DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I also see parallels with Nixon & Clinton (see, I nailed both political parties!) where they put forth the thought that there were people out to get them. Paranoia. I'd just like him to start paying off on the raffles and making good on everything else. You hear this Mark? Take the money from the estate settlement and start settling already!!! Once you do, you just might find that your site which has 10,000 or so members won't just have a dozen or so talking.
No, he's just doing whatever he can to "trick" people to buying from him :eek:

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
No, he's just doing whatever he can to "trick" people to buying from him :eek:
Well at VA321, he does control the horizontal and vertical. People will be willing to overlook just about anything if the price is right.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
There was this guy who posted a few times at VA321, and I wish that I could locate him so that he'd perhaps post here. His name was Jive420. Now, he didn't post much there, but he really nailed it back when Shifty was posting all his letters and 'opening' up to the forum members. Virtually everyone was being taken in by it and literally singing "We'll rally 'round the flag boys..." with Shifty as the flag. The following post in particular resonated with me.

Love the new marketing campaign here that revolves around a letter to be followed by a 2nd letter and then subsequent letters. I guess the thinking here is that forum members and potential customers will be drawn to the site waiting for those letters. That's great bait and hook marketing as they say. MLS is truly the Showman -or- he's dancing as fast as he can.
The above was posted in November '08 and just about everyone was so happy they were being (mis)informed, treated with honesty, and sincerity. For example, look at this post by a KingDeezie.

I know its easy to become jaded in the day and age we live in; but honestly the sheer amount of "naysayers" that are swooping in to save us "kool-aid intoxicated Schifterites" is just downright heaven sent!

To think that those of us here, who after all this time, thought that Mark was truly a one of kind genuinely amazing person, have been bamboozled and straight out tricked!

To think, naively, that these letters were written to give the customers and family members of this forum, a true to heart look at the issues that av123 has faced this year; now just seems foolish.

Thank you, ever so much, for opening all of our eyes to the trickery and deceptive antics that we have been slaves to.

I guess Mark was waiting to finish executing his latest sham; offering even lower prices and deals on all of his amazing products, before he lured us all in further with his "subsequent letters."
Prophetic, don't you think?

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
It's funny, if that was written any time in the last year I would totally never assume it was being sarcastic.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Kinda makes you wonder where Kingdeezie is today. For that matter, how come the other 'Mark's a screw-up but he's really a good guy and I know he'll eventually make good' folks haven't mosied on over to VA321 and started chatting it up?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
If you got your LS9's

did you get this too? It's from an older post by the Shift-meister.

Greetings All…

This is part two of the LS Update – and I’m going to put this in the most condensed form I can. I’m going to apologize in advance for any “marketing style stuff” that might offend – but frankly a great deal of thought and “extras” have been a part of this entire process…

With each upgrade I’m going to say a few words – OK

Super Premium MDF

In each case (China and Columbia) I have authorized the use of a Super Premium MDF that will make a very significant difference in the cabinet construction and overall performance. This is actually quite important (and expensive).

Plexiglas Name Plates

You’ll love our new Plexiglas nameplates on the back of the speakers. They are really nifty – reverse screened, and in my opinion --- sexy.

Sonicap Upgrade

Danny has ordered that we install Sonicaps in all musical signal paths of the crossover. This adds 4 more of these fellows. I know there is a lot of controversy about the “sound” of capacitors – but I will only say this – Sonicaps are really a wonderful add-on. They are ridiculously expensive by the virtue of their construction – and IMHO they do add to the overall design.

UPOCC Wiring

All of these LS’s will be wired by UPOCC cabling. This is a special variant of a wire that’s “Continuous Cast – Single Crystal Construction” – Big step up again, and one where I do believe a benefit can be had with this design.

Upgraded Binding Posts

YEP… we’re going for it. These are the mega-expensive Solid Copper – Custom Built jobs that all the big names use. This is another one of those upgrades where many might argue the benefit – but in the end we feel that these additions help us put our very best foot forward.

Upgraded Dampening Materials

We will be using our own version of a Wall Dampener – Resonance Controller that is frankly OFF THE HOOK wonderful. Premium dampening materials only in this area. I honestly believe that this makes an enormous difference in the overall sound. I’m excited about this one…

Special Solder

Just a short note to let everyone know that we will be using the very nice ONIX Solder in the construction of these beauties. Again, a small detail – but one that I’m proud enough to talk about.

Mills Resistor Upgrade

Danny has ordered that one very important resistor (the shunt in the woofer section) be upgraded to a Mills Variety resistor. So ordered – and now done.

Remember The Door ~ aka Mr. Bass Management

Please note that there is this nifty door down at the bottom of your speakers that will allow you to easily (and effectively) change the bass response of your LS Series Loudspeakers. The original contemplated removing a woofer and changing the jumpers manually with the speaker “open” and “in surgery”. This upgrade makes me smile.

Assembled in Colorado

There will be a special team brought in to do the assembly of these in our factory in Longmont, Colorado. Lynn Schifter will be heading this up (herself) and any of you that have worked with Lynn know that she is ULTRA-hard to please and as demanding as I am about quality. Nothing will leave Longmont, CO without everything being absolutely perfect.

A quick last note…

Danny has decided that we will not be using Foil Type Inductors in this crossover. He and I talked about this one more time today – and his conclusion is that this is just not necessary given the overall design, etc.

Last Note X2

I have decided that we will be offering an alternative base design that is very similar to the original one I designed for Genesis and Epiphany. We will connect with each of you about this. I personally love “The X” – but at these prices we want you to love love love what you are getting – and that includes a base that will make you smile every time you look at it.

I will also be coming to you soon about the very special packing and crating we will be using to ensure safety in transport.

Tomorrow I will post more about the delivery schedules…

Thanks so much ---

All the best…

mls
If not, then maybe what you got was an LS9 lite.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
You mean they might not follow through with their promises? Surely you can't be talking about AV123. ;)

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
You mean they might not follow through with their promises? Surely you can't be talking about AV123. ;)
I don't know what it is that people have received other than they all had delays. Those that have received product seem to be thrilled they finally got what they'd paid for years ago, I don't think they even remember what the speaker was supposed to come with. Heck, I forgot so I posted that as a check list that people can use. Call it a public service announcement.

If we know anything about Shifty it's that he's generous to himself with other people's money. When it comes to providing reliable, problem free, quality product, he cuts corners. He saves a little by not providing serial numbers with the added benefit that someone just might be clever enough to figure out what the alphanumerics mean and then call him on just how many of something he's sold. There's not an electronic item that he's had made and sold that doesn't have problems. Binding posts have gotten cheaper and the workmanship is what you'd expect from somebody that's incompetent. When it comes to making good, he's so tight that rumor has it he once squeezed a nickel and made the buffalo fart.

S

stevo238

Banned
I still look in at what's going on at AV123 from time to time. It's certainly not the same place it once was. A fella writing in the subwoofer thread there recently purchased two subs that are experiencing rattling. More "shipping" problems Kyle? It's interesting how (at least with the MFW-15) a good portion of these subwoofers need repair. It's become almost commonplace, a business as usual attitude that sometime in your new MFW's lifetime it may require a little Do It Yourself pick me up. Maybe Schifter should shift to an all do it yourself kind of business. Call it DIY123.

In some sick twisted way, I think some buyer's of AV123 products wish for something to go wrong so they can be closer to the ownership/AV123 experience. That's an experience that is long gone though. I think the new generation of starry eyed enthusiasts were born to be suckers.

Hey Stereodude, remember when you were a starry eyed ingenue at AV123. Now those were the days.

M

mhawker

Audioholic
Hey Stereodude, remember when you were a starry eyed ingenue at AV123. Now those were the days.
The ingénue (pronounced /ˈænʒənuː/) is a stock character in literature, film, and a role type in the theatre; generally a girl or a young woman who is endearingly innocent and wholesome.
Typically, the ingenue is beautiful, gentle, sweet, virginal, and often naïve, in mental or emotional danger, or even physical danger, usually a target of The Cad; whom she may have mistaken for The Hero.
"Voice of Reason" yes, but an endearingly innocent and wholesome young woman might be a bit of a stretch. :D

S

stevo238

Banned
Stereodude always took things too literally too.

The word geek is a slang term, noting individuals as "a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, etc.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Stereodude always took things too literally too.
Hey Stevo, remember when you used to suffer from diarrhea of the fingers, posting whatever tactless, classless, and incorrect things that popped into your mind before they overflowed it and vanished for good?

Oh wait... What am I talking about. That's still your Modus Operandi... My bad...

I'll just leave you to your smelly keyboard.

S

stevo238

Banned
Hey Stevo, remember when you used to suffer from diarrhea of the fingers, posting whatever tactless, classless, and incorrect things that popped into your mind before they overflowed it and vanished for good?

Oh wait... What am I talking about. That's still your Modus Operandi... My bad...

I'll just leave you to your smelly keyboard.
Sometimes it takes a sledgehammer to knock some sense into people.Tactless-maybe, classless-never. You sound angry dude. Maybe that's because it took you so long to figure out who Schifter really is. That was easy for me. You may not have liked my methods, but there's no denying that Schifter is a snake and you and Matt had to learn that the hard way. You know, I'd really like for you too point out (besides the tactless stuff) from the AV123 forum where I was wrong about Schifter. Got any examples?

Matt34

Matt34

You really have out lived your welcome here. I've never seen a post where you have contributed positively to anything, on any forum.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
back OT, of the many people screwed over ... isn't there ANYONE doing any legal action?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Perhaps my mind is too slow.....

And I still don't really understand what happened to AV123, coz once they provided many products at exceedingly good prices, and I experienced a service level at least up to par with the best I ever experienced anywhere.

So once this seemed to be professional guys delivering top notch products at good prices and even providing first rate service to customers overseas (yes I had a claim an they fixed it immediately)

Of course I would never buy here again, but I'm very happy with what I got from them.....

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
back OT, of the many people screwed over ... isn't there ANYONE doing any legal action?
A general theme that has surfaced several times, is that most people are afraid to pursue legal action or even publicly voice their screwing over in a sustained fashion. When I've done so on other sites, these are some of the paraphrased responses I've obtained.

• You have an agenda.
  • You work for a competitor.
  • You have no right to comment because you're not a product owner.
  • You have no right to comment because you didn't contribute to the raffles.
  • You don't know the man.
  • He's a victim and doing the best he can.
  • If AV123 goes under are you going to warranty my product?
  • If AV123 goes under are you going to pay me my money back?

Stuff like that Mike C.

The folks that have donated money to the fraudulent and illegally run raffles to my knowledge have not pursued any individual legal action. My guess is they figure that life's lesson cost them $20 or $100 and they've chalked it up to a learning experience and will never do business with either Mark or VA321 as well as never recommend them to anyone.

The folks that prepaid for LS whatevers fall into two camps - one that wants their money back and one that wants their product. The former has only spoken out occasionally. They're willing to suffer the loss of inflation as well as earned interest. While the amounts are well under what can be sued for in small claims court, the matter is complicated by their living out of state. The logistics many feel are insurmountable so they wait hoping that their turn will come. I've spoken to many privately and they often state that they constantly email and call MLS pressing their case. They're still pressing.

The folks that got suckered into paying for the honor of being part of the RSL-II beta program likely fall into the two camps above.

To the best of my knowledge, neither Sloan Kettering, Derek, Hugh (on behalf of his friend who died), or Ballet Nouveau have pursued legal actions. Call it life's lessons or the amount is insufficient to warrant legal expenditures, or indifference. The Russian orphanage(s) in Khabarovsk, well they know nothing about their being beneficiaries. They'll never see the money. The other recipients, well all I can say is that their responses have been along the lines of form letters that don't inspire.

There are some individuals and companies who have done business with or for VA321 that can reasonably be said to have no further ties at this time. You can infer who they are by thinking about who no longer post with any sort of regularity. Considerable sums are still owed in those cases with only one receiving something that amounts to a somewhat regular payment. At the rate they're being paid off, it'll be five years or so before they receive what's owed. It is only the utterly naive supplier that doesn't know VA321 has welched. The industry does talk through their own grapevine and these things go around. Hence, it's now very much a cash first business for VA321 and in the business world when you can't get terms. Ask if you don't know what terms are.

There are individuals who might be considered at one time to be friends, but friends with deep pockets. They have invested or have loaned money to MLS in the past. At one time they were repaid. But not necessarily repaid from the ongoing profits from VA321. You could make a strong case that it was a matter of robbing Peter to pay Paul or like using one credit card to pay off another. Eventually it all catches up with you and there's no one left to keep the never ending circle going. Comparisons with Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme approach are not unwarranted, IMO. Why, I've heard that there's one person who was so sure at one time that MLS was the truth and a sure bet that not only did he give him well in excess of 5 figures, but got his mother to invest too. But, not all have idly sat by. There are lawsuits that were already initiated and won. There are lawsuits in progress and there are lawsuits pending.

I hope this reply to some extent answers your question and if it doesn't I can be reached privately.

C

cmryan821

Junior Audioholic
I think the problem most people have with taking legal action is that the cost of doing anything is very close to the amount they stand to get back. I imagine it would be less costly if you lived in Colorado, but I've no idea how many people that might include.

As for the people involved with the raffles, I don't want to speculate how the intended recipients might feel about the whole situation. As for the people who contributed to the raffles, I suppose it's a small price to pay to be a little wiser. Definitely to small to bring legal action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis