DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grantc79

Junior Audioholic
I'm the proudest parent in the world is all I have to say.

My baby thread that I started almost a year ago is still here and is still growing after all this time and is up to 250 something pages.

And my friend still doesn't have his stuff or his refund which is far from shocking but a huge smile came onto my face when I read this stuff this morning.

Kudos guys, everyone who put pressure on the guy oughta give himself a pat on the back.

Hopefully he rots.:cool:

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
I know that Matt.... I suppose I didn't want to believe it, but I said (and admited) as much earlier this morning.... http://forums.av123.com/showpost.php?p=757875&postcount=50
Cool, I know it hurts, I went through it too, but the realization hit me slowly over time which I guess dissipated some of the shock. First it was one or two raffles, and a mistake was plausible. Inexcusable but plausible and forgivable. Then I thought it was 4 or so raffles he stole from, maybe more. Then just a week or so ago, I found out it was definitely 7 and probably more and it started in early 2007 if not earlier. Now I find out it was basically all of the raffles, starting from day one in 2004.

It is hard to swallow that a guy you THOUGHT was a good person and maybe a friend was indeed nothing but a con. We all knew he fibbed and was a master of spin, but it wasn't just fibs and spins. It was much much worse, and we all feel like fools for not seeing the flashing neon signs that were there all along. We now know we should have never believed a word he ever said, but for a long time we did believe him and believed in him. But now it is time to stop believing. Not a penny that goes to the lawyers or courts would have gone to the charities, it seems that was never his intention. Without the cops and courts putting an end to this what better solution was there? What solution that does not rely on the goodness of a man who had none?

Last edited:
GirgleMirt

GirgleMirt

Audioholic
Once again, I was misunderstood in this case.
Yep, I'll gladly confirm that, I've read some of your posts on their official forums and taken your comments here way off... I guess after all of this, many are somewhat edgy about defending MLS in any way, but I see this was not the intention here :eek: Sorry!

chessman

Enthusiast
You guys can relax about the "blood-sucking lawyers." Defendants are not allowed to pay their legal fees with stolen money. If it is determined to have happened, the lawyers have to disgorge the funds.

quadriverfalls

quadriverfalls

Banned
Damn.... chessman gets a "thanks" on his very first post. I was 28 and counting before I got my first thanks. And then, I think Seth was going through and thanking folks and clicked on mine accidentally. :cool:

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Damn.... chessman gets a "thanks" on his very first post. I was 28 and counting before I got my first thanks. And then, I think Seth was going through and thanking folks and clicked on mine accidentally. :cool:
You want me to go back and remove it? :p

(that is a board option)

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
I did not know what thanks was, and it appears I not only have some, I GAVE ONE TOO! :eek: :D

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
You guys can relax about the "blood-sucking lawyers." Defendants are not allowed to pay their legal fees with stolen money. If it is determined to have happened, the lawyers have to disgorge the funds.
So if you swat a mosquito and it gives your blood back (only because it has no choice) is it not still a blood-sucker?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
The REAL sad part and losers here.... are whatever funds can be recovered will now go to the blood sucking lawyers, court costs, fines etc. Those will all come before any restitution I'm sure. So all of those that were due monies from this are now fully and finally screwed.

So while many of you are popping Champaign corks and loving every minute of this.... there are some who are going to, in the end.... be hurt far more than MLS. Of course, it could be argued that the raffles may have never been fully "funded." But with AV123 most likely to crash and burn (or if it stays in business - it most likely will be without MLS).... there isn't a chance in Hell a new owner will reach deep in their pockets to fund these raffles.

I just see this as a lose, lose, lose situation for ALL that are involved. :(
Maybe. Hard to say. He may have money we don't know about stashed away but that may come up if records are seized.

A long time ago Quad if you recall, I urged people to be pro-active in looking to get their speakers or money. Sue him. Only a few did. Quad, by my rough reckoning he's in the hole for maybe $2.5 Million. I think more. He burned every bridge - suppliers, factories, employees, etc. He no longer could get terms. He no longer could buy in bulk and take advantage of economies of scale. People were talking and the industry in the background had its own grapevine going. There was no way he could recover from that accumulated debt.

And you know what I heard from folks on other forums? They were afraid to make noise. Some trusted. Some were afraid if this happened it'd topple the company and they'd get nothing. People got paralyzed.

But my friend, tell me. Those charges are serious felonies. They're up there. Should I and others have stayed quiet when we knew full well crimes had been committed over several years? If a man robs a bank or steals a car and I know it but I hear he's had a moment of remorse and vows to return the money and return the car with a full tank of gas and nothing happens, what do I do? If I know a guy with a family and a mortgage rapes or assaults someone but if I tell his family will lose their house, what do I do?

Quad, I gave him a break. The first intended raffle beneficiary I contacted was The Ballet Nouveau. It was the oldest one. It was the one that I thought he'd never screw becasue it was the one his grand-daughter danced at. The contact form on their webpage was used and an inquiry was made. Eventually a response was made and after a couple more follow ups, what came out was that he kept the proceeds of the first raffle and only give $7,500 of the second.

At that point I knew if he'd use his own flesh and blood, he'd use anyone and any cause to steal from. More raffle beneficiaries were contacted. Some responded with a form letter and that was it. Others were much more interested so we cooperated.

As each month passed grand plans were talked and hinted about. We'd hear more about it. We'd see action rather than hear about it. Some eventually got their LS speakers. I'm happy about that. But where did the funds come from in order that some people got what they paid for long ago? From a tight ship and ruthless fiscal management? NO! It came from suppliers not being paid. It came from Santiago who took it up the sh!tter. It came from Ruben who got thrown under the bus. Thrown under so badly that he was fortunate to be able to have some family members bail him out. Had he not had those loving relatives, HE, HIS WIFE, and his FOUR KIDS would be out on the street!! The more time you give him, the more people he helps while at the same time crucifying others. Stealing from Peter to pay Paul and it's always a net loss.

I and others tried to give a heads up. Be proactive! Sue! Contact the authorities and I provided links. And what was I specifically told? Chu's got no dog in the hunt. He doesn't own any products. He's never did. He never contributed to the raffles. He has no right to speak. He has no right to criticize. He has no right to speak out for those who aren't speaking. How dare he think he's the voice for those who can't or choose not to speak? He doesn't know Mark like they do. Is Chu going to give them their money if Mark goes bankrupt? I'll bet Chu's got an agenda. Chu's mean spiritied. He only sees the negative. I'll bet Chu works for a competitor. Chu doesn't know the whole story.

And you know what Quad, I still hear that from some sh!theads on other forums. The more time you give him, the more people he's going to hurt while helping a few. It's nothing more than income redistribution. If I owe you $5,000 and I avoid paying Gonk $15,000 so I can give you what I owe you, am I a good guy? I'm a phuck damn it! He needs to be stopped and now in Boulder Country Jail maybe he is. If he's got to lose his business, lose his home, sell all he has, it's better than him screwing other people to fund those he owes.

J

just listening

Audioholic
Only when everyone who is owed money is paid in full, will I consider that justice is complete.

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
it's better than him screwing other people to fund those he owes.
And this is why people are ""popping champagne corks" over what is a very very sad situation. The stealing should hopefully be over now.

m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic
Only when everyone who is owed money is paid in full, will I consider that justice is complete.
No amount of money can repair the damage Mark has caused. Paying off everyone in full plus interest would be a start that barely scratched the surface. A nice start, but money is not something that can heal all.

B

BWG707

Audioholic
I noticed the thread "A Bad Day in Colorado" on "Tweak" has been closed because of "people piling on MLS". Unbelievable. He should be piled on and then some. I guess it was OK when MLS was doing it.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
I noticed the thread "A Bad Day in Colorado" on "Tweak" has been closed because of "people piling on MLS". Unbelievable. He should be piled on and then some. I guess it was OK when MLS was doing it.
Pretty unbelievable that MLS can be arrested and have a 5 count felony indictment handed down against him and they still won't allow discussion of MLS there.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Frankly I'm ashamed of the vast majority of the audio community on this topic. Most prevented threads like this one on their forums and instead suppressed any discussion of VA321 and MLS's shenanigans while allowing threads that praised his products. Then there were the puffy pieces in the online magazines like Affordable$$Audio that wrote flowery reviews of the products and praised Mark long after the cat was out of the bag.

I commend Audioholics for not circling the wagons and allowing an open airing of VA321 / MLS's dirty laundry.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Frankly I'm ashamed of the vast majority of the audio community on this topic. Most prevented threads like this one on their forums and instead suppressed any discussion of VA321 and MLS's shenanigans while allowing threads that praised his products. Then there were the puffy pieces in the online magazines like Affordable$$Audio that wrote flowery reviews of the products and praised Mark long after the cat was out of the bag.

I commend Audioholics for not circling the wagons and allowing an open airing of VA321 / MLS's dirty laundry.
Indeed. The Affordable Audio reviews errrr puff pieces that came out when this saga was infolding was amusing and yet also concerning. It shows all that is wrong within the media in this industry. Fortunetly there is still places like Audioholics which truely allow the voice of consumers.

Upmost respect should be given to Audioholics and individuals like Chu. This industry should be truely thankful to them for bringing attention to deceitful industry practices. While most companies won't like the stain this will leave on the industry, you can't continue having companies behaving in this fashion.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai

Well, to be fair, TCA did have a fairly long run of it. AVS has locked threads and in some cases deleted them or individual posts but in both cases the word managed to make its way out there. Then there was DontSchifterMeBro but I don't think it got a lot of posts and I don't know about the views. I poked around a little on other sites but didn't see much except maybe the occasional mention at Polk. People knew there were problems but this site and this site alone allowed a lot of leniency and I know because on more than one occasion I went overboard. Luckily I had my UniAudo life jacket on.

One thing we've all seen is that the community has power and it can use this power for the betterment of all. People that make other products are coming to realize that the community is no longer going to sit and be served regurgitated pablum. We're not going to buy it if they say they've got several factories. We've got the means if we put our minds to it to find out if they own the factories or if they just place orders. There'll be more tough questions asked in the future and if you say you design a product, we're going to find out if you did it soup to nuts, or you just layed out the cosmetics and lettering. So, to all you companies out there, you better start treating us a lot better and be more honest in what you you say because whether we're a half full or half empty kind of person, we're going to throw that glass of water in your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis