DO NOT buy a Sony SXRD TV!!!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
As to the life of the bulb lasting an average of three years, as stated, that is based on an average hours per day viewing, but the bulb can go sooner due to but not limited to, poor circulation of air if in a cabniet, pets, and one of the biggest, surges that shut the tv off without the fan comming on to cool the bulb down. All of these factors could contribute to bulb failure. The bulb is a replaceable part, with a limited life. I agree that sony has no liability in the issue. As for the cost of the bulb while seming to be high, check out the cost of this HPS light http://www.specialty-lights.com/4405.html $175 for 150 watts and large, so 150watts in a small specialty bulb for $200 doesnt seem out of line.:rolleyes:

P

ParkerAudio

Full Audioholic
The longevity (relative to time in ownership) is relative to the usage and settings of the TV. Good grief, this is ridiculous. RESEARCH! I can't say it enough. Sorry for the seemingly negative attitude, but maybe this will jar the OP into doing a little more of the "R" word next time they decide to get a new TV. I'm not trying to be mean, it's just unbelievable how unreasonable people are at times, especially when it's something that's been brought to consumers' attention on numerous accounts.
I think if you look at the math in my prior post no one should assume that the op ran his TV for 14 hours a day, that is crazy. 1.5 years is way below the average. Why is everyone assuming that this poster had his TV on all the time and his settings cranked. It is more likely that he was using it below the average amount, then whiting out his display.
I think more than likely this guy got a dud of a bulb, and that sometimes we take a hit on products that don't live up to expectations. Has nothing to do with researching an item. Perhaps he did research the item, and found that the bulb should last longer than 1.5 years. I don't necessarily see a lot of posts or information pointing to bulbs burning out in that amount of time, more likely the inverse is true.
If you calculate the cost of a new bulb in, which on the AVERAGE should last much longer than his first bulb, will be getting a great picture for a fairly low price for years to come.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
IMHO there was no need for some of the feedback which was directed at the OP. Obviously he felt likewise! All the research I had done before making my decision to buy a DLP lead me to believe that the average life span of the bulb was approx 8000hrs. I am now going on 2.5 yrs with an average usage of 20-25 hrs per week without issue. Even worst case scenario with usage that would double my 20-25 hrs/week the bulb should of lasted 3yrs!! Then again if my bulb blew before its time I should be happy right because it is only $300.00 to replace and the money would be burning a hole in my pocket, anyways!! ;)

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Again, how does anyone here no exacty what happened, if it was a surge that caused it, would we be talking about bulb hours:cool:

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Does it matter how many hours it lasted? The OP was clearly totally unaware that these TVs have light bulbs that need replacing every now and then - much less that the bulbs cost a couple hundred bucks.

P

ParkerAudio

Full Audioholic
I think if the bulb would have lasted 8 years, the OP would have been happy with the bulb.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Also just read that sets with "dynamic" setting in use will cause the bulb to burn out on average 3000hr sooner. More food for thought for the next uniformed buyer looking to be informed first.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
More food for thought for the next uniformed buyer looking to be informed first.
Don't sweat it, OP, you don't need to wear a uniform when doing research on or buying HDTVs. I wear plaid pants and bowling shirts and I do fine. :p

cheers,
supervij

C

cccsdad

Audiophyte
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Samsung's LED DLP's. LED should be a lot more reliable and long enduring light source. Granted you still have to worry about the mechanical color wheel mechanism.
The Samsung LED-DLP, doesn't use a color wheel. It uses 3 LED chips, Red, Blue and Green. It has a really nice picture but a horrible viewing angle. If you have a long narrow room, where everyone can site at 45 degrees of center and in, it's nice. Oh, and your eye level needs to be dead center with the screen, or very close.

Last edited:
J

Joewee

Audiophyte
Guys,

You need to do more checking on replacement bulbs,
here is a link for one for $82

Sorry can't post a link yet I am new here. Msg me if you want the
link.

You don't need the housing just the bulb and you save a lot
of money.

Don't worry be happy!

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
$250 for a replacement from Sony is actually pretty cheap. DLP bulbs usually run in the $400 range. Also did you guys know that XBR SXRD Sony's actually come with a replacement bulb in the box? I was going to buy a 60" XBR SXRD before getting my plasma and the sales guy at the Home Theater Store was telling me about this. I was also contemplating getting their service plan for $250 for 4 years which covered 2 bulbs as well. So in 4 years you could technically go through 4 bulbs at no added cost other than the out the door one.

Soundman

Soundman

Audioholic Field Marshall
$250 for a replacement from Sony is actually pretty cheap. DLP bulbs usually run in the $400 range. Also did you guys know that XBR SXRD Sony's actually come with a replacement bulb in the box? I was going to buy a 60" XBR SXRD before getting my plasma and the sales guy at the Home Theater Store was telling me about this. I was also contemplating getting their service plan for $250 for 4 years which covered 2 bulbs as well. So in 4 years you could technically go through 4 bulbs at no added cost other than the out the door one.
Very good point. I was going to mention this myself. It does make the buyer feel better knowing they already have a replacement bulb included with the set. Also, the a3000 has about the best PQ you can get with a rear projection TV. I campared it with the Mits.'s and Samsungs and it was hands down the best picture, more accurate colors, looked a tad sharper too. The problem is that now that Sony has gotten out of RPTV's, it would be difficult to find this set. So, I think the OP did a decent job researching b/c these sets do produce a very nice picture.

S.R. Johnson

S.R. Johnson

Junior Audioholic
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Samsung's LED DLP's. LED should be a lot more reliable and long enduring light source. Granted you still have to worry about the mechanical color wheel mechanism.
there is no color wheel in the samsung led dlp sets

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yup, I figured as much... usually someone is when their first and only post is bashing a product like that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis