I agree.
denon = overpriced overhyped and mediocre stuff nowadays, just riding on the name that did had decent mid and even high-end products during the late 80's and 90's...
like a lot of other brands, they just caved to the demand of HT multi channel stuff, and neglected real, music oriented audio segement.
Denon is hardly overhyped and mediocre. Compared to what? Denon receivers are high quality, great features, high reliability and competitively priced. Denon also offers high-end/expensive world class electronics/products and some have been reviewed on this website and are backed by measurements and excellent performance.

Now the Denon link cable on the other hand is over priced crap. :eek:

Last edited:
T

thenatinator

Junior Audioholic
Denon is hardly overhyped and mediocre. Compared to what? Denon receivers are high quality, great features, high reliability and competitively priced. Denon also offers high-end/expensive world class electronics/products and some have been reviewed on this website and are backed by measurements and excellent performance.

Now the Denon link cable on the other hand is over priced crap. :eek:
I hear the denon link ethernet cable with avm fluid, the latest upgrade company signature edition mods, and Brilliant Pebbles are a truly amazing combo.

Seriously though I don't think anyone can argue that denon doesn't makes some nice equipment.... I don't think this is a case of guilt by association. av123.sin is the bad apple here.

washburn

washburn

Audioholic
i might have worded my displeasure at Denon a bit too strongly. Sorry.
I want to make clear though, I didn't word my post about Denon because of av123; i just never thought Denon was the same company that existed in the 80's and 90's. They DID make very high-end stuff then, (not HT based, but stereo; I enjoyed a number of their higher end int. amps while i was living i Germany where Denon was highly regarded at that time - during 90's), but right now, I just feel Marantz is continuing better on the hi-end stereo stuff (Ken Ishiwata series, Reference series, etc) while Denon is not caring much about it anymore. I know it's very subjective, but I have always found similarly priced Marantz equipment sound better (to my ears) than Denon, even not-so-hi-end 2-ch receivers and amps.

And as we know, Denon's CS isn't very good - and they can be brought pretty much anywhere, where Marantz is keeping their stuff still keeping the acquisition of their stuff a bit more exclusive, and controlled.

Sorry for taking the topic off course a bit. :) and I didn't mean any harm.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Unless Something Has Changed,

MLS, aka TADG, aka Santa Schifter, aka Humbly Bumbly, will be in court tomorrow, April 6, for arraignment or something like that. I presume he's healthier now and is ready to effort forward. So folks, what will it be? Will he try to plead guilty to possibly reduced charges or will he plead not guilty? Place your bets here.

E

Eddie Horton

Junior Audioholic
I'll go out on a limb and say his ego won't let him plead guilty.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Plea bargain.
From what I understand, the evidence is pretty solid but I'd sure try that approach too if'n I was him. Tony, since you've been involved in professional fundraising for a number of years, what do you think it could be pleaded down to? Would there still be jail time? Full restitution, fines, admission of guilt, or what?

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
So if it is something like an arraignment, what does that process entail?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure, Minus. Maybe Harmon will chime in here. I'll see if I have time tomorrow to give the court clerk a call and see what I can find out.

washburn

washburn

Audioholic
MLS has been arrogant most of the time in his past - I also predict he's not going to plead guilty.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
The sensible thing to do would be to admit defeat and plead guilty, then try to see if they'll accept some sort of plea bargain. I don't know that Mark's capable of that, though - if I had to predict his decision, I'd guess he will plead not guilty.

On the other hand, if he pleads guilty, what's AV123 going to say on their site or their forum? Folks kept waiting for some official notice from the company when he was indicted, and that never happened. If he were to actually plead guilty, there'd be no reason to claim that they're keeping the matter quiet while they wait for the legal system to accept his humble explanation and forgive him.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The private Paypal records and the private records of the charities will tell the entire story. There is also public information on "underfunding".

Based on my legal experience, and the legal precedent of Simpson (1995); if the forum post doesn't exist, you must acquit. :D

T

tonygeno

Junior Audioholic
From what I understand, the evidence is pretty solid but I'd sure try that approach too if'n I was him. Tony, since you've been involved in professional fundraising for a number of years, what do you think it could be pleaded down to? Would there still be jail time? Full restitution, fines, admission of guilt, or what?
I've never been involved with this type of situation, so I have no idea what it could be pleaded down to. That said, if I were he the last thing I'd want to do is put myself in the hands of a jury of my peers. People who steal from charities do not do well in court. I would suspect he'd get the maximum if he tried to go the trial route. Hopefully (for him) he has some savvy lawyers who will advise him to plead guilty and negotiate a plea bargain.

M

mhawker

Audioholic
He'll plead guilty and then claim he has a disease he can't control... He's addicted to committing charity fraud... and collecting pre-pay money for products that will never be produced... and promising product deliveries that will never happen.

If only he could get some counseling or treatment, he'd be a different guy in no time.... for sure.

Anyone got Tiger's phone number? Maybe he and Mark could share a room while they are receiving their therapy sessions.

tesseract

tesseract

Audioholic
A "not guilty" plea at the start can lead to a plea bargain later, and delay the process. The state will be more likely to bargain if he shows that he will fight the charge.

I say, "not guilty" plea, then a "no contest" or "guilty" plea to finish the state's deal.

B

bunnyma357

Audioholic Intern
The Boulder County Daily Case Summary-

I have no idea what exactly "vacated" means, my guess is that it just means the case is no longer being handled by the Boulder DA, but has been handed to the Colorado AG's office since they list David Cosson as the Prosecutor.

I couldn't find any place that mentioned the actual plea, only the status of each step in the process.

Jim C

Attachments

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
It looks like those shady forces conspiring against MLS all these years have moved onto VA321's former discount outlet. :rolleyes:

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
An undisclosed source has provided the following for your consideration. This may be helpful if you've used this site, http://www.bouldercounty.org/da/jwebview/public_reports.htm to obtain information.

Here is what I think happened. Typically on the site you were looking at you would be able to follow along with the developments of any Boulder County case. But this is obviously different as the Colorado AG's office is involved instead of the Boulder DA's office. Schifter is being prosecuted in Boulder County with the Boulder County courts. The Colorado Attorney General's office is bringing forth the charges therefore the Boulder DA's office really has nothing to do with the case therefore their "case" is closed ("vacated"). Mr. Cosson of the AG's office is still pursuing the charges.
As for trial, that is only something Schifter and his lawyer can say. We are obviously ready for trial so it is up to Schifter to decide if he wishes to accept any plea bargain Mr. Cosson may present or plea not guilty and go to trial. The arraignment was vacated/closed with the DA's office because they are not doing the prosecution but the case is not done. This is information just based on my own experience with the Boulder DA's and the Colorado AG's.
I called the courthouse earlier and obtained the following information. There will be a Status Conference in one week, April 13, 2010, 8:15 AM, which will occur in Courtroom H located at the Justice Center. The full address is,

1777 Sixth Street
P.O. Box 4249
Boulder CO 80306

The Judge who will be presiding is Mary Gwynneth Whalen who is the 20th Judicial District Judge. Judge Whalen's bio can be found here: http://www.courts.state.co.us/Bio.cfm/Employee_ID/496

The phone number for the Court Clerk, Carol, is 303-441-3764. She has a voice mail if you can't reach her.

For those who have the time and inclination to attend these proceedings, you have enough information to do so. I dont know if there are any prohibitions like permits on tailgate parties but it's still too early to have one, but never to early to plan for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis